Kodiak canvas w/ buddy heater review

Just wanted to share my experience this season - arguably the coldest 1st Rifle season in CO in many years (from what I was told).

In the past I had been hunting the muzzleloader season, which didn't require much in the way of a tent - whether at base camp or in the back country. However knowing I was going 1st rifle this year and that it could be much colder and possibly snowing (and it was), I decided to invest in a 10x10 Kodiak Canvas tent and a regular buddy heater with the propane bottle hose.

Short story - it worked fantastic. Easily the most comfortable elk camp I've had yet, even with the wet snow and single digit temps.

With me and my hunting partner each on a cot, there was room inside for my 4' table that had my 2-burner Coleman stove, plus my Coleman Northstar lantern. My misc. plastic tub fit neatly under the table and was easily accessed for food, paper towels, etc. Maybe the best part is that I'm 6'4" and I could easily stand straight up. In fact, I never hit my head on the tent and never even thought about it. For a guy who's had back surgery, that is a really nice feature.

When the temps got down in the 20's, we would run the heater until we went to bed, then just left on the pilot light. The pilot light acted like a night light, and was very convenient for when nature called in the middle of the night.

When the temps dropped into the single digits, we did leave the heater on low all night, with zero issues. I vented a window up high and another down low behind the heater. Neither of us ever felt sick or had a headache or any issues, but YMMV so I'd say do what you're comfortable with.

I'm pretty sure my Coleman Northstar lantern put off as much or more heat than the buddy heater, so in the morning I would get up and turn the heater to high and turn on the lantern. Within 2-3 minutes the upper half of the tent was easily 60-70 degrees. Warm enough that I was changing into a t-shirt and shorts. The lower part of the tent was still cool, but very comfortable. Even the coldest nights, I slept in my 20 deg. Sierra Designs down bag wearing just shorts and a t-shirt. I didn't even wear socks the last two nights even though it was around 20 outside.

We put up a couple hanging clotheslines inside the tent to dry clothes, and they were always dry every morning.

If we had needed to, a 3rd person could have fit in just fine, but we would have lost room to dress and stretch out.

Best purchase I made, aside from the tent and heater, was a 6x8' carpet that rolled out onto the middle of the floor. I can't tell you how nice it was to put my feet on that carpet each morning instead of the rubber floor. Best $16 of the trip IMO.

Setup of the Kodiak canvas tent could not have been simpler, which was a good thing since we had a total of three camp locations over the 10 days we were there. We set it up the first time, and took it down the first time, with some wet snow coming down. I used a shovel to scrape out a 12x12 space and then put the footprint down (well worth the extra $10 btw) and then put down the tent. Even through all that snow, the tent stayed very clean.

At the 2nd camp site, we got winds out in the open that would estimate were 25-30 mph, and the only issue we had was a pole on the awning came loose. I eventually rolled up that awning and left it that way. If there is only one thing I didn't care for on that tent, it was that the awning was too small and too low to be of any use. Rolled up, I never missed it.

I was concerned that I would regret buying the cheapest Kodiak tent, but I never missed any of the additional features of the more expensive models. I guess you can't miss what you never had, but there really isn't much I'd change about that tent, or the heater system. Before using this system, I had strongly considered getting a tent with a stove jack, or even putting a stove jack in my Kodiak Canvas tent. Now that I've used it with the buddy heater, I don't see the point.

Anyway, that's my experience for anyone that's considering this option. I give that tent and heater two thumbs up.

Last edited:

wyosteve

WKR
Thanks for the review. I've been debating a Kodiak since I sold my wall tent and spent some nights this summer in a similar style, i.e. Springbar.

Had my maiden voyage with my 10x14 kodiak canvas last week as well in MT. I love that thing. We also moved 3 times and I can set it up solo easily in less than 10 minutes. I have been using nothing but backpacking tents for the last few years and it makes the stratospire 2 and Supermid feel pretty spartan.

I was crunched for time and just picked up a portable buddy heater while driving from CA to MT for the hunt. It took the bite off in the tent but didn't have enough BTU's to get things really cooking inside (30's outside). On day 4 it stopped working, seems like there is line clogged or something, the propane cans really popped off when unscrewing them like there was gas pressure pushing them off.

Still researching for the best option to add a wood stove.

Get a blue flame propane wall heater. Can get them in 10,20,30000 btu and they have a thermostat.
Best place to buy is a fireplace/bbq store, you have to get some fitting and a hose made to go to the propane bottle. And a feet kit so it will stand up in the tent. Put a piece of foil tape over the back of the thermostat as sitting on the floor of a cold tent it will be to hot before it shuts off if you dont.

Do not get the ceramic panel on as they do not regulate the heat at well.

Mac7

WKR
Thanks for the review. Been thinking about going this route. Getting tired of setting up the 14x16 wall tent and cutting wood to feed the stove.

muddydogs

WKR
I ran the same tent with the big buddy heater before I got the toy hauler. If I had to do it over again I would go with the 10x12 Kodiak as the 10x10 is fairly crowded with 2 big wide cots in it. Springbar tents are about the same as the Kodiak, have been around longer then Kodiak and there good tents as well. A few years ago I found a 10x12 springbar without a floor, think it was there old picnic shelter, which makes a great cook tent. Survived heavy snows and lots of rain in my old Kodiak and Springbar tents.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I read a lot of reviews from folks who got the 10x10 and later said they wished they had gotten the 10x12, so I was a bit nervous when I ordered my 10x10. But after 10 nights in a wide variety of weather, I am happy to say the 10x10 was plenty enough room for me, my buddy and all our supplies. My buddy was even doing back exercises on the floor of the tent some mornings, while I made breakfast. I'm a pretty big guy and get crowded easily. I never felt crowded in my 10x10, but of course YMMV.

Brado16

WKR
I read a lot of reviews from folks who got the 10x10 and later said they wished they had gotten the 10x12, so I was a bit nervous when I ordered my 10x10. But after 10 nights in a wide variety of weather, I am happy to say the 10x10 was plenty enough room for me, my buddy and all our supplies. My buddy was even doing back exercises on the floor of the tent some mornings, while I made breakfast. I'm a pretty big guy and get crowded easily. I never felt crowded in my 10x10, but of course YMMV.

A few questions for you:
What elevations were you camped at and did you have any issues with the buddy heater not staying lit?
Did you have any condenstion buildup from the propane?
Do you have any pictures of the interior with the cots and your gear showing how much space there is once setup?

A few questions for you:
What elevations were you camped at and did you have any issues with the buddy heater not staying lit?

I too am curious what elevation you were at. I had troubles with mine at high elevation.

eagle_eye

FNG
A friend of mine let me borrow his 10x10 Kodiak tent 2 years ago. I bought the Big Buddy heater for a heat source.
We had two cots. Had some cold days. Near zero and the Buddy heater performed flawlessly.
No condensation at all. If I were to buy a Kodiak, I probably would go one size bigger for a little more room.
It was just a little tight, but not too bad.

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I found a craigslist deal on the 12x9 Kodiak Canvas, the one that has the porch. I only had to pay 400 bucks for basically brand new! Hunting partner and I used the buddy heater around 10k' elevation this year and it worked well. One thing I wish I would have done was to put a tarp as a footprint under the tent so that when rolling up the underside of the floor would have been dry for packing up. Other than that it worked great. Fairly easy for two guys to put up, lots of room, the porch is nice for shade and waiting out weather. I like the idea of a piece of carpet in there, I'll be adding this for next season.

I will add that we only ran the heater when we were awake. Alarm goes off, start heater, hit snooze. In 9 minutes the tent was pretty cozy. I plan on using a portable CO alarm next year for peace of mind. I also bumped the heater once and the built in safety mechanisms shut it down. If you are using the heater a lot you can run a hose out the door connected to a 20lb tank to mess with changing the green cans less.

Last edited:

efnm

WKR
I hunt in NM and worry more about dirt instead of snow but that will change with a late December cow hunt. It's good to hear the buddy heater works well for the tent although I have a 10x14 due to usually hunting with 3-4 more people.

As a desert dewller, I also put a 10x14 tarp inside the entire tent. It makes cleaning the dirt and debris out take about 10 seconds.

OP
Newtosavage
A few questions for you:
Did you have any condenstion buildup from the propane?
Do you have any pictures of the interior with the cots and your gear showing how much space there is once setup?

The highest we camped was 9200 feet according to my GPS. We had ZERO condensation issues. I was expecting some, esp. because of the wet snow, but none at all.

Here's a picture of the 150 pound raccoon that I hunted with. I think this was the 3rd or 4th time he had to "organize" all his stuff while I attempted to take a mid-day nap. Yea...

Attachments

• 43555422_10215918131380653_6603910446967685120_n.jpg
    43555422_10215918131380653_6603910446967685120_n.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 466
  • 44723323_10215918129660610_1672001609799827456_n.jpg
    44723323_10215918129660610_1672001609799827456_n.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 444

muddydogs

WKR
I had a problem with my Big Buddy heater staying lit when running off the hose and bulk tank. What I figured out is if I leave a green bottle screwed in to the second bottle port the heater runs just great, take the bottle off and the heater acts up. It doesn't seem to matter if the green bottle is full or empty so I just leave an empty bottle on one side and hook the hose to the other. Not sure what the fix is with the smaller Buddy heater.

OP
Newtosavage
I had a problem with my Big Buddy heater staying lit when running off the hose and bulk tank. What I figured out is if I leave a green bottle screwed in to the second bottle port the heater runs just great, take the bottle off and the heater acts up. It doesn't seem to matter if the green bottle is full or empty so I just leave an empty bottle on one side and hook the hose to the other. Not sure what the fix is with the smaller Buddy heater.

Sorry - can't help you. I never experienced any issue with my smaller heater running off the big bottle and hose.

muddydogs

WKR
Sorry - can't help you. I never experienced any issue with my smaller heater running off the big bottle and hose.
Not my problem and maybe its not a problem with the Buddy Heater. Guys asking the question didn't really specify if they are using the Buddy or Big Buddy heater.

Firehawk

WKR
Great review and it echoes my experiences as well. While I haven't had to hunt in that cold of temperatures in recent history, I have in the past. We have used our Kodiaks and the Mr Buddy heaters for years up to just over 10k feet and it has worked well. I have the 10x14 version and this past summer I picked up the Vestibule attachment that goes onto the awning. I added a couple extra grommets to the rain fly and it was awesome. I really wished that I had purchased that several years ago as it was a game changer.

During archery season, we set up our lawn chairs in the awning area and a table. Enjoyed many meals there and I starting putting piece of carpet in the tent a few years ago as well. Awesome way to keep it clean, but especially helps when getting out of beds/cots on a cold morning. I also have a couple of floor mats, one outside the door under the awning and one just inside the door. Makes for keeping the floor much cleaner and gives you a place to take off muddy boots if needed.

FWIW that has been my experience. My buddies each have one as well. One has bought the hose attachment for his Mr Buddy Heater that he then runs outside to the larger propane tank when it is going to be really cold or when the length of stay is extended. It is pretty convenient. That said, I just use the small one pound cans and it works great.

FH

Kodiak Tent.jpgKodiak Tent 2.jpg

Last edited: