Henry Shires Tarprent Notch LI review by Tony Trietch

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Also wanted to mention, a storm blew in the afternoon I made that video and I ended up in the tent from 3:00 pm to the next morning.
Not as spacious as I’d like but for an super ultra light shelter, it’s rock solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Tony, can you get your boots, pack and gear inside the shelter with you? Is there room?

I’ve got an Ibex hunt in NM planned and will need to have everything tucked inside my shelter because of the many snakes, spiders, and scorpions that will surely try to get me while I sleep. Can’t afford to wake up to biting and stinging things in gear left outside the shelter.

Thanks, Bill

Congrats on the Tag, that's a hunt I plan to do one day.

The inside of the tent is not overly spacious, it's built to save weight. My boots stayed outside but my bag came in everynight. I use the x-small thermarest pad that is only 48" long. I then put the pack under my legs to keep them off the cold ground. There is not a lot of extra room for the pack or gear inside if it isn't under my legs.

Last edited:
Congrats on the Tag, that's a hunt I planto do one day.

The inside of the tent is not overly spacious, it's built to save weight. My boots stayed outside but my bag came in everynight. I use the x-small thermarest pad that is only 48" long. I then put the pack under my legs to keep them off the cold ground. There is not a lot of extra room for the pack or gear inside if it isn't under my legs.

Thanks for the update brother! Appreciate the helpful info.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Well I’m back from my hiatus and wanted to report on how the tent did for me.
I used it in NV and Colorado from first week of August until the end of September.
The noise of the material was never a problem and I think it actually got more quiet as time went on.
It’s tougher than I expected, I only had one small puncture and it was due to me setting it up in 60mph winds @13k elevation. The wind took it out of my hand during set up and one hiking pole jabbed through it near the peak. That hole never got bigger and will be easily repaired with Dyneema tape from Tarptent.
The magnets worked better than I expected as well once I realized that how you pitch it makes a difference.
It vented great and I only got condensation during a couple day long storms when there wasn’t much for wind.
If you don’t like bright light while trying to sleep, Dyneema tents might not be for you. I could read a book at midnight with the amount of moon light that came through during a full moon.
I enjoyed it.
All zippers and pulls held up in typical Henry Shires fashion. Quality.
This isn’t a large floor space tent so don’t expect lots of room to bring gear in. It’s made to be ultra light and it meets that. It will be ready for my next warm weather trip and I’d gladly use it again.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
50cbacc396407581b3d366dfd719404d.jpg

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
New release form Tarptent! I just got an email from Erica yesterday regarding a shelter we spoke about last fall.
I had mentioned that I had loved my Protrail and how light it might be if it were made of Dyneema similarly to my Notch Li. She said they were already working on a super light single wall design with Dyneema, this is it.

Aeon Li - Tarptent

sneaky

"DADDY"
Crazy how light that is with that floor space. That's got spring bear written all over it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk