Kodiak canvas w/ buddy heater review

elkduds

WKR
Had my10x10 Kodiak @ 10K for CO's muzzleloader hunt, 2nd week of Sept. I was solo. Temps were up around 80 during days, 40s @ night. Heat source was tank top heater on 20# propane bottle, never got cold enough to truly test it. Tried it on low setting last morning, in 5 min it was teeshirt weather in there. Tarp as footprint under tent floor. Various leftover rugs for floor covering. Coleman cot, 2' square table. Easy to remove and shake off small rugs.
View attachment 81479

Compared to my former 10x12 wall tent w internal frame, the Kodiak went up in half the time, using half as many stakes. Tent weights about equal, Kodiak's frame is much lighter than the conduit/angle joint frame on the wall tent. Headroom everywhere in the tent, not just down the middle. Never messed w the awning, it stayed rolled up against the tent above the doors. 4 screen windows the size of doors let the breeze in. I had to teach myself to step over the canvas threshold @ bottom of door. Plenty of gearhangers. 2 nice vents @ top center of sidewalls. Seemed to me like the next generation of canvas tents, after my wall tent. Time will tell if I continue to be impressed w it. So far its my best system for solo or 2 guys.

Brado16

WKR
Pulled the trigger on the 10x14 for a December AZ elk hunt. Expecting lows of teens at night. I have a mr buddy heater that's 9,000 BTU, think that will give off enough heat hooked up to a 20# tank or will I need more BTUs?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Pulled the trigger on the 10x14 for a December AZ elk hunt. Expecting lows of teens at night. I have a mr buddy heater that's 9,000 BTU, think that will give off enough heat hooked up to a 20# tank or will I need more BTUs?

That heater won’t get it warm enough to be comfortable in a thin base layer but will take the bite off nicely.

Brado16

WKR
What's everyone use for a light in the Kodiaks? Looking for something that will provide good amount of light in a 10x14.

Fatcamp

WKR
We have the 12X9 with enclosed vestibule. Even with two kids and a dog we have plenty of space. Cooking is outside of the sleeping area and a Big Buddy keeps it warm enough. Great tool.

We run stakes and guylines everywhere and have weathered significant weather.

Mi_fiveo

WKR
My mileage with a buddy heater was less than yours. My tent is a 14x16 Davis tent and I have the regular size buddy heater with a hose attachment. When not using the woodstove I ran the buddy heater. I could only heat the tent about 15 degrees warmer than the temperature outside. I had planned to get the big buddy heater before my trip but decided to try the one I had and it was not able to heat the tent properly. I’ll definitely be going to the 10,000/20,000/30,000 blue flame heater next time. The woodstove works great for heating the tent, but wood was hard to fine where I was and was mostly pine which burns like crap and hardly puts off any heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

witrapper

FNG
A propane lantern works very well for lighting up the 10x14 kodiak. Plus adds a bit of heat.

Brado16

WKR
Just returned from a late season hunt in AZ and used the 10x14 Kodiak for the first time and it was great. Used a Big Buddy attached to a 20# tank. We ran it on high/med for about 1.5 hours every morning and used it for about 3-5 hours everynight on high/med. We camped for 8 nights and did not use the entire 20# tank- guessing there was 10-20% of the tank left. For light we used a 1,000 lumen Coleman propane lantern and it provided a good amount of light and also added heat. We reveived snow two nights 3-5'' each night and had no issues with snowload or wind. Very happy with this system and looking forward to using it again soon.

Brendan

WKR
Personally, I'd cut a stove jack and install a vented Nu-Way. That's what I did before I sold my Kodiak. Not only is it safer, but it's a drier heat because it's externally vented.

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Kodiak 10x14. Also heat it with a Buddy heater. I’ve had 2 Buddy heaters plug up and shut off. If ran from a tank you are supposed to add an inline filter. They sell them on Amazon or Mr Buddy’s website. I’ve also plugged mine up off a bottle so... they’re not perfect.
Definitely want to look into the blue flame heaters you guys are talking about.

rayporter

WKR
i put a filter in my big buddy when I got it so the hose would not plug it up. who knows it may plug up anyway but we run it in my shack off a tank a lot. sometimes 24 hrs straight.

the regular buddy puts out 9000 btu s and a gasoline lantern puts out somewhere around 8500 btus. so yea they put out the same amount of heat.

I know it can be cold as heck and 2 lanterns along with the buddy will heat up about anything.

Brado16

WKR
Just returned from a late season hunt in AZ and used the 10x14 Kodiak for the first time and it was great. Used a Big Buddy attached to a 20# tank. We ran it on high/med for about 1.5 hours every morning and used it for about 3-5 hours everynight on high/med. We camped for 8 nights and did not use the entire 20# tank- guessing there was 10-20% of the tank left. For light we used a 1,000 lumen Coleman propane lantern and it provided a good amount of light and also added heat. We reveived snow two nights 3-5'' each night and had no issues with snowload or wind. Very happy with this system and looking forward to using it again soon.
I forgot to mention, lows at night were teens and 2 nights were at 0 and never had issues getting the tent toasty warm.

slowelk

WKR
Does anyone use the tank-top heaters rather than the Buddy systems? Seems to be more space efficient both in-transit and in-tent. They seem like they have the same safety features and other advantages as the Buddy, but less bulk.

geriggs

WKR
A few questions for you:
What elevations were you camped at and did you have any issues with the buddy heater not staying lit?
Did you have any condenstion buildup from the propane?
Do you have any pictures of the interior with the cots and your gear showing how much space there is once setup?

I had issues with mine at 9500 and could never keep it lit. sucked.

Wirrex

FNG
The tent, heater, and rugs are the same setup I use. Works awesome!

I am always paranoid about sleeping with it on. I have spent enough time in my ice shanty with one but I haven’t slept with it on. Does anyone know of a quality portable co detector?

Brendan

WKR
I am always paranoid about sleeping with it on. I have spent enough time in my ice shanty with one but I haven’t slept with it on. Does anyone know of a quality portable co detector?

I bought one at Home Depot - there are plenty of battery powered options.

I still maintain this is the best idea:

9bd58323e8f3903366580d10caf98588.jpg

5616795b881fd7bc1cd7a3e2996c10d0.jpg