Good alternative to WM

Jon Boy

WKR
I personally think 2 of my best purchases were my boots (Crispi) and my bag (WM).Yes a pack is critical as well, but I can hunt in a bad pack but not bad boots.
I can stay warm in a good bag, but not a cheap one.

You did good. A year from now you wont feel the sting of the $$$$ or the Alaska cold
:)
I agree. I got crucified here when I said I'd rather put my money into a wm bag over high end glass Haha if I cant sleep warm I want be staying on the mtn long enough to use my glass to it's full extent !

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I agree. I got crucified here when I said I'd rather put my money into a wm bag over high end glass Haha if I cant sleep warm I want be staying on the mtn long enough to use my glass to it's full extent !

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just got a new pair of monarch HGs for $700 on the Classifieds here. Could buy a nice WM bag and then some compared to buying alpha binos, seems like a no brainer.

Love my Feathered Friends bag. I have the Osprey with 2 oz of overfill. It weighs less than 2 lbs and will take me down to 20 degrees in comfort. With a hat, puffy, etc. I can push it lower than that.

They are usually a bit cheaper than WM.

OP
Thess87

Thess87

WKR
Got the badger and versitile in today. Awesome bags haven’t got them outa the house yet but looking forward to it. The cut on the badger is a little snugger than I anticipated. Me being 6’8” 275 im used to having ample room with semi rec. bags so I’ll be curious how the change in that goes. Thanks for the input guys

sneaky

"DADDY"
Got the badger and versitile in today. Awesome bags haven’t got them outa the house yet but looking forward to it. The cut on the badger is a little snugger than I anticipated. Me being 6’8” 275 im used to having ample room with semi rec. bags so I’ll be curious how the change in that goes. Thanks for the input guys
Did you get a 7ft version of the Badger?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Regarding WM and overfill comments, I would not be so sure there is much of a benefit. Most down bags do benefit, but more so than insulation the overfill reduces movement and cold spots. When you understand how WM bags are made and calculated, they are essentially overfilled from the start. Thus more overfill may not provide much benefit, unless you notice down movement and cold sports (which I have not in WM bags).

How it works is this. Technically, WM uses a higher fill power down than what they state as 850 . However, they use 850 as the calculation for fill needed etc because they believe that is worst case scenario and in certain field conditions say 950 down performs less than 950 (which is true). This in effect creates essentially a 10% overfill over close to.

mtnhmr

FNG
You get what you pay for (of course, right?)...

You may not need a 0 degree bag as others have mentioned... you can get a higher temp rated bag and use a vapor barrier and bivy to increase the warmth. Majority of the time, most rely solely on the bag due to the compression/space, weight and warmth; with higher end bags you're paying for the differences.

Honestly, do not compare yourself to others in relation to gear selection, some guys are are min/max'ers and tossing a pretty penny, where most others cannot keep up with the best gear options. Get what you can afford, use it, upgrade later down the line... with each season I choose a few things to max out. Once you have the basics (i.e., gun, tent, boots, warm clothes), the majority of gear will fall into place as you spend more time in the bush. If you're in AK or dealing with extreme weather, you should rely on your knowledge versus relying on the best of the best for success.

People have hunted for centuries, it's all about bush knowledge and how comfortable you want to be.

Tip: Find a place with a great warranty, such as REI / MEC etc., where returns are easy and you can put your hands on the gear before buying.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
I appreciate the insight. I'm hoping the Nemo is good enough. I get them 50 percent off

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I get them at that price too, and I bought a WM. There's things you can save money on that won't affect your hunt, sleep system isn't one of them. You might do just fine with the Nemo, hope it treats you well.

I get them at that price too, and I bought a WM. There's things you can save money on that won't affect your hunt, sleep system isn't one of them. You might do just fine with the Nemo, hope it treats you well.

I guess we will see. Wouldn't be the first time I tried to half ass something and regret it immensely. I used to go out in below freezing temps with a 45 degree kelty, fill my nalgene with hot water and tough it out. I think I'll be happy with the Nemo but I'm becoming more of a bitch as I go..

I have a 0 degree nemo bag on the way...I'll take it to the boundary waters this winter and report back.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I guess we will see. Wouldn't be the first time I tried to half ass something and regret it immensely. I used to go out in below freezing temps with a 45 degree kelty, fill my nalgene with hot water and tough it out. I think I'll be happy with the Nemo but I'm becoming more of a bitch as I go..

I have a 0 degree nemo bag on the way...I'll take it to the boundary waters this winter and report back.

The older I get, the more emphasis I put on snivel gear

The older I get, the more emphasis I put on snivel gear

Snivel gear is one of those things....you finally break down and use a sleeping mat...next thing you know you are buying ultralight pillows and bringing extra socks

dtrkyman

WKR
How is Nemo on temp ratings? I toss and turn and like the spoon design!

I can get their bag and pad for the price of a WM. Bag only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk