Quilt or Bag

Code_red

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to invest in a good sleep system and was wondering what everyone thought for a good all around (all around for me is spring to around 18° late fall) I like the idea of a quilt and a puffy but have never used one. I’m a side sleeper and toss and turn quite a bit so I don’t know how this would work for me. And with the bag again, I toss and turn like I’m on fire so I don’t know if being zipped into a bag would be very fun either lol.

Sounds like you're a lot like me and I really prefer the quilt. I have a 10* quilt made by VIAM Outdoors with the Apex insulation and I love that thing. I use it all year long with no issues. The only way to really know is to try it. I bought a bag to start and couldn't stand being trapped in it so I tried the quilt and have had no issues.

OP
C

Code_red

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you're a lot like me and I really prefer the quilt. I have a 10* quilt made by VIAM Outdoors with the Apex insulation and I love that thing. I use it all year long with no issues. The only way to really know is to try it. I bought a bag to start and couldn't stand being trapped in it so I tried the quilt and have had no issues.

Awesome man thanks for the recommendation! What pad do you run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a fellow side sleeper and tosser and turner, I much prefer a quilt for almost all conditions. When you toss and turn you end up twisted and tangled and restricted in a bag. The quilt will just stay in place when you roll over from once side to the other. I run a couple of different enlightened equipment quilts depending on the weather forecast.

OP
C

Code_red

Lil-Rokslider
As a fellow side sleeper and tosser and turner, I much prefer a quilt for almost all conditions. When you toss and turn you end up twisted and tangled and restricted in a bag. The quilt will just stay in place when you roll over from once side to the other. I run a couple of different enlightened equipment quilts depending on the weather forecast.

How do you like the enlightened equipment stuff? I’ve been eyeballing those for a while just hadn’t pulled the trigger. Do you use the apex insulation or the down?

Awesome man thanks for the recommendation! What pad do you run?

Klymit Static V Lite. I also run an ultra light bug bivy as my ground cloth and it keeps everything contained and bug protection when I need it in my flourless setup. Works great!!

bobr1

WKR
I toss and turn a lot and also side sleep. I spent a ton of time researching and contacting companies for quilts. There are several cottage companies that make really good quality quilts but I ended up going with hammock gear after a lot of research and contacting several of them. I have three of their bags. I chose them because they have amazing customer service and can customize your quilt to exactly what you want. They also have an extremely quick turn around time. I ordered a custom quilt and it was at my door in less than a week. Some of larger and more well know companies can take forever to get a response and lead time can be up to 2 months. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them but excellent customer service makes a big difference to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How do you like the enlightened equipment stuff? I’ve been eyeballing those for a while just hadn’t pulled the trigger. Do you use the apex insulation or the down?

Both of my quilts from them are down, I did make my own summer quilt with apex though.

WKR
I'm 6'7" tall and ordered the 7' EE quilt, 20 degree and the max width. I toss around under it but stay warm. If you get a draft, just tuck it in a little. Doubt I ever go back to a bag.

I just picked up an EE convert and used it during the second rifle season here in Colorado and I’m about to use it up in Oregon. So far it’s pretty sweet, I can run it as a bag, quilt or blanket.

OP
C

Code_red

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up an EE convert and used it during the second rifle season here in Colorado and I’m about to use it up in Oregon. So far it’s pretty sweet, I can run it as a bag, quilt or blanket.

What temp rating did you get

MtnMuley

WKR
Side sleeper here too. Montbell Spiral Downhugger bag for me. You couldnt pay me enough to use a quilt in colder weather again.

Conroy

WKR
I use the EE Conundrum in a 10F for just about everything. I used it in Wyoming last week when the temperatures were in the low 30's at night with no problems. I am 6'7" so I went with the X-Long and X-Wide. I like the sewn foot box with the option to zip up into a full bag if I feel like it. I am a little claustrophobic sleeping in a bag because I move around too much.

tmwtrfwler

Lil-Rokslider
i just got back from a trip to Wyoming where I used my quilt for the first time. I got the Enlightened Equipment Revelation in xwide/xlong 0 degree bag. paired with a thermarest neoair xTherm I was able to sleep in my ex officio boxer briefs by themselves in temps down to 30 degrees (the coldest it got on us at night there) and stay really warm. There was only one night I put on my hat just to try it out. It slept just like being in my own bed compared to a mummy bag. I roll around and shift all night no matter where I sleep so the quilt was ideal for me. I'll never got to a mummy bag again.

i did use the footbox drawn tight but that's it.

FLAK

WKR
I have a 20' BA Hog Park I bought for the xtra room and its still not enough and HVY.
I need to buy a quilt too.

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
Love enlightened equipment quilts! Have been using since they came out. Currently have a 20F and a 40F Apex. Combine the two for colder temps. I’m a side sleeper and a tosser. 6-4, 185lbs and using long/wide. 20F is bigger so that it layers over the other better. Will never go back to a bag.... I do typically use them inside a Borah Gear bivy to help cut down on drafts.

I’m really glad I had the Apex for my hunting trip last week in the BWCA. Highs in low 40s, raining and high humidity for 4 days would have completely collapsed a down system. The Apex came out pretty wet around my feet especially, but was still keeping me warm.

LandYacht

WKR
Bag with a full length zipper. Best of both worlds. Check out the WM Versalite.