Ultralight 15-20 degree bag with 25” pad sleeve????

I’ve looked around quite a bit and can’t find one that fits all the criteria. I just ordered BA MYSTIC UL15 bag which was perfect for what I was looking for until I tried to stuff my 25” pad in the sleeve that is only made for 20” pad.

I have a long wide EE QUILT that I do like in cool temps but when it gets below freezing when I’m tossing and turning, the sides lift and you know the smallest crack let’s a blast of cold air in.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You would be better off getting an ultralight bivy to put your pad and quilt into. I don't know of any sleeping bag with a sleeve that accommodates wide pads. All the BA bags have sleeves designed for standard width pads.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
This fits the bill Parsec™ 20F/-6C | Three Season Down Sleeping Bag | Therm-a-Rest(R)

Something to consider - There are other quilt designs that are a little better for draft control such as Katabatic, and Nunatak's new design borrowed from Mid Atlantic Mountain Works.

I've used quilts with the flat strap attachment system, like EE, and have caught drafts. I now use a WM Astralite, and have changed my attachment setup to operate on thin shock cord, prusik'd onto the attachment straps, which are thin guylines. Having tension on the quilt keeps everything tucked underneath me as I change sides sleeping.

dog812

WKR
I really like the looks of the Sierra design cloud, out Nitro, self sealing foot box vent.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Big Agnes lost ranger
Just looked up the specs. You have to buy the long/ wide bag to get a wide sleeve, and use a rectangular pad. 3lb 7oz for a bag that isn't a true 15 degree bag. No thanks.

OP
R
Thanks for the responses. Not sure what im going to do yet but I’ll keep everyone posted.

OP
R
Has anyone heard of or have any experience with ZENBIVY? According to there website they have a new model coming out March 2019 that is 1lb 13 oz? Looks interesting

Not ultra light but I like the summit park bag quite a bit. However, it is about 4 lbs. I am in the same boat with prefer a quilt, but if it is really cold, the bag is better. I am a bigger guy...6'5" 230 so I like the extra room the summit park provides for a bag.

Umpcoos

FNG
Just looked up the specs. You have to buy the long/ wide bag to get a wide sleeve, and use a rectangular pad. 3lb 7oz for a bag that isn't a true 15 degree bag. No thanks.

Good for you but it meets his criteria. When I was looking for the same thing--10-15 deg bag with 25" pad sleeve--the lost ranger was about the lightest option available. I liked the looks and weight of the Nemo argali but only has a 20" pad in the long. Those of us like me that are 6'6"/220lb, a long/wide bag and 25" pad is nearly a necessity for a decent sleep. I don't fit in normal people bags. A 20" pad barely spans my shoulder blades. No thanks.

I have a Sierra Design's 20 degree backcountry bed in large and those will accommodate the 25x2.5". You just missed a good deal on the clouds from massdrop for black friday, but if you want the zipper, the Nitro's are on right now. A 20 degree large ships for about $220.

The catch on these is if you are at or under 6' you might have an easier chance on the large of your feet coming out the vent on the bottom if you side sleep.

Last edited:

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
If you go with a wider insulated pad and the EE wide or x-wide you should be able to eliminate drafts if you have the straps adjusted correctly. I have been using an EE quite now for a few years on a Nemo Cosmo insulated pad and have not had draft issues since I checked out their video on attaching and using the straps. You can slide the quilt/strap attachment points until they are almost under you. Nice thing about the straps - you can buy those for a couple of bucks and use them on any pad, but wider is better if you have the wide quilt. You could also buy a BA merino liner to add warmth. Heck of a lot cheaper than a new bag. If you have an unlimited budget, check out the Zenbivy systems - they are coming out with a low-temp version in March (+10 F).

OP
R
If you go with a wider insulated pad and the EE wide or x-wide you should be able to eliminate drafts if you have the straps adjusted correctly. I have been using an EE quite now for a few years on a Nemo Cosmo insulated pad and have not had draft issues since I checked out their video on attaching and using the straps. You can slide the quilt/strap attachment points until they are almost under you. Nice thing about the straps - you can buy those for a couple of bucks and use them on any pad, but wider is better if you have the wide quilt. You could also buy a BA merino liner to add warmth. Heck of a lot cheaper than a new bag. If you have an unlimited budget, check out the Zenbivy systems - they are coming out with a low-temp version in March (+10 F).

I do have this exact setup and adjust the straps properly. It is a great setup but in fact is not full proof. I 100% get drafts at times when moving around at night. Maybe for a small guy you wouldn’t but I’m 6’3 220lbs. Also Zenbivy that is coming out is not only low temp but lighter weight then the other model.

I do have this exact setup and adjust the straps properly. It is a great setup but in fact is not full proof. I 100% get drafts at times when moving around at night. Maybe for a small guy you wouldn’t but I’m 6’3 220lbs. Also Zenbivy that is coming out is not only low temp but lighter weight then the other model.

Just bought the BA lost ranger long and wide. This size requires a 25 wide by 78 long pad