Paria Thermodown 0

JakeC

FNG
I'm looking for a bag for winter time weekend packing/camping trips here in Ohio. Do any of you have any experience with this bag?
I have no experience with down bags but a 3 lb zero bag for 160 bucks seems like a decent value.
Thanks.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Rule of thumb is usually:

Light
Warm
Cheap

You can pick 2. I haven't heard anything bad about their gear, but I would be a little skeptical of it being a true 0 degree bag.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
J

JakeC

FNG
Rule of thumb is usually:

Light
Warm
Cheap

You can pick 2. I haven't heard anything bad about their gear, but I would be a little skeptical of it being a true 0 degree bag.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
True. I dont think I'd push my luck much lower than 15 in it. I'm a cold sleeper, so I usually over compensate on temp ratings anyway. I dont necessarily need anything super light. Most of my winter camping locally is done about a 30 minute walk from the truck so I'll gladly accept a weight penalty to save a few bucks for this setup.

dtrkyman

WKR
I got a chance to use mine for three nights, mid 20s low 20s and teens the last night.

I am a cold sleeper and mid 20s would be max for me with this bag with one layer on, a better mat and layers would probably get into the teens? I have a ba insulated ultra and I hear they are not the warmest?

I wasn’t totally uncomfortable at 17 but would definitely need to tweak the system to be comfortable for multiple nights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

JakeC

FNG
I got a chance to use mine for three nights, mid 20s low 20s and teens the last night.

I am a cold sleeper and mid 20s would be max for me with this bag with one layer on, a better mat and layers would probably get into the teens? I have a ba insulated ultra and I hear they are not the warmest?

I wasn’t totally uncomfortable at 17 but would definitely need to tweak the system to be comfortable for multiple nights!

Thanks for the review! That's about what I was expecting hear.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
You might want to check Outdoor Vitals. I've read good things about their bags, specifically that they're warmer that Paria and they have a similar pricing structure.

dtrkyman

WKR
I am on the fence about contacting Paria for a return? I think the bag exceeds its price but not its rating! I know I should just bite the bullet and go WM. but I really do not use it that much.

Potentialy this bag with a warmer pad and layers would likely do what I need?

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
I am on the fence about contacting Paria for a return? I think the bag exceeds its price but not its rating! I know I should just bite the bullet and go WM. but I really do not use it that much.

Potentialy this bag with a warmer pad and layers would likely do what I need?

You could layer...
Pick up one of those Costco down blankets. They're stupid light, and you could shove it inside your bag on trips you know will be in the single digits or low teens. The rest of the time, leave the down blanket at home.

Also, either upgrade your pad or get a closed cell foam pad to use with your current inflatable pad. If you insist on only carrying an inflatable pad for 0* camping, you're really only left with one option, the Thermarest Neoair Xtherm. With other high R value inflatables, you should probably also carry a closed cell foam pad to put under your inflatable at those temperatures. The CCF will add about 2.5R and also protect the bottom of your pad from punctures. Just my $.02

OP
J

JakeC

FNG
You could layer...
Pick up one of those Costco down blankets. They're stupid light, and you could shove it inside your bag on trips you know will be in the single digits or low teens. The rest of the time, leave the down blanket at home.

Also, either upgrade your pad or get a closed cell foam pad to use with your current inflatable pad. If you insist on only carrying an inflatable pad for 0* camping, you're really only left with one option, the Thermarest Neoair Xtherm. With other high R value inflatables, you should probably also carry a closed cell foam pad to put under your inflatable at those temperatures. The CCF will add about 2.5R and also protect the bottom of your pad from punctures. Just my $.02

The down blanket is a good idea. I used to do the same thing with a fleece bag when I was young and broke. I'd use my cheap bag down into the single digits with the fleece liner. A good nights sleep wasnt nearly as important as it now so I didnt mind a cold night or two then.

Not trying to rain on the parade. Why would you gamble on a bag in the backcountry? If it works then great. There are a lot of proven options out there.

OP
J

JakeC

FNG
Not trying to rain on the parade. Why would you gamble on a bag in the backcountry? If it works then great. There are a lot of proven options out there.
I didnt know a 150 acre farm in eastern Ohio was "the back country"....

dtrkyman

WKR
Not gambling in the back country is why I am testing it now, I was truck camping with electric, I brought a space heater and could also start the truck!

I am thinking my pad may have been the issue, a foam pad to go under the inflatable is something I was already thinking about, did I hear it on the forum that guys were using those reflective windshield sun screens?

JD619er

WKR
Your pad is more important than your bag for cold weather camping! Get a foam pad or an xtherm and I bet that bag will get you another 10 degrees.

OP
J

JakeC

FNG
Your pad is more important than your bag for cold weather camping! Get a foam pad or an xtherm and I bet that bag will get you another 10 degrees.

It really does make a huge difference. When I was young and broke in scouts I would duct tape 2 cheap closed cell foam pads one on top of the other when it started getting bellow ~30 degrees and it made a world of difference.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
I am thinking my pad may have been the issue, a foam pad to go under the inflatable is something I was already thinking about, did I hear it on the forum that guys were using those reflective windshield sun screens?

I've seen people on YouTube use sunscreens, but I've never tried it myself. You can get a Thermarest CCF pad for $20 though, and I've seen Alps Mountaineering CCF pads for cheaper.

dtrkyman

WKR
Cabelas has a thermarest solite pad on sale for 15 bux I’m going to grab today!