What sleep system for Arapaho/Roosevelt NF in June?

mrgreen

WKR
I'm planning a backpacking trip to the Arapaho-Roosevelt National Forest area. I've plenty of backpacking experience, but this will be my first trip out west. I'm looking at June, but it depends on the local weather.

What would be the best sleeping bag or quilt? What temperature rating? Down vs synthetic?

For shelter I have a Tut, and a MLD SolomidXL w/innernet. I've been using a NeoAir Xtherm for everything, but I have a NeoAir Xlite (which somehow only weighs 1oz less then my Xtherm).

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
I live and play adjacent to the AR and get into the back-country every June as soon as the snowpack recedes. Depending on this winter's snowpack and where you are going you may not be able to get into the high country there until mid to late June. I find that my 20 degree EE (down) quilt with a good insulated pad works just fine. I use a Borah Gear bivy sack over the works. It can get pretty cold in the drainage bottoms during dawn and dusk. June is a good month as the mosquitoes are not out and about too much at higher elevations.

OP
M

mrgreen

WKR
Hey Dennis thanks for the info! I'm keeping the dates open thinking about snowpack. I have a WM Badger 15deg bag that sounds like it would be a good choice. I have the same bivy- Borah side zip. But I might bring the tent innernet, in case I get rained in. Same weight+more room.

How's the fishing at that time?

ETA: Welcome to Rokslide.

Last edited:

topher89

WKR
Like it was said above, snow can be a limiting factor in early June. With that said, I run a 15 or 20 degree bag through the summer and fall. Too warm? unzip it.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Fishing can be very iffy at that time as the snow melt can have the high mountain streams very high and water temps very low. Creeks that are normally ankle deep mid to late summer can be thigh-high in June. Can't speak for high mountain lakes but if there is still snow around I suspect it would be pretty slow in those locations as well.

OP
M

mrgreen

WKR
So if the end of June might have high water and snowpack, how crowded does the area get in July?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Three years ago I tried a 20 degree down quilt on an Xlite pad in July at about 8000 feet and froze my tail off. I sold both and went back to my Xtherm and 0 degree quilt for even through the summer.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on where you are headed in the AR. Front range areas will get pretty crowded - west slope portions of the AR (Middle Park/North Park side of Divide from the Ft. Collins/Denver area) not so much. Mosquitoes will be an issue in July. Generally June and August are best for hiking and camping if you want to avoid the bugs. If you seeking combined camping and back-country fishing and want to avoid mosquitoes, August is the best. If you have a good insulated pad setup and 15-20 degree bag or quilt you will be fine for sleeping. Down low in drainages can drop into 30s with frost even in July. Important to pick an open camp spot safe from deadfall if you are in timbered area (i.e., park or meadow) as there are a lot of beetle-kill pine that have been dead for several years now and can drop easily in a storm.