Stake Loop Tension Extension

Could someone please show or explain to me how to put a stake loop tension extension on a floorless shelter to raise the bottom up to help prevent condensation? I've seen pics and read some other threads of people doing it, but the pics and explanations weren't real clear to me.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
There is a number of ways to do it certainly, but this is how I did likely not the best I'm sure but its worked for years.

I use Kelty Trip tease (roughly 12-18" worth per stake location) and tie on a lineloc tensioner at each location with a boy scout status double granny knot ;)

The line loc just allows you to tension the shelter if the sil nylon expands like it does when wet and such. the Line Loc when all the way tight takes for example the 18" of trip tease tied on and doubles it so its only 9" which seems to be low enough when pulled out to leave a 2-4" gap. Remember you can still always bypass the guy lines and use the original stake loop still if you desire due to high winds.

Here is the LineLocs we use:

Here is it setup in 3 different campsites last year on a 60 mile thru hike:

You can buy the guyline cordage and LineLocs here:
ZPacks.com Ultralight Backpacking Gear - Z-line Spectra Cord

Clarktar

WKR
I run the same setup as Big L, sans the double granny

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
C
Finally got my Cimarron in the other day. I used guyline hitches instead of the lineloc tensioners, but other than that, I sat it up just the way you guys suggested and it worked great. Thanks for the input!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I prefer Liberty Mountain Guyline Adjusters.

I recently just swapped all my tensioners back to LineLocs from Liberty Mountain Guylines because the adjusters would always slide to the end of the guy line when stuffing away which made it much easier for them to get all tangled so I'd spend the first 2 minutes or so untangling guylines prior to staking the shelter out. Maybe its cause I was running Kelty trip tease and the holes accept much larger diameter guyline? I don't know, but if you'd like a couple dozen more of those Liberty Mountains PM me and I will send them your way man.

Thanks for sharing Luke I appreciate it bud. I now have an idea in my head to do this with the tools in my shop and cordage. the only thing I would change in your setup is switch to a figure eight stopper knot instead of an overhand knot; but it doesnt matter we are not rappelling over the side (sorry 21 years of USAR does that to me)

Thanks

I recently just swapped all my tensioners back to LineLocs from Liberty Mountain Guylines because the adjusters would always slide to the end of the guy line when stuffing away which made it much easier for them to get all tangled so I'd spend the first 2 minutes or so untangling guylines prior to staking the shelter out. Maybe its cause I was running Kelty trip tease and the holes accept much larger diameter guyline? I don't know, but if you'd like a couple dozen more of those Liberty Mountains PM me and I will send them your way man.

Thanks but I have more than I need. I wrap my guylines around my hand then tie an overhand knot to keep em from tangling.

Still seems like a PITA. I tried it that way but still more trouble than standard linelocs ;) I am lazy ;)

Yeah, those overhand knots are exhausting.

funny-gif-lazy-cat-stairs.gif

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Linelocks are the way to go with this mod. Did it on my Cimmeron. As posted above Zpack sells a linelock with some strap already connected so you can figure 8 it into your current tarp Loops. works wonderfully. Luke is the creator for all of this. he started a Line lock Revolution.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Linelocks are the way to go with this mod. Did it on my Cimmeron. As posted above Zpack sells a linelock with some strap already connected so you can figure 8 it into your current tarp Loops. works wonderfully. Luke is the creator for all of this. he started a Line lock Revolution.

I don't know about the creator, but just thought its worked with the SL-5 that came standard with this option. Wish these companies like Kifaru and Seek Outside would offer this standard like they did. Granted it would likely easily cost 2-3 times as much to have this option from the factory than if we are to do it ourselves. :)

colonel00

WKR
I don't know about the creator, but just thought its worked with the SL-5 that came standard with this option. Wish these companies like Kifaru and Seek Outside would offer this standard like they did. Granted it would likely easily cost 2-3 times as much to have this option from the factory than if we are to do it ourselves. :)
Funny story...I'll text you or maybe we'll talk in a couple weeks...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yeah, those overhand knots are exhausting.

funny-gif-lazy-cat-stairs.gif

Not so much that but why use a tensioner that requires you to have to gather up all your guy lines and tie them together when there are much better and even lighter options out there. And even then they still get somewhat tangled up. Of course if you don't actually use your shelters that often it isn't much of an issue I realize.