Canvas wall tent reccomendations?

Jude

FNG
I bought my first wall tent 10×12 from the wall tent shop last year with 5ft. side walls and 4 rafters.
Lots a room for 1 or 2 with cots, I could live full time in this tent but it was difficult for me to put up by myself.
This year I bought a 10×10 pyramid tent that I haven't used yet but will be much easier to erect.

akrdkill

WKR
ak tent tarp igloo model only weighs 37lbs with poles...good for 2 people & doesn't need a big large stove to heat it.....theres a lot of options out there & a lot of them cheaper but at 37lbs its getting into easy 1 man setup move around type of tent that you can stand in & will take any weather

I own the AK Tent & Tarp 10 x 12. I don't have an internal frame and have mostly used trees from the area I'm in. I've also hung it from rope strung between two trees as well as an experimental 3 pole system I tried this year - the external tree frame has been the best so far. My experience has been It's not practical to set it up for one or two nights and then move or go home. It's also not practical in open tundra or anywhere I can't harvest 9 roughly 12' long trees to set it up. The tent alone weighs almost 50 pounds, the complete wood stove weighs almost 80 and my cot weighs 20. It takes a couple hours to find and prep the trees and then set up the tent so it's not the kind of thing you can roll into camp after dark and start setting up camp (though I've done it). Ideally it's a two man tent, and the extra hand really helps with set up. The stove typically burns for 3 - 4 hours before the fire is out completely so I have plan to get up every 3 hours to stoke the fire - my hunting partner doesn't share that same of motivation...The wood stove draws in the rest of the hunting group and it often winds up being a community hang out at the beginning and end of the day.

Is it amazing to be able to warm up and dry out your clothes? Absolutely.
Is it a pain in the ass? Absolutely.
Is it worth it? Sometimes.

CorbLand

WKR
They are good early to mid season tents. I feel they are shitty late season. Basically a single wall nylon tent, shaped like a canvas wall tent, without the benefits of canvas. The one I stayed in this year had shirts "sewn" into some of the vents with paracord on a late season MT hunt because the stove couldn't keep it above freezing in the tent.

Good to know. I have only seen one as I was driving past some guys with one. Always thought they look a little thin but an interesting idea.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Montana canvas with relite walls 8x10 just big enough for two with cots stove small table and firewood....relite is durable yet lighter and dries much quicker I routinely set mine up on avg five times a year mostly in the dark by myself and have fire going in 20 minutes..

OP
G

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered a canvas tipi/sibley? They run a single pole with 10 to 20 tie outs and can withstand some serious wind and snow load. They're made out of 10.10oz Sunforger canvas and weight anywhere from about 30-50lbs. Check out Dark Timber Bows to see some pics or PM me and I can get you some pictures. I offer a 6 man which is 14' dia, an 8 man that is 16' and a 12 that is 20'.

I have not but I am certainly open to them. Would you mind posting a photo or two here on this thread? If not feel free to PM or email me.

LaHunter

WKR
Check out the Cabela's Instinct Outfitter tents. I have one of these and it is fairly easy and quick to set up solo. They have a stove jack and a zip out area of the floor for a wood burning stove. I spent a week in mine and it held up very well in some extremely high WY winds and snow. Mine held heat extremely well, so a small stove is plenty for it. Its much easier to set up and take down vs a wall tent (I have a Davis Wall tent too) if you are solo or just 1 other person. It packs down pretty small for this size tent and I think mine weighs about 50ish lbs total. It would easily fit in the back of a small SUV. Just another option. Wall tents are great, but they are a lot of effort and time to set up.

OP
G

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, FJ crusiers are quite small.

That they are, which is coincidentally one of the things that I LOVE about it. Small and light means it gets into tight places better and doesn't swamp out in backcountry treks. It handles very, very similar to a 4 door Jeep Wrangler offroad but is much more comfortable on road. Also I literally never go anywhere with more than one person with me and my commute to work is less than a mile. The wife has a better road ride that we travel in and pile up in for trips. I really value how easy it is to access things in a decent FJ. For what it is worth, my current hunting loadout for two guys with two stands takes up the cargo area to the tops of the back seats and the 60% rear seat. That includes a cooler for food and a cooler for meat on the way out and has nothing on the rack up top. If adding a camp setup I would expect to drop the other rear seat down and potentially have to move the two Lone Wolf stands up top or put the larger rotomolded cooler on a hitch carrier. After that I'd have more than enough room to pack it all and still see out of the glass.

I've thought about doing an offroad teardrop or pop up more similar to what the overlander folks are using as well. However, I have a few concerns with those. I go a few places that I really truly don't want to be towing a trailer into on a regular basis. Not only are some of the roads fairly rough but there isn't much of a way to turn around with a trailer in several of the areas that I frequent should something go wrong. Also, I don't really have a good place to store a trailer/camper for this use. I could always rent a bay but I generally don't buy into the entire concept of owning more crap than you can store...no storage units or bays or any of that for me and if the trailer was at home my only place to put it would be right smack dab in the middle of my knife shop in the garage where it would be in the way. Also, I really like hearing the wildlife and what not when I camp like you can from a tent or hammock. I just need to add some features and functions that my backpacking tents do not offer...like a floor-less design that I can trek dirt/blood into and heat in the wintertime to help dry out gear.

Montana canvas with relite walls 8x10 just big enough for two with cots stove small table and firewood....relite is durable yet lighter and dries much quicker I routinely set mine up on avg five times a year mostly in the dark by myself and have fire going in 20 minutes..

We have a 10x14 ourselves and it's been great. We ordered one at the busiest time of year and it arrived less than acceptable. We used it for two hunts and they then picked up on our front porch and sent us a new one. I'd buy my next one from them without concern. Just great CS.

elkduds

WKR
Kodiak canvas or springbar w frame and propane heater or stove will easily fit in your FJ. Pole sack is about 4' long, tent is 4x3x1'. Easy to store, easy to transport.

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I would like to pick up a canvas wall tent before next season. I most typically hunt either alone or with one other person. It might also flex as a camping tent for me and my wife. I'll likely run a cot and sleeping bag in it for myself or put an inflatable queen air mattress in it when the wife joins. What I'm looking for is:
  • quality construction
  • enough height to stand up
  • floorless design
  • efficient for 1-man to be able to easily put it up or take it down
  • the ability to run a stove in it
  • 8x10 - 10x12 ish in size...roomy for two folks but not really overly large
  • windows or an extra door would be nice.
  • Budget isn't the primary concern here, but on the same token I'm not looking for gold plated poles either. I'm looking for basic features with a quality build at a fair price for what it is. I need not impress anyone. I just want to be comfortable and have some room at base camp to dry out some clothes and cook in a warm tent through winter hunts.

What would you guys recommend to fit this need?

GDPOLK,

While you're looking around take a peek at our Wilderness Tent. It features everything you have mentioned and may fit your needs. We have it available with 5' or 6' walls if you want a smaller tent with a bit more headroom. If you have any specific questions we are here to help.

Best of luck with your search!

Tyler Beck - Manager - Wall Tent Shop

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The Beckel tent looks interesting. I had not heard of them.

Dave Ellis canvas tents has several two man tents. Theyre not traditional wall tents, most are re-creations of historic tent designs. Theyre real basic as canvas tents and tarps go but they go up with one person. Most use two poles which you can cut. Ive got a tarp tent from them that is good quality, nothing flimsy about it. I keep putting off trying their Range Tent.

Canvas tipis may be worth checking out. Stove jack, single pole, pack up very compact, designed for one person to put up. Ive got one thats a champ I love it. Tipi tent makes good ones.

My grumbling about wall tents is that they take up so much room in a truck. You can fill up the entire bed on a Tacoma with one.

I have both a 10x10 kodiak canvas and Montana canvas wall tent 12x14 . I find myself using the kodiak 70 percent of the time when by myself and packs down very small for back of SUV. I just use a small buddy heater when I get up in morning works great. will also work for 2 guys no problem.

Josh213

FNG
We have a 14x17 Montana Wall tent...fits 3 people with cots, wood stove, hunting gear, and folding table for cooking pretty easily.... it's pretty heavy though.... Someone mentioned the Alaskan Tent & Tarp company....I have been looking at their stuff and it looks really good...just pricey!

OP
G

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
What are the odds that a propane buddy heater would build up carbon monoxide inside the tent?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What are the odds that a propane buddy heater would build up carbon monoxide inside the tent?

I use a double tank top heater on a 40lb propane tank in my wall tent without issue, but I only use it first thing in the morning to warm up the tent. It puts out way more heat that those Buddy heaters, but I usually take a CO detector as well. I definitely wouldn't run one all night or for long periods of time.

bhylton

WKR
GDPOLK,

While you're looking around take a peek at our Wilderness Tent. It features everything you have mentioned and may fit your needs. We have it available with 5' or 6' walls if you want a smaller tent with a bit more headroom. If you have any specific questions we are here to help.

Best of luck with your search!

Tyler Beck - Manager - Wall Tent Shop

^^^^ Definitely give these guys a look. good prices, great service and good products. Wife and i picked up a 12 x 14 in 2015, lived in it for a year and have taken it everywhere since.
Some folks have mentioned the bigger tents are harder to set up.... I personally dont have trouble setting the 12 x 14 by myself. it takes longer due to the size, but its not difficult. I still think a 12 x 12 with 3 or 4 foot walls is the perfect setup for 2 :)

I use a Buddy heater in my little slide in camper and I get no CO until the propane is about to run out. Now my Jetboil will send CO up in a hurry just heating water for morning coffee. I also get little to none from my Coleman Butane stove I use to do some light cooking in the evenings.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider

Buddy catalytic heaters don't have an open flame, so they produce only very small amounts of CO. If your tent has decent ventilation to deal with condensation, it more than likely has plenty of ventilation for a catalytic heater. *Having said that, I'm not an expert, just repeating what I've read in a ton of articles.