Best Bivy

Benjblt

WKR
So I'm looking for a good light weight, waterproof, bivy that breaths well. I was interested in the Rab Alpine bivy just because I hear the Event waterproof fabric breathes well. I really like the concept and weight of the OR Helium. I like that it has the pole to bring the bivy off of your face but I'm concerned that the condensation will be too bad with the breathability of the fabric. Any thoughts? The Rab seems like it may be overkill and too much like a coffin with no pole.

jmden

WKR
TarpTent Rainbow or the like. Mine is less than 2 lbs. You'll thank me later. ;) Done both and don't have plans to consider bivvying again while hunting.

Pro953

WKR
Along that same vein I run a TarpTent Pro Trail. Extremely light but still offers a bit more comfort than a bivy. Under 2 LBS as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
So I'm looking for a good light weight, waterproof, bivy that breaths well. I was interested in the Rab Alpine bivy just because I hear the Event waterproof fabric breathes well. I really like the concept and weight of the OR Helium. I like that it has the pole to bring the bivy off of your face but I'm concerned that the condensation will be too bad with the breathability of the fabric. Any thoughts? The Rab seems like it may be overkill and too much like a coffin with no pole.

TarpTent Rainbow or the like. Mine is less than 2 lbs. You'll thank me later. ;) Done both and don't have plans to consider bivvying again while hunting.

I nodded in agreement when i saw these comments...no more bivy for me either. I also do the Tarptent- discontinued version. I got tired of moisture issues and the restriction of a bivy that was close to the same weight as a tarptent.

Rizzy

WKR
The Rab is the only e-vent with a 70d bottom, I just wish it had a little more circumference and longer zipper. It's tight, you better be OK with being mummied. I can sleep sideways in it just barely. I have used the Rab for a couple seasons with either a sheep tarp or super tarp or by itself in fair weather. I have only felt the need to zip it up all the way when it was windy and the only condensation I noticed was right in front of my face. Not a big deal for me, but I can imagine it would be annoying for some.
In hindsight I have had a lot more condensation with single wall shelters pitched tight to the ground, than that e-vent bivy.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Well you all have me talked out of the Rab I think . . . or even a bivy. Bummer because I have someone willing to sell me the Rab Alpine for $130.

I'll probably stick with my 3+ lb Mountain Hardwear tent for now.

Jimss

WKR
I would have to agree with the above posts. Although bivy's may be a good idea they definitely have a lot of disadvantages! Condensation and cramped quarters are the main. If you spend time in the rain you'll learn that it's no fun trying to get dressed, cook, etc in a bivy! I would seriously look into some of the tarptents mentioned above.

Another great option I've used a lot over the years is to use just the fly off my 4 season tent during early season. I have a Hilleberg Nallo 3 tent. The fly plus a couple poles and stakes weighs around 2 1/2 lbs and is bomberproof. There is loads of room for you plus all your gear...and a vestibule to cook under. I often bring along painters plastic for floor which only adds a couple ounces. When it looks like rain or snow I'll add the main inner tent...if super wet I can add a footprint.

You can likely do the same thing with other tents if the fly can be set up separate from the tent body. They are a super light option and work great!

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider

Why are you shopping for a bivy? Are you looking to go tent free? Do you have an open floor tent or tarp and you're just interested in some splash protection? Are you trying to add some warmth to your sleep system? I know the other guys have pointed you towards the TarpTents (which are awesome), but there still may be reasons that a bivy might be right for you. What was the problem you were trying to solve?

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Why are you shopping for a bivy? Are you looking to go tent free? Do you have an open floor tent or tarp and you're just interested in some splash protection? Are you trying to add some warmth to your sleep system? I know the other guys have pointed you towards the TarpTents (which are awesome), but there still may be reasons that a bivy might be right for you. What was the problem you were trying to solve?

My body has a Kifaru tarp and I was going to start hunting with him. I figured a bivy would be a good option to go with for a tarp. It also might be a good "on-the-go" set up.

Wrongside

WKR
I used a Bivy as my main/only shelter for quite a few years. Have owned a few (Integral Designs/TiGoat/Borah Gear) my favorite, by far, is the Borah Snowside Bivy. Event rocks for breath ability and the Bivy is massive, even with my winter bag in it. Massive, but still quite light. Much lighter than my old ID. Nowadays, I mostly use it in conjunction with a good SilTarp or floorless shelter now. Having just a Bivy can really bite sometimes... 🙂

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
My body has a Kifaru tarp and I was going to start hunting with him. I figured a bivy would be a good option to go with for a tarp. It also might be a good "on-the-go" set up.

Gotcha! In that case, I think it makes sense for you to keep looking at them. I'm in the same boat, and am looking for the same reasons (+ adding some warmth). My thinking is condensation is not going to be an issue when under a tarp or in a floor-less tent, since you're not relying on it for all of your protection, and can therefore open it up for ventilation. If you need to hunker down you still can, but the rest of the time you can keep it fairly open, and still get the benefits of a built in ground sheet, splash, and draft protection.

I use a military gortex bivy and have been very satisfied and happy with it,it's kept me dry amd warm and i can pack it down pretty small
b1ce4c3b3019efa2994e939863e35c38.jpg

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

I use a military gortex bivy and have been very satisfied and happy with it,it's kept me dry amd warm and i can pack it down pretty small
b1ce4c3b3019efa2994e939863e35c38.jpg

These things are great.

Durable - Last forever
Functional - keep you dry
Cheap - I have found them new for $30

The only issues I have with them is (1) no big protection, which is minor, and (2) the weight. They are over 2#s. A good city bivy will be half that weight. I still think they are great kit but heavy for what they offer relative to some alternatives.

These things are great.

Durable - Last forever
Functional - keep you dry
Cheap - I have found them new for $30

The only issues I have with them is (1) no big protection, which is minor, and (2) the weight. They are over 2#s. A good city bivy will be half that weight. I still think they are great kit but heavy for what they offer relative to some alternatives.
The extra weight dose not bother me,I've stayed dry,warm, and able to breathe no worries.

jmden

WKR
The extra weight dose not bother me,I've stayed dry,warm, and able to breathe no worries.

Have same one and used on a few trips. It weighs more than my TarpTent Rainbow and the Rainbow is lightyears ahead in comfort and protection for myself and all my gear. Not going back. Spent a few nights under a tarp too. Nice in great weather but rain/snow/wind--tent all the way and between tarp and bivvy you'll likely be packing more weight and be less comfortable and protected than several of the tents that have been on the market for some time.

Wrongside

WKR
With a 2lb bivy you may as well just go to a tent.

No kidding. Tons of good options for solo and even two-man shelters. Especially floorless. I'd go with my SO LBO at 1.5 pounds, long before a 2 pound bivy. Even tho I did it for years with the old ID, it's just not necessary these days.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don't get how 2lbs is to much,like I've stated it works fine for me,rain,cold and wind no troubles. I like the k.i.s.s approach. I do not get to much into the weight and counti g oz.

2lbs is too much for a bivy, especially one that doesn't even have bug netting. May not be a concern where you are, but it matters in a lot of places. Plenty of tents on the market that are lighter than that bivy sack, with more room, more comfort. I spent way too much time in those bivy bags in the Marines. You can have those things. The KISS approach doesn't apply any more to that bivy than it does to a dialed in tent setup. I guarantee the tent will be more comfortable, especially if you are trying to ride out a storm, and you want your gear covered as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk