Kodiak canvas w/ buddy heater review

lonedave

WKR
I bought one at Home Depot - there are plenty of battery powered options.

I still maintain this is the best idea:

9bd58323e8f3903366580d10caf98588.jpg

5616795b881fd7bc1cd7a3e2996c10d0.jpg

Very cool setup Brendan. Do you keep the bulk tank outside and what kind of tray is that under the heater? It looks almost like a cookie sheet, but fits great.

Brendan

WKR
Multiple threads on this here on Rokslide if you search, but: Cookie sheet under a NuWay 3500, 20lb tank goes outside in the vestibule. Glued in the stove jack with Bisch's Tear Mender then cut fabric with a Razor.

The nicest part is all the moisture generated by combustion, and all the Carbon Monoxide goes out the chimney.

I sold the Kodiak (kept the stove) but could sit in that thing in my boxers while it was in the 20's outside.

Elite7

FNG
Brendan, did you not like the kodiak? Thinking about going with a similar set up since some hunts I will be alone.

Brendan

WKR
Brendan, did you not like the kodiak? Thinking about going with a similar set up since some hunts I will be alone.

I'm primarily a solo hunter, and have to fit everything in my truck without trailer, so it's overkill in terms of space. It's big when packed, heavy, and a little bit of a pain to deal with yourself. I also want to be able to relocate more quickly and stay more mobile. And, I don't like the sewn in floor for hunting because I find myself going in and out a lot.

Replaced it with a seek outside tipi to solve those problems.

Pike40

FNG
+1 on the Kodiak Canvas tent and little buddy heater, I have had the 10x10 for several years now and it works great. It is a 2 man show with the 10x10 and you have to pay attention to how you stow gear. The combination can handle some pretty nasty weather, including high winds.

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
Thats the plan, haven't run it yet so can't comment on how well it retains heat.

Thanks. Looking for a shelter for SE AK boat based hunts. I think the tipi might be a little better and that propane stove would be really nice. The buddy heaters cause me to lose sleep.

elkduds

WKR
Does anyone use the tank-top heaters rather than the Buddy systems? Seems to be more space efficient both in-transit and in-tent. They seem like they have the same safety features and other advantages as the Buddy, but less bulk.

I've used a tanktop heater (single burner) in my wall tent, now my 10x10 Kodiak. Plenty of heat on low, run it before bed and when waking. Tent warms in 5 min or less.

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
Multiple threads on this here on Rokslide if you search, but: Cookie sheet under a NuWay 3500, 20lb tank goes outside in the vestibule. Glued in the stove jack with Bisch's Tear Mender then cut fabric with a Razor.

The nicest part is all the moisture generated by combustion, and all the Carbon Monoxide goes out the chimney.

I sold the Kodiak (kept the stove) but could sit in that thing in my boxers while it was in the 20's outside.

Where did you pickup the stove jack. Interested in this idea.

OP
Newtosavage
I'm primarily a solo hunter, and have to fit everything in my truck without trailer, so it's overkill in terms of space. It's big when packed, heavy, and a little bit of a pain to deal with yourself. I also want to be able to relocate more quickly and stay more mobile. And, I don't like the sewn in floor for hunting because I find myself going in and out a lot.

Replaced it with a seek outside tipi to solve those problems.
Interesting. Different strokes I suppose.

I like how compact the tent is considering it's a 10x10 space I can stand up in (and I'm 6'4"). It fits inside my large cooler, which would be empty anyway, so it doesn't take up any additional space in the bed of my truck. I'm also a solo hunter and everything fits in the bed of my truck (enough equipment for two hunters in fact, for when my son comes up to spend a night or two) with room to spare. I set up and take down my camp by myself, and every year have relocated the whole camp at least once, and often twice, by myself. I timed it this last time and I had camp packed up in 15 minutes, and set back up in 30.

It's funny that I started this thread thinking that was a cold season. I had no idea what I'd be camping in 2 years later! Still love my setup and wouldn't change a thing!

Attachments

• IMG_2840.JPG
    IMG_2840.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2884.JPG
    IMG_2884.JPG
    518.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2876.JPG
    IMG_2876.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2891.JPG
    IMG_2891.JPG
    426.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2903.JPG
    IMG_2903.JPG
    338 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4008.JPG
    IMG_4008.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2897.JPG
    IMG_2897.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 93

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been considering a similar sized tent for Southeast AK rainforest Nov deer hunts.
There will be wet wx and lots of wet gear to dry out.
Will the buddy heater dry out gear? Very surprised to hear how little condensation it creates!

Just wanted to share my experience this season - arguably the coldest 1st Rifle season in CO in many years (from what I was told).

In the past I had been hunting the muzzleloader season, which didn't require much in the way of a tent - whether at base camp or in the back country. However knowing I was going 1st rifle this year and that it could be much colder and possibly snowing (and it was), I decided to invest in a 10x10 Kodiak Canvas tent and a regular buddy heater with the propane bottle hose.

Short story - it worked fantastic. Easily the most comfortable elk camp I've had yet, even with the wet snow and single digit temps.

With me and my hunting partner each on a cot, there was room inside for my 4' table that had my 2-burner Coleman stove, plus my Coleman Northstar lantern. My misc. plastic tub fit neatly under the table and was easily accessed for food, paper towels, etc. Maybe the best part is that I'm 6'4" and I could easily stand straight up. In fact, I never hit my head on the tent and never even thought about it. For a guy who's had back surgery, that is a really nice feature.

When the temps got down in the 20's, we would run the heater until we went to bed, then just left on the pilot light. The pilot light acted like a night light, and was very convenient for when nature called in the middle of the night.

When the temps dropped into the single digits, we did leave the heater on low all night, with zero issues. I vented a window up high and another down low behind the heater. Neither of us ever felt sick or had a headache or any issues, but YMMV so I'd say do what you're comfortable with.

I'm pretty sure my Coleman Northstar lantern put off as much or more heat than the buddy heater, so in the morning I would get up and turn the heater to high and turn on the lantern. Within 2-3 minutes the upper half of the tent was easily 60-70 degrees. Warm enough that I was changing into a t-shirt and shorts. The lower part of the tent was still cool, but very comfortable. Even the coldest nights, I slept in my 20 deg. Sierra Designs down bag wearing just shorts and a t-shirt. I didn't even wear socks the last two nights even though it was around 20 outside.

We put up a couple hanging clotheslines inside the tent to dry clothes, and they were always dry every morning.

If we had needed to, a 3rd person could have fit in just fine, but we would have lost room to dress and stretch out.

Best purchase I made, aside from the tent and heater, was a 6x8' carpet that rolled out onto the middle of the floor. I can't tell you how nice it was to put my feet on that carpet each morning instead of the rubber floor. Best $16 of the trip IMO.

Setup of the Kodiak canvas tent could not have been simpler, which was a good thing since we had a total of three camp locations over the 10 days we were there. We set it up the first time, and took it down the first time, with some wet snow coming down. I used a shovel to scrape out a 12x12 space and then put the footprint down (well worth the extra $10 btw) and then put down the tent. Even through all that snow, the tent stayed very clean.

At the 2nd camp site, we got winds out in the open that would estimate were 25-30 mph, and the only issue we had was a pole on the awning came loose. I eventually rolled up that awning and left it that way. If there is only one thing I didn't care for on that tent, it was that the awning was too small and too low to be of any use. Rolled up, I never missed it.

I was concerned that I would regret buying the cheapest Kodiak tent, but I never missed any of the additional features of the more expensive models. I guess you can't miss what you never had, but there really isn't much I'd change about that tent, or the heater system. Before using this system, I had strongly considered getting a tent with a stove jack, or even putting a stove jack in my Kodiak Canvas tent. Now that I've used it with the buddy heater, I don't see the point.

Anyway, that's my experience for anyone that's considering this option. I give that tent and heater two thumbs up.

Love my Kodiak 10x12, hunter to -10 with a buddy heater and woulda really struggled without it. It’s also really compact compared to other options. I’d recommend to anyone considering a wall tent.

OP
Newtosavage
I’ve been considering a similar sized tent for Southeast AK rainforest Nov deer hunts.
There will be wet wx and lots of wet gear to dry out.
Will the buddy heater dry out gear? Very surprised to hear how little condensation it creates!
I've used it for that. I have a "clothesline" setup where I can hang clothes/towels above the heater and it works pretty well. Just understand your clothes might have a propane smell but at least they will be dry. This year, I had to put my 6 gallon water jugs in front of the heater each evening to warm them up before I went to bed (I turn off the heater when I go to bed). Even still, they had ice in them in the morning.

I use a 6'x8' piece of indoor/outdoor carpet in mine. It fits nicely between the cots and kitchen table. I also keep a broom handy and sweep the dirt/snow toward the entrance door every time I come in, and then use a dustpan to scoop it up and put it outside. It's an easy habit to get into as it only takes a second or two. That way my carpet is always clean enough for me to walk on in socks, and let me tell you, being in sock feet on a carpet floor when it's deep snow and single digits outside is like a slice of paradise in the wilderness. It is great on my feet and helps me relax very quickly.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
Is that an extra regulator you have between your hose and your Buddy heater?

That is a trap. The rubber hoses will eventually bleed oils into the line and this filter traps them. The longer the hose is under pressure, the more likely you will have impurities flowing. You don’t want that stuff to get trapped and clog in the pilot or burners. It should always be used with the hose to the large bottles. Not needed for the 1lb cylinders.

Jet4

FNG
Just wanted to share my experience this season - arguably the coldest 1st Rifle season in CO in many years (from what I was told).

In the past I had been hunting the muzzleloader season, which didn't require much in the way of a tent - whether at base camp or in the back country. However knowing I was going 1st rifle this year and that it could be much colder and possibly snowing (and it was), I decided to invest in a 10x10 Kodiak Canvas tent and a regular buddy heater with the propane bottle hose.

Short story - it worked fantastic. Easily the most comfortable elk camp I've had yet, even with the wet snow and single digit temps.

With me and my hunting partner each on a cot, there was room inside for my 4' table that had my 2-burner Coleman stove, plus my Coleman Northstar lantern. My misc. plastic tub fit neatly under the table and was easily accessed for food, paper towels, etc. Maybe the best part is that I'm 6'4" and I could easily stand straight up. In fact, I never hit my head on the tent and never even thought about it. For a guy who's had back surgery, that is a really nice feature.

When the temps got down in the 20's, we would run the heater until we went to bed, then just left on the pilot light. The pilot light acted like a night light, and was very convenient for when nature called in the middle of the night.

When the temps dropped into the single digits, we did leave the heater on low all night, with zero issues. I vented a window up high and another down low behind the heater. Neither of us ever felt sick or had a headache or any issues, but YMMV so I'd say do what you're comfortable with.

I'm pretty sure my Coleman Northstar lantern put off as much or more heat than the buddy heater, so in the morning I would get up and turn the heater to high and turn on the lantern. Within 2-3 minutes the upper half of the tent was easily 60-70 degrees. Warm enough that I was changing into a t-shirt and shorts. The lower part of the tent was still cool, but very comfortable. Even the coldest nights, I slept in my 20 deg. Sierra Designs down bag wearing just shorts and a t-shirt. I didn't even wear socks the last two nights even though it was around 20 outside.

We put up a couple hanging clotheslines inside the tent to dry clothes, and they were always dry every morning.

If we had needed to, a 3rd person could have fit in just fine, but we would have lost room to dress and stretch out.

Best purchase I made, aside from the tent and heater, was a 6x8' carpet that rolled out onto the middle of the floor. I can't tell you how nice it was to put my feet on that carpet each morning instead of the rubber floor. Best $16 of the trip IMO.

Setup of the Kodiak canvas tent could not have been simpler, which was a good thing since we had a total of three camp locations over the 10 days we were there. We set it up the first time, and took it down the first time, with some wet snow coming down. I used a shovel to scrape out a 12x12 space and then put the footprint down (well worth the extra $10 btw) and then put down the tent. Even through all that snow, the tent stayed very clean.

At the 2nd camp site, we got winds out in the open that would estimate were 25-30 mph, and the only issue we had was a pole on the awning came loose. I eventually rolled up that awning and left it that way. If there is only one thing I didn't care for on that tent, it was that the awning was too small and too low to be of any use. Rolled up, I never missed it.

I was concerned that I would regret buying the cheapest Kodiak tent, but I never missed any of the additional features of the more expensive models. I guess you can't miss what you never had, but there really isn't much I'd change about that tent, or the heater system. Before using this system, I had strongly considered getting a tent with a stove jack, or even putting a stove jack in my Kodiak Canvas tent. Now that I've used it with the buddy heater, I don't see the point.

Anyway, that's my experience for anyone that's considering this option. I give that tent and heater two thumbs up.
I had a very similar experience with mine. Set up similar to yours. My buddy heater worked well at 9k elevation