Seek Outside Stove Damper Adjustment

Sgrog

Lil-Rokslider
Have issues with your damper not staying where you set it? Here's my solution.....

A piece of aluminum foil about 3" long wrapped around the damper shaft with the other end against the stove body. Bend it as needed to set the damper where you want it. Let me know how it works out for you.

IMG_20180604_092102.jpg

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Couple other ways:

Take the damper flap and rod out of the damper body and take it to a hardware store. Find a small coilspring that will slide over the damper rod. Find a small E-clip (C clip, retaining clip, someone will know what it is if you don't) that fits the control rod.

Reassemble the damper flap and rod into the damper body, then slide the coil spring on the outside of the control rod. Back it with an E clip so the spring has tension. This works really well but you will burn through the spring within 3-4 fires. They cost cents per piece, so a ziplock full of them in the stove bag doesn't cost much and weighs very little.

Method two: Bend the "wings" on the damper flap so they make very light contact inside the damper body. This has differing levels of success on different flaps.

Benjblt

WKR
Good tips but it's a shame you have to do these things when you spend $1,000 on a tipi and $300+ on a stove. It shouldn't be this difficult. I had a pretty frustrating night with my set up this year.

Last edited:

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good tips but it's a shame you have to do these things when you spend $1,000 on a tipi and $300+ on a stove. It shouldn't be this difficult. I had a pretty frustrating night with my set up this year.

Most of the time it's not difficult to get some tension on the damper. A lot of variance in setup however. If you get the damper body inserted into the stove enough that the control rod contacts the stove top then that creates tension. The other ways listed are simply fancier ways of accomplishing it. Sorry you had a frustrating time.