Light framless packs???

JP100

WKR
Hi Guys
I am looking to try and get my weight down for the spring/summer(its winter here now) and I think(wishful thinking) I can get things around 10-12kg(around 25lbs) for a weekender trip/3 days(with a 95mm Spotter!)

I am looking at busing the Kuiu Ultra 3000 which I already have and I know the pros and cons of the system as I have used it for a while and had failures, so know the weaknesses.

What do people think of super light frame-less style bags? I think I will cut even more weight this way for sure, but I obviously suck with a heavier load.
I think If I am around 20-25lbs in a frameless type pack I should be ok?

Anyone used one for scouting type trips

ljalberta

WKR
I've used frameless before. I'm not a fan even at 20lbs. For scouting with lightweight I use a light Osprey pack. Mine is 2.3 lbs, has a frame and is 44L capacity.

LaHunter

WKR
The Kuiu Ultra 3000 is already pretty light. How much wt could you realistically cut with a frameless pack? And at what cost of functionality?

I have a MR Scapegoat 35, which has internal carbon fiber stays. I use this as a daypack whitetail hunting, and I use it for training leading up to my western hunts. Up to 30 lbs, it has performed surprising very well, better than I expected. I have not had any more wt than that it in. The belt on this pack is surprisingly solid and stays locked in place during training sessions. That being said, it probably weighs pretty close to the ultra 3000.

Broknhorn

FNG
Look at Stone Glacier. They are known for being ultralight weight yet super stout. They're pricey but if you search some threads you'll see that they're very highly regarded and all of their packs will fit on all current and past frames (something that can't be said for Kuiu. Their setup is completely modular meaning you can use a 1,000c.i. bag or switch it up and use a 3,000c.i. either way the load shelf is the real game-changer. Anyway just my humble 2 cents. Best of luck.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

tater

WKR
I have a Hill People Gear Umlindi with a Kifaru duplex belt on it (the belt is necessary for 15lbs and above). The Umlindi has a light frame sheet with a single aluminum stay in it, so i while not truly frameless it is definitely not a true framed pack.

Great pack up to 30lbs, and it easily does a two day kit plus big spotter (i run a Leica 82). I have used it as carry on luggage, an edc bag, fishing pack, as well as on a mountain bike and motorcycle.
Excellent build quality, and the HPG harness is really comfortable. (There is no way in hell would i haul more than 30lbs it as is-but i hauled my boned out whitetail buck last year in the bag attached to a Kifaru frame).

Downside is it is pricey for a frameless bag, but nothing is perfect.

mtnkid85

WKR
My lightweight pack is a older Granite Gear Vapor Trail. It has a very minimal frame design that works well under ~30lbs but is absolute misery over 35ish lbs. Id always heard to make your pack the last place to reduce weight.
So if your at 20-25lbs with a 95mm spotter, which that has to be pushing ~8-9lbs by itself, then you obviously have already reduced weight everywhere else you can and the pack is the last logical step.

Rokwiia

WKR
I have an older ZPacks Blast which weighs 8.6oz. It gets old carrying 20lbs in it for a period of time. If the OP is looking at 20-25lbs, I'd consider the Zpacks Arc Blast. It weighs 1lb 5oz, has their Arc frame, a 55L (42L main bag) capacity that will carry 35lbs so it gives you some leeway.

Ultralight External Frame Backpack | Zpacks | Lightweight External Frame Backpack

[video=youtube;8ClxYp8iDMU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ClxYp8iDMU[/video]

Kifaru Ultralight - KU3700. Admittedly this is the only ultralight pack I have experience with, but it will carry much more than 25lbs comfortably. It weighs 2.5lbs. Unfortunately your only option is to pick one up used as Kifaru no longer makes them. Since it is an 'internal frame' it is susceptible to barreling if you don't watch how you load it. Not that it's difficult to avoid.

Nick-D

FNG
I do 3 day bush hunts, hunting all day then making camp where I stop. Use a huntech 40l frameless. Usually my pack is about 5 kg. Even that weight gets uncomfortable on the shoulders. Defo go some sort of frame.

P Carter

WKR
I have the Sierra designs flex capacitor and it’s worked very well. 2.5 pounds. Carries 25 pounds very nicely, up to 70 or so pretty comfortably. $199 price tag is nice also. Great day pack that can handle meat hauls also. It a dedicated weight hauler but a good hybrid type.

Randle

WKR
I am running a nimrod pack system and is great up to 25 lbs. They have several bags all based on the suspension system so you can choose how big of pack you want . Very comfortable and durable.

I've got an obsolete Kifaru 5200 Ultralight...2-3/4#s including wooden stays, without extra pockets, 3-1/2#s with all the pockets. I have back pack sheep hunted up to 14 days with it, and it wasn't very comfortable going in with 60#s. It is decent for 30#s, and goes down hill as the load goes up. After packing out a Stone ram, I bought a Reckoning (have a Longhunter too, from 18 years ago). Good luck with your quest.

Frameless packs are great for light loads, but if you actually kill something, they are going to be terrible for hauling meat. Meat is heavy.
I carry frameless packs all the time for climbing. I would never consider using one for hunting. (Scouting yes, hunting no.)

A Seek Outside Brooks or Saker weighs under 4 pounds, compresses to the size of a daypack, and has enough structure to carry a heavy meat load.

OP
JP100

JP100

WKR
Thanks for the input guys, I think for what I am doing I can get by with a frameless bag.
I have packed out meat in pikau style packs before, and its not as bad as people make out. you dont die with out a frame haha.

would like to try the seek outside options, but dont have the cash to spend right now on a new pack

A Kifaru Bikini frame with a silnylon bag is only going to weigh a little over 2lbs. What weight are you trying to achieve for the pack?

Don't know if a CF hybrid is along the lines of what your looking for, but if so, another option to look at is Hyperlite Mountain Gear. I don't have any personal experience with the CF packs but HMG makes several different sizes and they are very highly thought of in the UL backpacking world.
Ultralight Backpacks