Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bag Compression Sack

treillw

WKR
Have a WM Versalite Bag. Looking for a good compression sack for it. Suggestions?

Do you use compression bags for any of your other equipment?

Thanks!

Mi_fiveo

WKR
c912a4f7cb79ef893add63fee52a8a31.jpg

I use this for my WM Alpinlite. Compresses the bag down to the size of a coffee can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Is it worth getting one that is waterproof if you are diligent about keeping your pack dry? Ie) put the rain cover on it when it's raining.

c912a4f7cb79ef893add63fee52a8a31.jpg

I use this for my WM Alpinlite. Compresses the bag down to the size of a coffee can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 or 5 ounces for a stuff sack is overkill IMO, you can save some weight with a roll top and still compress the bags well.

Steep and Cheap had some granite gear uberlight DCF/event roll top sacks on clearance a while back and that's what I use. The 18L version is plenty big for an alpinlite or versalite and weigh 0.74 ounce. I'm not sure they even make them anymore but there are plenty of roll top options out there in sil, event, and dyneema.

At less than an ounce it is worth it even if you're diligent about keeping your pack dry. Especially if you are ever on extended trips in wet climates or conditions. A lot of times your bag wont be in your pack.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
4 or 5 ounces for a stuff sack is overkill IMO, you can save some weight with a roll top and still compress the bags well.

Steep and Cheap had some granite gear uberlight DCF/event roll top sacks on clearance a while back and that's what I use. The 18L version is plenty big for an alpinlite or versalite and weigh 0.74 ounce. I'm not sure they even make them anymore but there are plenty of roll top options out there in sil, event, and dyneema.

At less than an ounce it is worth it even if you're diligent about keeping your pack dry. Especially if you are ever on extended trips in wet climates or conditions. A lot of times your bag wont be in your pack.

Thanks, they look nice. For ~double the weight, it looks like they make a compression option.

eVent Sil Compression Drysack | Waterproof Stuff Sacks | Granite Gear

Phaseolus

WKR
I sure wouldn’t put one of my expensive high loft bags in one of those crushers. It might work fine on a Wiggy’s bag where you have nothing to lose.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
A nyloflume bag would keep everything dry, and save you many ounces. They are commonly used as pack liners, and are tougher than they look.

Vandy321

WKR
4beb57c33a18464ce5d66ffe2cb7e175.jpg

About as small as I can get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but this is the Versalite in a small (10L) event?

The pics of that bag stuffed online make it look pretty big...if this is a small, I think I'm sold on the Versalite for my one and only bag.

Mi_fiveo

WKR
It’s an Alpinlite long in the small stuff sack. Can’t beat how small it compresses down and how warm it is.

Vandy321

WKR
It’s an Alpinlite long in the small stuff sack. Can’t beat how small it compresses down and how warm it is.

Thanks, if that's a 6ft, their site says the Versalite has the same stuffed dimensions (8x15" in their sack) so assuming it should stuff in the small e-vent also. Need the extra warmth of the Versalite to get me into Nov.

MtGoat

FNG
The nice thing about the E-vent is that is passes air out easily where most of the sil-nylon do not.
I use the water proof e-vent then remove the bag as soon as possible and leave it out until moving again.
I use one for my Kuiu down jacket to make it as small as possible but have it with me to use when glassing (or if something happens and I am stopped for awhile when it is cold out).

Pat