SeekOutside Cub Stove

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get a stove for my Silvertip. I was all set to order a Lite Outdoors cylinder stove but watched some YouTube vids complaining about durability so started researching box style. I like the weight savings of the Cub over the medium size but am concerned that it's gonna be too small to really do anything. Anyone have real world experience with this little stove? I'll be using it mainly for winter hot tenting with 3-5 mile pack ins.

reaper

WKR
It looks small as crazy,liteoutdoors stoves works perfectly fine.Youll have to work a lot on wood prep,smaller pieces and don't expect a long burning time.Looks awesome to kill the chill and make some coffee but not much.The price is too expensive for a small stove of this size better throw your money on the medium.
Looking to get a stove for my Silvertip. I was all set to order a Lite Outdoors cylinder stove but watched some YouTube vids complaining about durability so started researching box style. I like the weight savings of the Cub over the medium size but am concerned that it's gonna be too small to really do anything. Anyone have real world experience with this little stove? I'll be using it mainly for winter hot tenting with 3-5 mile pack ins.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:
Call Seek Outside and ask either Dustin or Nathan. They will shoot straight with you on it.

I considered it too for a Silvertip because it’s “almost” half the weight of the medium. Everybody I spoke to talked me out of it.

Adding wood every 30 minutes or so didn’t sound ideal to me, but that’s about what I do on my bbq smoker when I’m cooking at home. The Silvertip is small and they do list the cub as an option, so I’m sure it will heat it, but not for very long before you’d need to add more fuel. The door has to be tiny too for the cub on a 6”x6” piece of titanium - I pictured it in my mind as trying to cram pieces of wood through an opening that is so small I might burn my hand on the edges.

All of that together was enough to change my mind. Good luck!

Last edited:

rbljack

WKR
Subscribed. I keep going round and round on a lighter stove option for a supertarp….Im looking at the medium SO as well. I was looking at the TI goat WIFI, but that small door opening and the way it just hangs on there keeps detracting me and delaying me from buying a stove..I keep on looking and debating...LOL.

Lawnboi

WKR
Smaller stoves are a pain because of wood prep. I can’t speak of the particular stove here but I can say that if I’m carrying a stove, spending time putting it together along with wood prep, I’m bringing something big enough not to be snapping sticks into 4” chunks to feed the thing.

Just my opinion having used a parastove some

OP
D

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
Good points on the small door and short length. So let's hear some pros and cons on cylinder vs box? Like I said, I was set on the Lite Outdoors until a saw some durablity issues on YouTube. I realize that these things are made out of super lightweight materials but I do want it to last a couple years.

jmden

WKR
I have a Cub. I have yet to use it in my smallest 2 Man TipiTent (5 1/2' tall x 8' diameter), but I know it will work well because it is actually a bit larger than the old Kifaru Parastove I rocked in that size TipiTent and the Parastove blew me out of the shelter in single digit F temps with me down to my skivvies and pressed against the tent wall. The SO damper assembly is like have temp regulated HVAC in your tent...just adjust for the temp you want.

I have in the past used the Parastove (again, smaller than the Cub) in my 3+ Tipitent (7' tall by 10 1/2' diameter) for alpine late October/early November elk hunts and been fine and plenty warm for cooking, heating and drying off. Yeah, you have to feed it a bit more and cut wood appropriate size...bid deal. I never thought it that much inconvience, but the larger size SO stoves would be nicer no doubt. If you want to save weight and bulk, that's the trade off. I will say the Medium SO stove, which I used quite a bit in my 3+ size Tipitent this fall, is a great unit.

reaper

WKR
What durability issues you saw?

Cylinder: + lighweight,can cook on it with the top rods from LOD,body lenght can be switch shorter or longer and easy to repair with foil.Cost less VS box.More heat source vs Box stove.No leaks.

- can be a pain to find a place in a backpack
Super short small door(kifaru)huge one with LOD
-doesnt have a good collar set,just a damper.Baffle is shit don't use it if it use the wrong way youll damage your stove.

Box stove: + easier to cook on them,fast set-up and take down,must of them have a good collar set/damper.

- super expensive,too much in my opinion.
They will wrap on corners,every stoves will eventually wrapp.Leaks.If you broke a piece it will be hard to replace and will cost you a lot $.

The best stove i used for a while was the 18" cylinder stove from LOD with a damper kit from seekoutside,but stupid as i am i sold everything with a 6 man tipi because i was needed the money

Best way built your own.

Good points on the small door and short length. So let's hear some pros and cons on cylinder vs box? Like I said, I was set on the Lite Outdoors until a saw some durablity issues on YouTube. I realize that these things are made out of super lightweight materials but I do want it to last a couple years.
9b87b97784325934ff07a793204ad08c.jpg
4fa531902b95271e8ba8825ad6e4ac62.jpg
9babb0aea7ca1a798cf62dd1e23e810e.jpg
85a5d16003cb410618b6766bfa2c7474.jpg
50d895c37972481bd568f6871ed3bca7.jpg

Buck2747

FNG
Reaper do you have any plans for that stove you built? And can I ask the final wieght?

reaper

WKR
Reaper do you have any plans for that stove you built? And can I ask the final wieght?
I dont have any plans but i can help.
Final weight depend on wich hardware you will use but it is pretty light.Just send me PM i will try to take the specs this week.

I use a pop-rivet hand tool.
Titanium top and bottom medium size from seekoutside(in the stove accessoires section)
Titanium foil is from Liteoutdoors (body of the stove)
Aluminum angle(will be fix on the top and bottom plates to hold the body)+ metal rod(legs) from any hardware Store.
The door is made from foil or you can use what you want.
Damper set can be purchase from seekoutside,mine is from Ed stove.

49196e80dd31e518f1d995bb959a4992.jpg
d430ab48a8614d8b57b4c93245d8d32c.jpg

Last edited: