Lite Outdoors stove pipe question

codym

WKR
I put my lite stove together today and had a pretty good gap, like 1/4 inch all the way around between the stove body and the pipe. I had the damper installed and the rings where they are supposed to be according to the Lite Outdoors web site. Is this normal? I can bring some foil tape to put around the gap but seems like it should fit a lot more snuggly. I see photos and videos and I'm not seeing the gap, did I screw something up? Thanks!

Last edited:

92xj

WKR
Post a picture of what you did. There should not be a1/4" gap around the entire pipe to the stove body.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, something isn't right. You should have a very snug fit

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
C

codym

WKR
I'm a dumbass and didn't take a picture. I did put the damper in after the pipe was rolled. I could't keep the spark arrestor on it would just fall into the stove. I was gonna email them but says they are sheep hunting.

FlyGuy

WKR
I'm a dumbass and didn't take a picture. I did put the damper in after the pipe was rolled. I could't keep the spark arrestor on it would just fall into the stove. I was gonna email them but says they are sheep hunting.
? The spark arrestor goes into the top of the chimney pipe?

Did you watch the assembly video on their website? If not, do that 1st.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
? The spark arrestor goes into the top of the chimney pipe?

Did you watch the assembly video on their website? If not, do that 1st.

Some do, some don't. Several stove builders recommend installing them in the bottom because it keeps soot build up burned off, where a top of pipe installation is prone to soot build up and can smoke you out of your shelter once that happens.

OP
C

codym

WKR
I watched several videos, it shows the spark arrestor being put in under the damper and a cable holding it all together above the damper. I think I rolled it too tight and then wedged the damper in so that the pipe couldn't losen up. I will try again later this week.

OP
C

codym

WKR
Well frustration got the better part of me. I set the stove up again exactly like the video shows and tried both the steel ring and the spark arrester and I still have a gap. I believe the hole in the stove body is too big. I took pictures but don't have any idea how to post them. I will get in touch with lite outdoors tomorrow.

92xj

WKR
Are you putting the spark arrestor inside the rolled up exhaust pipe or are you rolling the exhaust pipe up tight so it goes inside the spark arrestor?

OP
C

codym

WKR
I’ve tried both the ring and the spark arrestor (not at the same time) inside of the pipe. My gap got a little better maybe like 1/8 all the way around but not a tight fit. If someone will post pics for me I will send them to you

valtteri

FNG
I have a TiGoat Wifi stove and the LO 18” cylinder stove.

The TiGoat pipe fit is really tight, so tight that I have real problems installing it. It drives me nuts.

When I then got the LO stove, I noticed what you’ve noticed: there’s a gap and the pipe just slips in like that. Assembly is really easy in freezing temps and cold fingers. I emailed Brendan and he confirmed what I thought as well: it’s by design.

The draft in the pipe is such that there are no issues with smoke leakage from this gap. Everything gets sucked up by the draft in the pipe.

For me, this ease of assembly is one of the best things about the LO stove.

Edit: here are some images: https://imgur.com/a/8Dj58l0

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
I’ve tried both the ring and the spark arrestor (not at the same time) inside of the pipe. My gap got a little better maybe like 1/8 all the way around but not a tight fit. If someone will post pics for me I will send them to you
Did you figure out the issue or still fighting with it?

OP
C

codym

WKR
I’m leaving for my coues deer hunt Saturday and decided to throw a couple pieces of foil tape around the gap. I emailed Brennen but he’s on that sheep hunt until the 30th. I know I am putting this thing together right. Valterri posted his is the same way so I’m just gonna roll with it, not sure what other option I have.

valtteri

FNG
You have already burned it in, right? Did you have any issues with smoke leakage? If not, don’t worry about it. You won’t be thinking about it when the fire is crackling and you’re warm and cozy. :)

I put mine together yesterday for the first burn-in and to check my gap after reading this thread. Mine was a pretty tight fit and did not smoke at all around the pipe. I had the spark arrestor at the bottom inside the pipe.

OP
C

codym

WKR
You have already burned it in, right? Did you have any issues with smoke leakage? If not, don’t worry about it. You won’t be thinking about it when the fire is crackling and you’re warm and cozy. :)

I did, and didn’t notice much if any smoke coming through the gap. I got an email from Brennen this morning and he reiterated what you said. It’s supposed to be down in the 20’s in the desert next week (cold for us!) so the stove is definitely gonna be appreciated.

OP
C

codym

WKR
Just an update. Turned out to be a non issue. There were a few times some smoke drafted up, but it wasn’t a big deal. The stove was really nice to have on this hunt.

Hairhunter

Lil-Rokslider
My TI goat wifi pipe fits too tight, it is hard to get it put together without crinkleing the main body,but boy she works good, and puts out the heat!

ztreat

FNG
I actually had big gaps on my stove body where the feet studs are. I think the folks at Lite Outdoors need to invest in a quality assurance department. My gaps didn't seem to affect the stoves performance, but I haven't truly tested it yet. In my back yard it seems to work ok! We probably are losing a little heat out of those gaps I'd bet.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I actually had big gaps on my stove body where the feet studs are. I think the folks at Lite Outdoors need to invest in a quality assurance department. My gaps didn't seem to affect the stoves performance, but I haven't truly tested it yet. In my back yard it seems to work ok! We probably are losing a little heat out of those gaps I'd bet.
Quality assurance department? He's a one man operation lol.