Recommendations for a new backcountry tent.

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
As the title says I’m looking for a new 1 person backcountry tent. What’s everyone’s favorite? I’m currently looking at tarptent and msr but looking for suggestions!
Thanks!!

Last edited:

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
Are you okay with an open floor or do you need/want a bathtub/bug mesh? Do you want to be able to keep your gear under cover with you?

OP
J

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
Bathtub would be preferrable with bug mesh. i do Trips to the BWCA and if you have been there you will know how bad mosquitoes can be haha

Big Agnes has some pretty good options, like the Fly Creek, if you don’t anticipate really strong winds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zloomis

Lil-Rokslider
I do a lot of canoe trips in the Adirondacks and Algonquin. I have in the BCWA too but it’s been awhile. Anyway very used to bugs and rain.
I just got a Seek Outside LBO with the 3 piece vestibule and the inner nest. This gives me a lot of versatility because if I want to be super light I don’t bring the bug net or a pole and I’m right around a pound for a huge shelter. I saw a pole to length at camp or use my paddle as the pole. For some reason the tipi alone reduces bugs quite a bit. Then if I’m less weight conscious or I know the bugs will be extra ridiculous I bring the nest which has a bathtub floor and bug netting.
The only two things that I don’t love right now is 1. if you are sleeping two in the nest (significant others only it is super tight) there is only one zipper so one person has to crawl over the other person and 2. the condensation can get a little annoying. I’m working on reducing the condensation by lifting the tipi higher to increase airflow but I haven’t gotten out to test it yet.
Another cool thing about the LBO is you can buy extension pieces and put a stove in it for a multi-person winter setup.
If you want to go the tent route Big Agnes and Nemo makes some right around 2 pounds. Being in the trees makes wind less of an issue so you don’t need a heavy duty tent. But they have a lot less space so for canoe trips I pair a tent with a large tarp (10'x10' minimum) that’s where I store my gear and cook/hang out in the rain. That gives me a lot of shelter options for 3 pounds.

OP
J

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
I do a lot of canoe trips in the Adirondacks and Algonquin. I have in the BCWA too but it’s been awhile. Anyway very used to bugs and rain.
I just got a Seek Outside LBO with the 3 piece vestibule and the inner nest. This gives me a lot of versatility because if I want to be super light I don’t bring the bug net or a pole and I’m right around a pound for a huge shelter. I saw a pole to length at camp or use my paddle as the pole. For some reason the tipi alone reduces bugs quite a bit. Then if I’m less weight conscious or I know the bugs will be extra ridiculous I bring the nest which has a bathtub floor and bug netting.
The only two things that I don’t love right now is 1. if you are sleeping two in the nest (significant others only it is super tight) there is only one zipper so one person has to crawl over the other person and 2. the condensation can get a little annoying. I’m working on reducing the condensation by lifting the tipi higher to increase airflow but I haven’t gotten out to test it yet.
Another cool thing about the LBO is you can buy extension pieces and put a stove in it for a multi-person winter setup.
If you want to go the tent route Big Agnes and Nemo makes some right around 2 pounds. Being in the trees makes wind less of an issue so you don’t need a heavy duty tent. But they have a lot less space so for canoe trips I pair a tent with a large tarp (10'x10' minimum) that’s where I store my gear and cook/hang out in the rain. That gives me a lot of shelter options for 3 pounds.

Awesome! Thanks for the INsight zloomis. I will look into that option!

There’s an awesome Kifaru Supertarp brand new for sale in the Classifieds for $250 right now.

Hoping someone buys it so I’m not tempted to! I need it like a hole in the head right now, but it is a great deal!

Add an Annex with stove jack to it and you could even add a nest if you wanted a tub floor and mesh to keep bugs out.

I’ve borrowed one from a buddy twice and loved it. Very roomy and versatile.

Good Luck!

dog812

WKR
I just tried a smd lunar solo, pretty cool little tent, bathtub, bug net, 24oz.
0ae689644889417b7d0f334032a9bbde.jpg
d913f6bc0da11a9cc36651e06a4ba487.jpg

NickID

FNG
Really like my LBO as a single person option. Light and quick setup with lots of room to spread my gear out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swampr42

FNG
I would look at a six moons also. I think I’m going to go with the Lunar Duo Explorer for next summer. Problem is there’s so many good tents and brands.

tttoadman

WKR
My go to is Six Moons Lunar Solo LE. The LE has a heavier floor. They don't make it anymore. I have a custom 5/8 pole made so this will take any winter weather I can imagine without having to use my trek pole.

I run a big Agnus copper spur 2. Light weight, can also fast fly and save a pound.
Used this the past two seasons and it performed perfect. It’s a permanent part of my setup.
Mark

OP
J

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies, i really appreciate it! Like Swamp42 said there is just so many options. Its nice to see what other people are using!

Last edited:

alyuaz

WKR
From personal experience and if you are going with a double wall tent to avoid condensation problems,MSR Hubba Solo is a very good option right at 3 lbs including a footprint. I had a Big Anus Copper Spur HV UL 1 set up next to MSR at home and it seems like the materials BA uses are a bit flimsy and the footprint does not fit the tent good. My BA SLX sleeping pad was extremely noisy in a BA tent and hardly any noise in MSR tent.
If you decide to go with a Hubba Solo,buy it now since you won’t see current low prices again until next fall.
Backcountry has it for $245 plus footprint and you can get 8% cash back if you purchase it through ActiveJunky.

Last edited:
OP
J

JBiggs

Lil-Rokslider
From personal experience and if you are going with a double wall tent to avoid condensation problems,MSR Hubba Solo is a very good option right at 3 lbs including a footprint. I had a Big Anus Copper Spur HV UL 1 set up next to MSR at home and it seems like the materials BA uses are a bit flimsy and the footprint does not fit the tent good. My BA SLX sleeping pad was extremely noisy in a BA tent and hardly any noise in MSR tent.
If you decide to go with a Hubba Solo,buy it now since you won’t see current low prices again until next fall.
Backcountry has it for $245 plus footprint and you can get 8% cash back if you purchase it through ActiveJunky.

Wow awesome!!! thanks for the heads up alyuaz!!!! Appreciate it!