Nu-Way propane stoves? (Tent Stove)

Luked

WKR
any of you all use the Nu-Way Propane stoves in your big tents?
i have a 12x12 Cabelas Alkanak tent and am needing to get a stove for it.
we have used Propane stoves for a long time in other tents the family has but i hate to borrow one so want to get my own but wanted to see if any of you all use them and how well they work.

I have that has gotten used for my big arctic oven. It also got used it for about 6 weeks straight last year to heat a portable hard side camp. Zero issues. No fuss. Plenty of heat even at -3F but turns way way down (and can run on one burner) for warmer weather. Biggest drawback is the propane tank you have to lug around. Otherwise, all good.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes, I use one in my 10X10 Kodiak that I glued (Seam Mender) a stove jack in. I run an extended hose out the zipper to 20 lb tanks for base camp. I would suggest the dual burner models as they have individual controls. You can crank it up to get up to temp and then shut one off later or for sleeping. NuWay has an adapter to 3 inch pipe. Menards has aluminum and stainless single wall sections. (I drilled a cross hole on the stove neck to secure adapter with a cross wire as the neck is very short and can get bumped off)

Weekender

WKR
I just bought a nu-way 3500 for my 10x14 kodiak canvas which should be plenty. You might want to step up to the 4000 for your size tent. Just a warning during burn off spots of paint started to peel off. Not a huge deal to me but some people might not find that acceptable. I don't think buying the hose from nu-way is a good idea either it's only 5' long. Bought all my stove pipe from hardware store under $25. Think it will be a great addition, anything to keep camp easy and warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
yea we have used an old Warm Morning stove for quite some time that is my older brothers. but its his and i hate borrowing stuff and his can be a pain to get lit and i would rather jsut get my own. was just curious as to how the reliability of the Nu-Way is.
probably pick one up in a few weeks and give it a try

yhc

WKR
I have that has gotten used for my big arctic oven. It also got used it for about 6 weeks straight last year to heat a portable hard side camp. Zero issues. No fuss. Plenty of heat even at -3F but turns way way down (and can run on one burner) for warmer weather. Biggest drawback is the propane tank you have to lug around. Otherwise, all good.

Yellowknife,

Which model/size Nu-Way do you use in your Arctic Oven? Also is your arctic oven 10 or 12?

Regards,

Yellowknife,

Which model/size Nu-Way do you use in your Arctic Oven? Also is your arctic oven 10 or 12?

Regards,

My AO is an Arctika (about 13') and the Nu-Way I've used I believe is the 4000. The double burner style anyway. It's way more than enough heat for most normal camping.. One burner on low kept us comfortable when temps fell into the 20's. Easily kept up even at sub-zero with both burners. I'm sure it would eventually struggle in super deep cold, but any propane will have that limitation.

Most of it's use has been heating an 8 x 20 Atco trailer. Worked like a champ for that also. Bought it less than a year ago, and it's got about 50 days on it now.

Mjm316

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using one in my Arctic Oven AO10 for about 5yrs now. They work great! I typically turn it down as low as it will possibly go and it keeps the tent toasty warm all night during moose/caribou season. Mine is the small single burner. Way more than enough for my tent.

yhc

WKR
Thanks for the info Yellowknife and Mjm316.

Luked...hopefully I didn't hijack your thread.

Regards,

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
For everyone who has used the Nu-Way stove, what's the propane usage rate? Where I'll be moose hunting in 2019 is a treeless SuperCub ridge top, so the difference between one or two aluminum or fiberglass 20# propane bottles is significant.

Stid2677

WKR
I have used a Nu Way stove for over ten years, for spring bear and fall moose hunts. I pack a 20lb carbon fiber propane tank and have the single burner Nu Way. I have never ran out and I run it all night most nights. I can see the propane in the tank so it is easy to monitor fuel level. I use it in an AO 10, which is very insulated and vented. These tents have a snorkel venting system that has two vent one lower and one upper. Most trips are 10 to 14 days long.

V4xnGRjh.jpg

pvyARKth.jpg

hTsvG5kh.jpg

For everyone who has used the Nu-Way stove, what's the propane usage rate? Where I'll be moose hunting in 2019 is a treeless SuperCub ridge top, so the difference between one or two aluminum or fiberglass 20# propane bottles is significant.

I bring a 20 lb bottle for a week of moose hunting with an AO. Run it at night only, and it will last the trip with room to spare. In the fall, I never go higher than 1/2 throttle on one burner.

Side note though.... If you are expecting to easily find the lighter aluminum or fiberglass bottles on the shelf in Alaska, you might have a tough time. Not to say it's impossible, but our options are a lot more limited here. I can't even find the smaller 10 or 11lb bottles locally.

Tried something different and took the AO/Nu-Way sheep hunting this year. Worked good when things got real wet.

4aeRncK.jpg

hqJuZfh.jpg

All those years I've been roughing it in tiny pup tents on these mountain hunts.... turns out I've been doing it all wrong!

Last edited:

bairdi

FNG
In regards to the the Nu Way stove, they are great and have been essentially bomb proof for me. The dual burner heats a 10x10 Arctic Oven very nicely for winter camping. We generally figure that a 20 lb propane bottle will last for 3 nights when temps are getting down to 20 below zero. THat is assuming that we are not spending all day in the tent too (usually either out checking traps or ice fishing). When winter camping, we do keep the stove in a padded wood box on the back of the snogo vs having bounced around in the tow behind sled. The only flaws with them is that the burner control knobs tend to eventually get lost. Stove is still operational, its just a little harder to adjust. I have tried the dual burner Nu Way in a 12x18 Arctic Oven as well. Late fall, with night temps getting down into the high 20's. It just didn't quite make enough BTUs to really get the tent warm and comfy. It was definitely warm in the tent but had to run it on high to get wet gear dried out and people warmed up and it did take a while.

I have used a Nu Way stove for over ten years, for spring bear and fall moose hunts. I pack a 20lb carbon fiber propane tank and have the single burner Nu Way. I have never ran out and I run it all night most nights. I can see the propane in the tank so it is easy to monitor fuel level. I use it in an AO 10, which is very insulated and vented. These tents have a snorkel venting system that has two vent one lower and one upper. Most trips are 10 to 14 days long.

V4xnGRjh.jpg

pvyARKth.jpg

hTsvG5kh.jpg

Stid, where in town are you able to get the Fiberglass/Carbon Fiber tanks filled? Everywhere I've gone has refused to fill them because of some sort of liability issue. I have one that I think it Fiberglass that I purchased from Alaska Raft and Kayak about 6 years ago that now sits un-used because its almost impossible to get filled.

I bring a 20 lb bottle for a week of moose hunting with an AO. Run it at night only, and it will last the trip with room to spare. In the fall, I never go higher than 1/2 throttle on one burner.

Side note though.... If you are expecting to easily find the lighter aluminum or fiberglass bottles on the shelf in Alaska, you might have a tough time. Not to say it's impossible, but our options are a lot more limited here. I can't even find the smaller 10 or 11lb bottles locally.

Tried something different and took the AO/Nu-Way sheep hunting this year. Worked good when things got real wet.

4aeRncK.jpg

hqJuZfh.jpg

All those years I've been roughing it in tiny pup tents on these mountain hunts.... turns out I've been doing it all wrong!

YK, I have found the steel 5 and 10 lb bottles locally at Crowley and Amerigas in the past couple of years.

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
bairdi, thanks for the info. The 16-man Kifaru tipi is about 22-23' in diameter and thinner-skinned than the AO. It's still hard to compare the 12X18 AO to the 16-man tipi and draw conclusions about whether or not the Nu-Way would be adequate to heat it. The good thing about the tipi is that the stove is in the middle and the stove pipe stays inside for quite a ways. The downside is that it isn't nearly as well insulated as the AO.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with it.

John

any of you all use the Nu-Way Propane stoves in your big tents?
i have a 12x12 Cabelas Alkanak tent and am needing to get a stove for it.
we have used Propane stoves for a long time in other tents the family has but i hate to borrow one so want to get my own but wanted to see if any of you all use them and how well they work.

I was also considering getting a Nu-Way for a traditional 12x14 wall tent I bought this year.

I ended up going with a regular wood stove. Its one less thing to lug around(no propane tank needed) and it seemed like most people were using them in AO style tents, which are insulated. It seems like most of the heat is gonna go up and out the pipe.

A wood stove will literally run you out of the tent. My first night using it, it was turkey season so the temps were low 20s-ish at night and wet. I didn't have it damped down enough and at the furthest point from the stove we were COOKING. It kept us warm and toasty, and to be honest its not as hard to feed/maintain as I thought it would be... which was why I was leaning toward the Nu-Way.

For the nights, I ended up buying north idaho energy logs. They're only 1.50 or so each - you get a good fire going, throw two or three in, wait a bit and damp it WAY down and your fire will burn all night. In the event you run out of logs, you can always use wood. You don't have that option with a propane stove.