Which Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bag - MT

treillw

WKR
Bag to be used around this time of year in MT. Temps typically 20 at night. Can of course be much colder - 10, 0, too cold to camp.

I would use the bag for hunting and be packing in 3-5 miles, so want it to be lightweight.

Help is appreciated!

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
My WM 0 degree Kodiak long weighs 3lbs in the stuff sack, you can get a -10 for just a few ounces more or the same weight but a slimmer cut.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jolemons

WKR
I purchased a Badger to use when it's too cold for a quilt. I used two days last week with low around 25 and inside my tent was around 30. Wearing mid weight base layer, I was comfortable, but slightly chilled where there was drafting around my neck. I tend to sleep cold and am also a side and stomach sleeper. I enjoyed the generous cut so that i could role side to side without the bag getting twisted up. The snag free zipper is also nice. Knowing that I tend to sleep cold, I would use a warmer bag for the conditions you will encounter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Would you consider any other brands? I guess it's a personal fit preference to some extent. But WM bags are top of the line, correct?

I'm thinking the versalite will fit my needs.

LandYacht

WKR
Would you consider any other brands? I guess it's a personal fit preference to some extent. But WM bags are top of the line, correct?

I'm thinking the versalite will fit my needs.

I’ve had my Versalite for awhile, 6 or 7 years. Great bag that will fit the bill for you. I’ve had it below 10 degrees and it’s been fine. If I go much lower than 0, I toss my WM Caribou on top and have a an easy -10 degree system.

The Versalite is 2 pounds and the Caribou is 1 pound 5 oz. 3 pounds 5 oz for a conservative -10 degree setup isn’t bad and the bonus of splitting them up and being modular as the weather warms is really what puts it over the top for me.

If I could only have one bag it would still be the Versalite. Haven’t found anything that I would change out for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for the versalite. A 10* 2lb bag is hard to beat.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Only thing, the Versalite is a slim mummy bag. Just be aware of that. Great bag though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
It's worth noting the shapes of the bags. The WM bags with a mammal's name, are a roomier fit, whereas ones based on trees, are more of a slim, mummy cut. The slimmer bags are going to me more thermally efficient and lighter weight, but obviously don't allow you as much room to sprawl.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
What length would you go with? I'm right around 5'-11". Would the 6' bag be long enough?

For 2oz, I think the 6'-6" bag would be the ticket - a hair more width and more length to wrap around my head as well.

Any reason to consider the windstopper bags? I can't imagine I'd be sleeping under the stars when its 10 degrees out.

LandYacht

WKR
What length would you go with? I'm right around 5'-11". Would the 6' bag be long enough?

For 2oz, I think the 6'-6" bag would be the ticket - a hair more width and more length to wrap around my head as well.

I’m 6’ and have the regular length. I wouldn’t want it any longer.

jolemons

WKR
Im 511 and while side sleeping i had plenty of room in 6 model. Probably enough to put clothes and nalgene in foot box.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

LandYacht

WKR
Regular length, meaning 6' or 6.5'?

I do prefer to stomach sleep.

6’ model. Stomach sleeper too. When it’s cold I use a beanie, so I can’t really comment on wrapping the extra length of a bag around my head.

Versalite (if counting ounces) or Antelope MF (if a little more warmth, durability, moisture management is desired).

Kodiak if you freak out inside normal cut mummy bags.

I personally use an alpinlite which is a roomy 20 degree bag and I can wear puffy layers if it gets colder than the 20s.

Don't overthink it, WM uses honest ratings/sizing. a 6' bag will work well for people 6' and under.

boom

WKR
versalite if you're slender..

i went with the Alpenlite, i have had it down to 22deg and with some layers, i slept well. i could use a warmer bag these days..i feel i sleep colder and colder. its odd.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
How are the bags with moisture? Is it a major concern? Anything special you have to do besides setting up your tent and going to sleep?

My biggest concern with hunting multiple days out of a small tent is moisture in my clothing. My baselayers are usually soaked in sweat and my pants are usually frozen with snow by the end of the day. How you do you deal with this? Just put on frozen pants the next day? haha

LandYacht

WKR
How are the bags with moisture? Is it a major concern? Anything special you have to do besides setting up your tent and going to sleep?

My biggest concern with hunting multiple days out of a small tent is moisture in my clothing. My baselayers are usually soaked in sweat and my pants are usually frozen with snow by the end of the day. How you do you deal with this? Just put on frozen pants the next day? haha

Unless you are in a down pour the fabric repels water very well. In fact, I don’t think external water would ever penetrate the fabric. It could go into the stitching, so if you want water proof from the outside you’d need a bivy bag. I run an OR bivy and don’t have any moisture issues most of the time, inside or outside.

I never have water come from the outside, but every once in awhile the foot of my bag will be slightly damp when I take my bag out of the bivy. Dampness and wet with down is over blown in my experience, you will worry far more than you need too about it. It has never been an issue. A bivy with an opening foot vent would probably eliminate any dampness that I experience, but the amount of dampness and frequency haven’t compelled me to change my bivy. I use an Aurora most of the time, which most would consider overkill with a tarp, but I also use it to protect my pad, so it stays in my setup most of the time.

I don’t think you’ll be drying off in your wet clothes inside your bag like the guys with Wiggy bags do, so if that’s your goal skip the WM bag. I can’t say if your pants would be dry or not in the morning as I’ve never done that in my bag. I put on frozen pants in the morning and let them dry in the sun. If there is no sun then dry them by a fire.

I’m 6’, 32 inch waist and 185 pounds and the Versalite has plenty of room. The great thing about the Versalite is it has a full length zipper so you can use it like a quilt or a bag depending on what you want.