Delete

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I would take 100ft min of cordage, if 550 is to heavy switch to a smaller cord.

Add a folding knife or fixed blade for general use, keep the replaceable blade for meat.

In a thick forest where a long shot is 50 yards, I would take a bigger caliber rifle. IMO that 6.5 at that range is far from ideal. Tracking in the rain thru a swamp, undergrowth, etc sucks. At those ranges I would take a 12 gauge slug over a long range caliber.

Also if you plan on living in your slicks and only going back to the truck every couple of days, I would have almost a complete backup set of rain gear and necessary items ready to go at the truck

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
1. You have the wrong brand of pack! Just kidding!

I agree with previous: take more cordage with you. I'm probably more around 150' which is overkill, but makes me feel better as I've run out of cordage before.

For your emergency kit I would recommend adding a couple of things in case you get stuck out overnight away from camp. Even though you're on the coast I would add some good firestarer to your kit, and one of those SOL emergency bivvies. I would also recommend a backup headlamp and/or a backup flashlight. A bore-snake is good insurance for your rifle as well.

That's all that I see...good luck!

mtnhmr

FNG
Re: Kitchen

Pot/Cup?

I would drop the MSR and obtain a Sidewinder that's a pretty niche item/set for little gain though.

Nice selection of gear/camp/rifle; looks solid.

Mike7

WKR
Here are a couple of things to consider.

If you are going off trail through wet brush, the pack cover becomes pretty worthless. Consider a dry bag inside of your pack instead.

Rain pants don't sometimes fair well busting brush either and can't be vented while hiking like a jacket. I like to wear gaiters instead under my softshell pant legs and over my boots/socks. I then put light rain pants on just when I stop and sit if needed to keep warm and dry the thigh of my pants some. With gaiters used in this fashion sealed to bare skin above the top of your socks, waxed leather boots will stay dry for days. Maybe leave some leather wax and a boot drier back at the rig, and then reapply wax 1/2 way through the trip. (I have not always had good luck with silicone treated synthetic leather or synthetic boots with gortex liners for keeping my feet dry during prolonged wet weather trips.)

You might want a section of something like the ultralight Tyvek (e.g. the 1443 Kite stuff) to put on the ground when you roll out of your hammock, so you have somewhere clean and dry to stand while getting dressed?

bsnedeker

WKR
I was completely kidding about the pack, I think you'll love it for running around in all day. It might not be the most comfortable if you have to pack out an animal, but who cares about that after getting success in the field?

Went through the updated list...I would still recommend you add an emergency bivvy and some kind of firestarter like trioxane. Even if you are close to the truck you could end up getting stuck out overnight, and those two things are cheap/lightweight insurance in case you do. I've used trioxane to start a fire with wet tinder during a downpour, stuff works great! Emergency blankets and/or a sheet of tyvek will not keep you even a little bit warm at night, trust me on this one, I know! A SOL bivvy will do much better.

Are you carrying a lighter in your pocket at all? I noticed you have a mini Bic in your possibles pouch, but didn't see another one. I carry one in my pocket all day for lighting my stove so I don't have to dig into my possibles bag every time I need to cook.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
Looks pretty good to me. I'm guessing the Kershaw whirlwind is a folding knife so you have a Havalon and sturdier blade. You have a lighter and matches. I'd second the recommendation for a Firestarter like trioxane or Vaseline coated cotton balls. I'd say it looks pretty darn good through.

I have a Petzl E-lite+ and extra 2032 batteries that fit both it and my wind meter as my back-up light source.

Mike7

WKR
For the cordage, the 2.2mm orange 100% dyneema on Bearpaw Wilderness Designs website works well for hanging things/meat, doesn't absorb water like paracord, weighs almost an ounce for 50ft if I remember right, and you should be able to get it right away.

My feet sweat like a SOB, so i'd bring more than 1 spare pair of socks for 3 days. Lord knows you shouldn't have to shoot more than 5 times but I'd still bring more ammo.

mcseal2

WKR
The Storm is a great light. I ran one as my primary light until I got the Revolt when I went to everything re-chargeable instead of batteries. I still use it some and always have it in the tote of back-up stuff in the truck with some extra lithium AAA batteries that fit it or the Revolt. I thought of another thing, if you are going out every few days that Anker is a lot of battery for what you are packing I'd think. I like the Dark Energy Poseidon at 9oz for my needs. I charge my I phone, Steripen, Revolt headlamp, and I phone with Onx maps with mine. Even in an area where my phone eats lots of juice I could do 3 days with it.

Not a big deal if the Anker works for you, but you asked for critique so I figured I'd throw it out. I have a big Anker 26800 with a couple of their 21 watt panels I'll use at a base camp, top off everything from. They make good stuff. I like that the DE pack has a cover for the outlets that flips over it so I feel better about using it in my floorless shelters on sand bars and such. Until I need to plug something in it's sealed.

Dean6319

FNG
For your med kit I would add a a tourniquet. A CAT gen7 weighs 4 oz. You can make shift one out of many items in your kit but will you have the time and the mental capacity if you need one.
I would avoid the really cheap ones as they can fail. North American Rescue makes a quality one for $30-35 bucks.
I have one on my pack and one in my med kit.

sharalds

FNG
Thanks for sharing your gearlist. I am updating my list for the upcoming season if you wish to take a look for comparison. Your list is really detailed and I appreciate that (makes me realize I need to add something as simple as my elk call diaphragm!) . I see you don't have a boot weight listed yet. Add that in there when you can.

Take into serious consideration your clothing worn and clothing packed categories. Think in detail on how much of it you'll actually need and use - - especially if you're heading back to a truck somewhat often.

Anyway, if you wish to take a look this list is for high alpine hunting in Montana with weather predicted as pleasant. If in the days prior to the hunt the weather turns to snow then the list will see an addition of 10 oz. of clothing and 10 oz. of sleeping bag but not much else.

https://lighterpack.com/r/7hv58r

sharalds

FNG
Totally different climates I think to where we are hunting. North Wet Coast is a different animal in comparison to Montana. Different challenges.

Completely different animals (both figuratively and depending on what you're hunting, literally as well). I took a second look at your clothing choices and it doesn't seem you could lose a whole lot considering the need to have a down jacket and full rain gear pretty much at the ready at any time. I hope it's a great hunt!