Good alternative to WM

Thess87

WKR
Hey guys I’ve been telling myself I’m going to bite the bullet and buy WM bag. But beings how I have to buy two (my wife and I). Sticker shock is setting in. I know there awesome bags but wondering since we only spend 2-3 weeks a year in them if the is a more economical route. Big agnus etc. We are wanting 0 degree and down. Thoughts? Thanks guys

sneaky

"DADDY"
25 years from now the WM bags will still be going strong. You gotta think of it as an investment, not a stop gap or temporary fix.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My first question is do you need an honest 0 degree bag? are you actually planning on being out in 0 degree conditions or are you doing the classic “get a bag rated for 20 degrees under the weather you expect for comfort”?

WM bags are conservatively rated. So if you get a 15 or 20 degree bag, you’re gonna be comfortable at that temp. Buying a 0 degree WM bag when you’re only planning for summer/fall use is a waste. There’s some cash and weight you can save there.

As others have said, construction of these bags are great. They’re built to last. I get sticker shock - maybe buy them one at a time during the off-season to help pad the shock a bit? Trust me, once you get your hands on one you’ll see that they’re worth it. It’s like buying good optics - it sucks at the checkout but once you use them you feel better about it.

Edit: one more thing, I mean it isn’t really a selling point, but I’ve always heard how good the zipper system is. The first time getting in the bag I had to try it. It is the smoothest easiest bag to zip up I’ve had. I’m sure if you tried you could get it stuck, but you’d have to try.

Final edit: if you decide to buy them(and I strongly suggest you do), buy them through Hermit’s hut. You get free overfill on the bags.

Rokwiia

WKR
A few options:

1) I'd try to buy them lightly used. I got a -5F WM bag that way.

2) If you are using them in a base camp that you can drive to, then consider using two bags used on top of each other rather than one. A 20F and a 30F good (rather than great) bag. Be sure to give yourself some leeway. You probably already have one bag so it would be a question of getting the second one to get you down to 0F or below. I bought the Seek Outside 6,300 pack so I would have space to carry two bags together rather than my -5F WM if I choose. Enlightened Equipment has a 10%-15% sale through the 26th.

3) Just bite the bullet and buy the WM new. You can always sell later on.

Im a fan of the WM and use a alpinlite for basically everything, but if they are out of budget, they are out of budget.

Two popular options are marmot helium and rei Magma 10. Neither is a zero degree bag but they’ll cover a lot and should be available for around $300 with various sales.

Beendare

WKR
Most outfits sleeping bags go on big sales [like 40% off] in January- ish. Not WM.

I have a couple montbell stretch bags that are decent...but not the quality of WM.

OP
Thess87

Thess87

WKR
Thanks guys appreciate the insight. Was really hoping there was a hidden gem out there somewhere. Haha

kipper09

WKR
Look at outdoor vitals. They get great reviews and the prices are really reasonable. Just something else to look at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I sprung for the WM Alpinlite and it is absolutely amazing. The warmth out of something that packs down that small is mind boggling. Worth every penny to me. Think it weighs 1lb 15oz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
LL Bean has a decent 850 down bag coupled with a 20 % off coupon, it would be something to look at. 22 oz of down and around 2.5 lbs. Specs look ok but I haven't seen in person though.

OP
Thess87

Thess87

WKR
Well hell guys normally just go elk hunting for a couple weeks. But since we are headed to Ak next year for a caribou. I figured if there’s one place not to wedge up it’s there. I bit the bullet today an ordered a versitile for her and a badger for me. Those things better be made of gold. Lol

sneaky

"DADDY"
Great choice. You won't regret it after you use them

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I personally think 2 of my best purchases were my boots (Crispi) and my bag (WM).Yes a pack is critical as well, but I can hunt in a bad pack but not bad boots.
I can stay warm in a good bag, but not a cheap one.

You did good. A year from now you wont feel the sting of the $$$$ or the Alaska cold
:)