Stake Loop Tension Extension

The trucker’s hitch gives mechanical advantage when you tighten (so you can tighten more) and holds better. Whether the extra oomph is necessary for this application, I don’t know.

The prussic idea is interesting. It seems like that would provide better hold than the taught-line, but still lack mechanical advantage when to get it tighter. However, it offers another advantage in that you don’t have to tie it every time.

Shawn, I assume you aren’t having any problems getting it tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I set mine up during the hurricane this year. Although I didn't video it and have no proof it did hold and i really don't have any problems tightening. I've been on a spec ops usar team with the fire dept for the past 22 years now and we do a lot with ropes.

Honestly how much tension do you need to tighten up the tent (not sure haven't put it on a dynamometer to see) My worry is that it could be too taut and it rip or the stitching tear. I'm able to tension my prussic loops tighter than I want too fairly easy. I always loosen or back them off a little so there's not an issue with tearing or ripping. Now of course if you wanted to get really technical you could make a second prussic loop and use it as a triple wrapped prussic to put the tension on the second loop as opposed to the first. This would also provide a mechanical advantage. I really don't think it's necessary though knowing that I can tension mine tight enough with bare hands. Also if your adding a second loop why not use a tensioner. The whole process is to keep it as simple as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you own a pyramid, this is well worth doing- not only helps with condensation issues, but gives you significantly more room inside as well

it still doesn’t prevent one from staking directly to the ground in extraordinary conditions if you want

I prefer the LineLoc 3’s over the smaller linelocs- sturdier guys and I find less slippage ymmv (obviously slight weight hit)

Rokwiia

WKR
I'm used to using knots but am going to give tensioners a whirl. Which is preferred and why:

1) The triangular line loc, or

2) The Lineloc 3, or

3) The metal, 2-hole adjusters from Liberty Mtn?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
no experience with the two hole ones, but the difference between the two linlocs is the triangular ones are designed for smaller line; in my experience they are fine for ul tarps and the like where you are shaving grams- for shelters that could potentially see severe weather I prefer the 3's with slightly heavier line; also I find the 3's to slip less

Rokwiia

WKR
e96e22e293a1924ccfe673b9e654d3e8.jpg
8a4780d1764c484aa4fbbb4d28ecd8d4.jpg
Linelocs are definitely the way to go! Available to adjust the height in a snap....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The setup in the top picture is how I plan to rig my SO tipi. I'll probably order 3mm Lawson Glowire and Lineloc3s. G5Archer did an excellent job above.

When affixing the tent loop to the Lineloc3, I can't see any reason for there to be much distance between them when finished. Any distance needed will be accomplished between the Lineloc3 and the stake.

Is that correct?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
when you make the loop for your lineloc- you can only get it so short; whatever the length of the loop, is length you won't need for the line to the stake

Sgrog

Lil-Rokslider
In the first pic above (the close-up of the Lineloc) why are there two knots down by the stake?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
that I don't know, unless he's doubling on stakes????? only one loop is needed