Interesting new bag from FF, thoughts?

Tanager 20 CFL Sleeping Bag Feathered Friends. It’s got my attention for simplicity and minimalist style but has anyone tried something like this? My guess is the temperature rating is dependent on your puffy.

It looks like you could just buy an insulated hood and be OK like any hoodless bag or quilt. My biggest concern would be a lack of options to vent before temps drop or if they never do. The extra weight of a zipper is worth it to keep temps regulated and sleep better IMO.

A 20 degree EE conundrum with 950 fill and 7d fabric in wide is less than 3 ounces heavier, regular width it would only be a little over an ounce heavier.

Rican0624

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. In the discription it says “streamlined design that foregoes a zipper and hood”. Wouldn’t that make it a quilt without a zipper?

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. In the discription it says “streamlined design that foregoes a zipper and hood”. Wouldn’t that make it a quilt without a zipper?

Sort of... but you can't open it to regulate your temperature, which you can do in a quilt.

Zpaks had a bag like this for a while. It was super popular in the UL backpacking crowd, so this might be worth a go.

sneaky

"DADDY"
In the mountaineering world that's called an elephant's foot I believe. More like an emergency bag, or uber lightweight summit bag. WM makes one like it too or they used to at least.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Should they have named this bag Condominimum? I'll give FF some credit...they make a great line of products and I'm sure this one is superb. I don't personally think I'd ever want to drop one more pound badly enough to forego a full sleeping bag with hood and zipper. I suppose that could change for certain situations, but I would not relish the idea of navigating my body into that 3/4 cocoon every night.

In the mountaineering world that's called an elephant's foot I believe. More like an emergency bag, or uber lightweight summit bag. WM makes one like it too or they used to at least.

The FF product is a full length hoodless bag. If you look at the WM product you can see they don’t even give a chest circumference dimension.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Akula Half Bag. - Nunatak Equipment

Another of the same concept available in whatever custom length you want. The short length FF bag is only 8" longer than the WM bag, and neither are designed as true sleeping bags. FF just makes a longer Elephant's foot bag. Chest circumference on the WM is probably in the same ballpark as the FF , but not really relevant in that it's designed to be adjustable and paired with a puffy. The Nunatak one you can get in custom length and size to fit you, not an off the shelf hope you fit setup.

I was more making the point that FF is just making their version of a concept that's been around for decades and is a popular option amongst alpinists and thru hikers.
The FF product is a full length hoodless bag. If you look at the WM product you can see they don’t even give a chest circumference dimension.

boom

WKR
my coffee is still brewing. half awake.

so this thing pulls up to your nipples? or shoulders?

sneaky

"DADDY"
my coffee is still brewing. half awake.

so this thing pulls up to your nipples? or shoulders?
Pretty much. The FF one comes in 68"or 74" lengths, the Nunatak one you can get custom sized, the WM one is 60".

boom

WKR
Pretty much. The FF one comes in 68"or 74" lengths, the Nunatak one you can get custom sized, the WM one is 60".

way too early to divide by 12 to convert to feet. thanks :) stayed up too late working.

i like it!! i dont think any of my puffy jackets are warm enough to attempt this. mine are all mid layer puffies.

sneaky

"DADDY"
way too early to divide by 12 to convert to feet. thanks :) stayed up too late working.

i like it!! i dont think any of my puffy jackets are warm enough to attempt this. mine are all mid layer puffies.
Just get the Ruka bag from Nunatak then lol. It has its own sleeves

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just get the Ruka bag from Nunatak then lol. It has its own sleeves

Raku not Ruka. Need. More. Caffeine.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Super cool minimalist design, but that 7D would have to be babied.
You'd be surprised. I have an EE in 7D and I've used the crap out of it, usually sleep under it half the week now that winter has rolled around and my apartment stays cool. I've had it for a couple years, in and out of the pack, stuff sack, it's going on a hunt back east with me tomorrow. I couldn't tell you what a 10D EE feels like because I've never needed one.

oenanthe

WKR
Back in the 1980s a friend of mine had a sleeping bag that looked like that Tanager, except it had a hood. This was a Marmot, back when they were Marmot Mountain Works and everything was made in the USA. You can save a fair bit of weight when you leave out a zipper and a draft tube, but you do lose some versatility.