Best Bivy

2lbs is too much for a bivy, especially one that doesn't even have bug netting. May not be a concern where you are, but it matters in a lot of places. Plenty of tents on the market that are lighter than that bivy sack, with more room, more comfort. I spent way too much time in those bivy bags in the Marines. You can have those things. The KISS approach doesn't apply any more to that bivy than it does to a dialed in tent setup. I guarantee the tent will be more comfortable, especially if you are trying to ride out a storm, and you want your gear covered as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I've used a tent a couple time but never liked it,been doing the bivy thing for years and have yet to have a problem. I'm not a gear head or worried about counting oz when it comes to gear. Used this system in several different states with no problem and the k.i.s.s approach will always be evident no matter what you do. The skill set and the way you approach the situation is more of a factor than lbs. The ability to traverse different terrains at different types of the year warrant what i pack and how i go about things.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
If you plan on hunting/camping with your buddy you can likely come up with a great strategy that works for both of you that may actually be lighter than a tarp plus both of your bivies. If you think about it you can split up the weight/bulk of a tent, fly, or tarp tent with your buddy. You haven't really mentioned what type of terrain, elevation, or weather you expect. That alone would help figure out a good scenario. You can obviously get by without a bivy and just a tarp in warm, dry areas. If you are heading to high alpine country with wind, rain, and snow you likely need something more substantial. Mosquitos, bugs, mice, and other critters are other considerations. I actually had a bear once take off with my sleeping bag that was under my fly!

jmden

WKR
Pretty hard these days to argue for a bivvy on practical grounds. If you simply like it, that's fine. They do not make sense like they used to in terms of weight. If you are camping on the ledge in the middle of a a cliff and space is an issue...maybe. I've been stuck out in weather in bivvys and tents--clearly no comparison. Adding a tarp to a bivvy? No comparison to an actual tent that weighs less and provides much better shelter.

If the weather is not a factor, the need for a bivvy is questionable in the first place. I have spent many, many nights out without bivvy or tent over the years on various adventures, many times sleeping on the ice of a glacier while doing an overnight alpine climb. If the weather is good and predicted good, why not? Never used a bivvy doing that. A bivvy is primarily in case the weather gets bad and if the weather gets bad a tent is way better shelter than a bivvy.

Beendare

WKR
Pretty hard these days to argue for a bivvy on practical grounds. If you simply like it, that's fine. .......

Good post...different strokes. There are many of us that have used bivys with a tarp....and have moved on. We have many much better options now...thus all of the contrary to bivy advice. If a guy doesn't want to listen to the advice here- its his prerogative.

Heck I started backpacking with nothing.....then went to a tube tent...it was awesome! [Not!] Then I went to a couple different bivy setups but it only took a few really bad weather scenarios on Bowhunts in the Rockies and Alaska to realize it sucked. Now with the UL tent/tipi/shelter options its a no brainer...and it seems the more experienced among us agree.

For example, my Tarptent is 2# 4oz all in...with floor vestibule and bug mesh. Thats lighter than my last bivy setup. My tarptent is about 15 yrs old now [or more?] and still going strong.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Please give the OP opinions and experiences with bivys like he asked. I don't want to keep deleting posts because grown men are arguing over tent vs bivy.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Good post...different strokes. There are many of us that have used bivys with a tarp....and have moved on. We have many much better options now...thus all of the contrary to bivy advice. If a guy doesn't want to listen to the advice here- its his prerogative.

Heck I started backpacking with nothing.....then went to a tube tent...it was awesome! [Not!] Then I went to a couple different bivy setups but it only took a few really bad weather scenarios on Bowhunts in the Rockies and Alaska to realize it sucked. Now with the UL tent/tipi/shelter options its a no brainer...and it seems the more experienced among us agree.

For example, my Tarptent is 2# 4oz all in...with floor vestibule and bug mesh. Thats lighter than my last bivy setup. My tarptent is about 15 yrs old now [or more?] and still going strong.

I agree for the most part with the argument for not using a bivy. That's why I currently own a light weight tent and tipi and not a bivy. As I stated earlier the main reason I'm looking at a bivy is because my friend owns a tarp that I would share with him but I would like a little added protection for myself. The light weight tent is hard to beat. A bivy is definitely a hard sell. My light weight tent is currently a 3 man 3lb 4oz tent. . so the jump to a 1 pound waterproof bivy with a tarp someone else is carrying is an easier argument to make.

Good input guys. Lets all just be nice and sweet to each other! :)

I never liked the “restriction” of the bivy myself and found it really confining. Even though I might be zipped in my sleeping bag - I wanted some more space around me to move without hitting the side of the bivy. I was a firefighter for over 20 years, and did quite a few confined space rescues, so I’m not claustrophobic - but my bivy sack made me feel like I was when I was zipped up in it. I couldn’t wait to get up and out of it!

They say that 7% of the world population is extremely claustrophobic, and over 25% are mildly claustrophobic. If you’ve never slept in a bivy - try one out before you commit to it. My advice based on my own personal experience. Good luck!

I never liked the “restriction” of the bivy myself and found it really confining. Even though I might be zipped in my sleeping bag - I wanted some more space around me to move without hitting the side of the bivy. I was a firefighter for over 20 years, and did quite a few confined space rescues, so I’m not claustrophobic - but my bivy sack made me feel like I was when I was zipped up in it. I couldn’t wait to get up and out of it!

They say that 7% of the world population is extremely claustrophobic, and over 25% are mildly claustrophobic. If you’ve never slept in a bivy - try one out before you commit to it. My advice based on my own personal experience. Good luck!
I think that people feel restricted due to the way they sleep at home and are able to stretch out vs a bivy where you are in a small space that limits your normal sleep position at home. I sleep the same at home as i due out in the woods so thats why for me I'm comfortable in a bivy,as far is practicality of things It's very practical doing the new sleep spot everynight and also by easily being able to pack up in the morning. I think the weather and a person's ability to handle certain weather conditions also affects there decision on a sleep system or shelter system. My opinion is based off solo experiences,now If you and a budy are going you could easily use a tarp with no problems also o have used a space blanket from big 5 sporting goods for 15 dollars to sleep on top of and it works well. Take in to consideration how many nights you will be out there and if a tent is worth it or going bivy is more benifical for you.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
To the OP. I have had good experiences with the TI Goat Raven Omni bivy and just finished a review on the Enlightened Equipment Recon Bivy. I like both of them but would choose the Recon for the use you mentioned. There are some other good options as well but I haven't used them myself.

The Henry Shires tents mentioned above are good options and I have spent many nights in some of them.

But, don't let guys scare you from the bivy/tarp or bivy/tent approach. I too spend a lot of nights in the backcountry (probably more than most) and that is my preferred way to go. Some tents are pretty light but even a three-man tent puts you very close to your buddy. And, you better be really good friends if you both intend to fit inside a two-man tent because you'll be touching.

For a solo shelter, I use a Dyneema tarp that ways 7.1 oz with the stakes along with a bivy sack that weighs less than 7 oz. I have enough room to sit up on my sleeping pad and eat my dinner or breakfast under my tarp while keeping all my gear under cover. I also don't have to take my boots off outside as I do with my tents.

When I'm sharing a shelter with a buddy or two, and weight is a concern, I use my bivy and the outer tent from my SL5 which is 10'x10' and weighs under 3 lbs with the center pole. If weight is less of a concern or I'm expecting really bad weather, I use my Kifaru Sawtooth with a bivy.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
To the OP. I have had good experiences with the TI Goat Raven Omni bivy and just finished a review on the Enlightened Equipment Recon Bivy. I like both of them but would choose the Recon for the use you mentioned. There are some other good options as well but I haven't used them myself.

The Henry Shires tents mentioned above are good options and I have spent many nights in some of them.

But, don't let guys scare you from the bivy/tarp or bivy/tent approach. I too spend a lot of nights in the backcountry (probably more than most) and that is my preferred way to go. Some tents are pretty light but even a three-man tent puts you very close to your buddy. And, you better be really good friends if you both intend to fit inside a two-man tent because you'll be touching.

For a solo shelter, I use a Dyneema tarp that ways 7.1 oz with the stakes along with a bivy sack that weighs less than 7 oz. I have enough room to sit up on my sleeping pad and eat my dinner or breakfast under my tarp while keeping all my gear under cover. I also don't have to take my boots off outside as I do with my tents.

When I'm sharing a shelter with a buddy or two, and weight is a concern, I use my bivy and the outer tent from my SL5 which is 10'x10' and weighs under 3 lbs with the center pole. If weight is less of a concern or I'm expecting really bad weather, I use my Kifaru Sawtooth with a bivy.

Good idea. I didn't think about using my outer tent with a bivy. Thanks for the feedback.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
What do you all think of the OR Helium bivy? It's on sale on Amazon for $99. It gets a lot of mediocre reviews and some bad ones. Most of the bad reviews are related to water infiltration. If I was planning on using it with my buddies tarp maybe it would be okay.

LandYacht

WKR
What do you all think of the OR Helium bivy? It's on sale on Amazon for $99. It gets a lot of mediocre reviews and some bad ones. Most of the bad reviews are related to water infiltration. If I was planning on using it with my buddies tarp maybe it would be okay.

The majority of my nights in an OR bivy have been in the Aurora model. On really cold nights, 20 degrees or less, there has been the occasional morning that I will have frost on the outside of my sleeping bag near the foot. That’s been the extent of poor moisture transfer. I am certain that it has been from the inside trying to get out. Additionally, I am usually under a tarp, so I’ve never been fully zipped in raining weather. I’ve spent plenty of cloudless nights out in the open with it and it gets closed but not zipped to keep the cold wind off.

Now onto the Helium. I don’t have any nights in it. The extent of my knowledge is a few couple hour sessions in it to check it out at the house. I just got the Helium two days ago. I immediately appreciated the roomier cut on the Helium vs the Aurora. Also, the hoop is a nice touch, the Aurora is a clamshell bivy that you have to tie up if you want the big screen off your face.

The floor on the Helium isn’t as robust as the Aurora and that’s the only drawback I see between the two. I run an XL Neoair and the Aurora would compress my sleeping bag if I side slept, the Helium is bigger doesn’t compress my bag. The extra room is so large that my GSP can fit in the Helium with me, whereas there really wasn’t anyway she would have comfortably fit in Aurora.

I didn’t notice any moisture problems on the panels of the Helium after a couple hour nap with both her and I. However, I did notice that where the seams were taped and where the hoop is reinforced a small amount of condensation had accumulated. I don’t see how moisture could evaporate from these points on any bivy or tent. But it’s something to keep my eye on for further test runs. Also, when you have the bivy deployed with just the netting over the head, the Pertex fabric hangs in the void that is created by the hoop. I could see this decreasing airflow and helping to increase moisture issues in the bivy. I can stuff the extra Pertex over the hoop, but I would like to come up with a more “finished” solution.

I think that the Helium is going to be replacing my Aurora based on my initial impressions. I wish I had more real world use to share, but I figure it’s more than nothing. I run my bivy with an LBO and I’ve never been left wanting for more. It’s a little overkill, but I figure it allows me to snag my bag and bivy and spike somewhere if needed and I can leave my LBO setup for those that I am hunting with too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zloomis

Lil-Rokslider
A pro for bivies that I don’t often hear mentioned is setup time. I use them if I’m moving a lot and want to be able to setup camp in seconds or if I get to a trailhead late at night.
For traveling fast if it does not look like it will rain overnight I just throw my down bag in the bivy but if it looks like there will be rain I spend the extra time stringing up a tarp.
At trailheads I don’t want to unpack whatever tent I may be using from my pack and have to repack in the morning (potentially starting my trip off with a wet tent also).
With that in mind I prefer coffin type or hooped type bivies over the ones that require stringing up to trekking poles etc. I have used the REI minimalist, the Rab Alpine and a Borah gear bivy (don’t remember the model). They all do the job I’m looking for but they are definitely not as nice as a tent or as just having my bag under a tarp. But for convenience of setup at certain times they helpful.

how about floor less tarp, tent, and a large enough piece of tyvek to use as ground clothe and fold over the top of you for top protection, maybe like a 7'x7' piece,,,, taco style!

Interesting to hear all the talk with the bivy set up. Is the type of sleeping bag paired with a bivy a concern. Synthetic vs down. With all the comments on. Moisture is it a bad idea to throw a down bag in a bivy?

Stuie88

FNG
I love the bivy and tarp setup. Myself and two brothers use them with a 3x3 tarp.
My brother swears by the north face assault bivy, and it keeps him and his down bag dry. I prefer the TNF backpacker bivy, its just a tiny tent. Youngest brother uses whatever we lend him. None of us prefer the military goretex bivys. They are ok on the right conditions, but we found it didnt breathe that well.
Comments on the weight are reasonable, after you carry something like a eVent bivy the goretex bag feels pretty heavy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ridgefire

WKR
I have been happy with my TI Goat Raven Omni by itself or paired with my Kifaru paratarp bivy for weight factor and being able to sleep pretty much anywhere. If weather is a concern I will use my BA Flycreek UL2. Vast majority of use is the summer months though so weather is not to much of a factor. I would hate to weather out a storm in just a bivy sac though, I imagine that would be miserable.

I agree for the most part with the argument for not using a bivy. That's why I currently own a light weight tent and tipi and not a bivy. As I stated earlier the main reason I'm looking at a bivy is because my friend owns a tarp that I would share with him but I would like a little added protection for myself. The light weight tent is hard to beat. A bivy is definitely a hard sell. My light weight tent is currently a 3 man 3lb 4oz tent. . so the jump to a 1 pound waterproof bivy with a tarp someone else is carrying is an easier argument to make.

Good input guys. Lets all just be nice and sweet to each other! :)

IMO, if the bivy’s sole purpose is to be used in conjunction with a tarp, there is no need for something that’s totally waterproof like a stand alone bivy. Not only is the stand alone going to weigh more, but I think that regardless of anything, you’re going to have greater condensation issues than if you just used a UL wt. (and very breathable), one with a waterproof bottom.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
IMO, if the bivy’s sole purpose is to be used in conjunction with a tarp, there is no need for something that’s totally waterproof like a stand alone bivy. Not only is the stand alone going to weigh more, but I think that regardless of anything, you’re going to have greater condensation issues than if you just used a UL wt. (and very breathable), one with a waterproof bottom.

I ended up buying the OR Helium bivy. It was on sale and I won't be using it much so it will do the trick.