Testing: Stone Glacier Skyscraper 2P tent

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Got out last week for the deer opener. Ran into some pretty heavy snow.

The flurries started coming down right as I got to my predestined place to set up.....and it came down for the next day and a half.

Really wet and heavy snow....outside temps were fairly consistent. Daytime 30-31 and 25-28 at night. Took readings inside tent, with no ventilation the temps in the tent were about 15 degrees higher. Consistent readings day and night were above 40-45.

In my hurry to set up in snow, I failed to put out guy lines and properly stake the fly. The tent still shedded the snow fairly good. However, the slack in the fly allowed some buildup. This pushed the fly up against the inner tent (In particular, around head and feet) and created extra condensation. In order to control, I was having to really make sure to be diligent on ventilation.

Here is shot midway through first day. After, I fixed setup.....

049f5d3c0819d4eeb64bda53b824d25b.jpg

Here is some shots of the worst of the condensation build up after the 4th night.

666fa74e45f217d5b85386b3d240ad87.jpg

f56c0b1e72b57821fe832dff9057393b.jpg

7b820a64cec2f401bce3bd43dbe5deb8.jpg

The fifth day brought some plus 40+ daytime temps. It was a full on rainstorm over the tent with the addition of large swathes of the snow falling out of trees at a pretty good clip. Was able to keep in tent modestly dry keeping fly half way in tact during portions of take down.

23f01e6314395febb0a61f55de76aa26.jpg

Nonetheless, it got wet. Since I had 5 miles to truck and multiple trips in front of me I elected to lay tent out while I started pack-out. In direct sun, about 3 hours, 45-50 temps the tent was completely dry.

Found myself at the halfway point if pack-out on Day 6. It was the coldest night for sure. Left both doors slightly unzipped and had less condensation than prior nights, but temps in tent were considerably colder.

aede8dd582c38cc81c05dd2ec3c29484.jpg

Not a bad view!

My conclusion:
1: For size to weight to cost this is incredible value. However, I was limited on spots to put the tent and the ended up settling for a terrible place.
2: Condensation is gonna happen. Plenty of options to help control. Just be mindful of it.
3: I did about everything I could to make this setup not work through my mistakes. This tent provided reasonable accommodations and kept me going for 5 days in poor conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Jlhois looks like you were successful too!

On your point about having to set up in a bad spot, are you referring to the size of the tent footprint as causing that choice?

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Jlhois looks like you were successful too!

On your point about having to set up in a bad spot, are you referring to the size of the tent footprint as causing that choice?

That is correct. Size of footprint limited me. I’m sure I could have found a better spot, but with snow starting I was scrambling to find a spot that was big enough.

This can mostly be blamed on lack of scouting. This was my first trip to area. After a couple days I found better spots that would have been more suitable.

For me, I would rather have the increased footprint and take the extra time to locate spot for extended hunts.

Does anyone know what is different between this tent and the original slingfin cross bow? Besides color and logo? It doesnt really make a difference, I am just wondering.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I don’t think anything is different, quoted specs are exactly the same. I think the fabrics are as well.

One thing to note is the slingfin webtruss is not the only pole sleeve tensioning system out there - hilleberg uses that same concept (pole tensioning) to support a lot of their structures. I’m not sure what other manufacturers use it, but it’s one hell of a nice feature. After having it, I wouldn’t buy a pole supported tent without it.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Excellent feedback from everyone on this thread. Rokslide members always amaze me on how much they punish their gear and this thread is a good example of it. I've also been putting the Skyscraper through it's paces all year and my review is now in the final edits before I turn it in for posting. This thread will be updated when it is posted so stay subscribed for the discussion.

-Josh

Firebug93

FNG
Do you think the 20D and 15D is too thin for a 4 season tent? Compared to the 30D and 40D of the storm star.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Do you think the 20D and 15D is too thin for a 4 season tent? Compared to the 30D and 40D of the storm star.

Not sure but I did several weeks of testing in fourth season conditions in the bag review in the SG skyscraper. I believe it was almost three weeks before I took it down. Multiple winter storms. Not all Those pics are in the bag review, but you can get the idea. https://www.rokslide.com/stone-glacier-chilkoot-15-sleeping-bag-review/

what I like is I can use a lightweight tent in the fall and know that I can get in the conditions like this with heavy snow and still be OK. But I can’t quite endorse climbing Denali with it.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Looks like SG has some updates to this tent:

Bigger doors (needed)
Kickstands on top of rain fly for vent.
Cinching vent on body and fly

I’m not sure where the weight savings is (body fabric weight?) but that’s always nice.

It’s nice to see the design evolve to address things pointed out as possible improvements to an already good starting point!

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like SG has some updates to this tent:

Bigger doors (needed)
Kickstands on top of rain fly for vent.
Cinching vent on body and fly

I’m not sure where the weight savings is (body fabric weight?) but that’s always nice.

It’s nice to see the design evolve to address things pointed out as possible improvements to an already good starting point!

Right on! Still wondering how you set it up on the slopes when its 1*C and sh!tt!ng rain all over. Does that inner fly keep the interior dry or do you crawl into a damp shelter once it's set up?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Right on! Still wondering how you set it up on the slopes when its 1*C and sh!tt!ng rain all over. Does that inner fly keep the interior dry or do you crawl into a damp shelter once it's set up?

Oh I hear you - that white ripstop inner certainly buys you a little more wiggle room for beading water compared with straight mesh, but nothing I would depend on in a storm.

Here’s how Slingfin (SG partners with them on their shelters) says to do it.

Now having done that as they describe, I would call it a bit fussy, compared to a hilleberg tunnel. But it is actually possible, which is an upgrade in my book compared to the normal exterior fly tent. But you have to really know the system/tent to do it well.

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Oh I hear you - that white ripstop inner certainly buys you a little more wiggle room for beading water compared with straight mesh, but nothing I would depend on in a storm.

Here’s how Slingfin (SG partners with them on their shelters) says to do it.

Now having done that as they describe, I would call it a bit fussy, compared to a hilleberg tunnel. But it is actually possible, which is an upgrade in my book compared to the normal exterior fly tent. But you have to really know the system/tent to do it well.

Right on, I was leary on it but glad it can be done. It may not set up like a hilleberg but if it sheds a couple pounds over my nallo 2... Could be worth checking out. Thanks for the reply.