Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightweight rifle parts

Iím going to have a lightish rifle put together. Looking for a little help on some of the parts. Itís going to be a long action 30 cal. Probably 300wm or 30 Nosler. Going with a Proof SL. Manners stock. TT trigger. Not sure on the action but I will be ordering it tomorrow.

For some of the small stuff Iím looking at the MBM TI beast brake. Any other brake out there I should take a look at?
    Bottom metal Iím just planning on aluminum bdl. Any suggestions for aluminum bottom metal?

I would appreciate any suggestions on keeping the weight down. Not looking for an ultralight rifle. But I do want it on the lighter side so I can use a heavier scope and still have a decent weight rifle. Thinking around the 6lb area for the bare rifle without scope and rings would be a nice place to start.

Regards, Branden

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the CA TI Slayer brake over the TI beast.

What stock?
    A man with an experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Manners EH2

Post Thanks / Like
    Just posted this in another thread as well. Hope this helps.

I just built a new rifle that I will be using for my pack hunts. I had an in between rifle that I would swap out to a carbon barrel for hunting but finally decided a dedicated lighter hunting rifle is what I wanted and I have been happy so far.

With no bipod(I shoot off a tripod) or muzzle attachment(I use a can so add 1lb roughly) my rifle came in at right under 10lbs. I could have shaved a little weight going with a BDC type scope but I prefer adjustable turrets and FFP. Also could have dropped a little on the bottom metal but I am just partial to the beefiness of badger. Mine is off a custom action but if you use a 700 it would be pretty much the same weight.

It is a 22" winmag and I am currently getting 3000fps with a 180gr berger elite hunter. The stock and scope I picked are where a big portion of the weight savings came in.

Specs on mine are:

Bighorn SR3 Long Action

22" Proof Research CF Sendero Barrel

Manners EH5A

March 3-24x44 scope(I think I got the objective size right, 44 or 42 maybe?)

Triggertech Special

Badger Hinged Bottom Metal

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

5. Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HonkeyMcGee88 View Post
    Just posted this in another thread as well. Hope this helps.

I just built a new rifle that I will be using for my pack hunts. I had an in between rifle that I would swap out to a carbon barrel for hunting but finally decided a dedicated lighter hunting rifle is what I wanted and I have been happy so far.

With no bipod(I shoot off a tripod) or muzzle attachment(I use a can so add 1lb roughly) my rifle came in at right under 10lbs. I could have shaved a little weight going with a BDC type scope but I prefer adjustable turrets and FFP. Also could have dropped a little on the bottom metal but I am just partial to the beefiness of badger. Mine is off a custom action but if you use a 700 it would be pretty much the same weight.

It is a 22" winmag and I am currently getting 3000fps with a 180gr berger elite hunter. The stock and scope I picked are where a big portion of the weight savings came in.

Specs on mine are:

Bighorn SR3 Long Action

22" Proof Research CF Sendero Barrel

Manners EH5A

March 3-24x44 scope(I think I got the objective size right, 44 or 42 maybe?)

Triggertech Special

Badger Hinged Bottom Metal

Nice rifle but I wouldnít consider it lightweight.
    Formerly known as Dotman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdhanses View Post
    Nice rifle but I wouldnít consider it lightweight.
    Light is a relative term. There are areas I wanted certain things so I got the lightest of those I could find.

If I cant comfortably shoot a rifle that is 2lbs lighter, that weight savings didnt do me any good.

Just for reference the scope and rings are a couple lbs so this rifle is probably 1.5-2lbs heavier than what the OP was looking for.

In comparison to a 20lb match rifle that I normally shoot its extremely light. Lightweight rifle parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HonkeyMcGee88 View Post
    Light is a relative term. There are areas I wanted certain things so I got the lightest of those I could find.

If I cant comfortably shoot a rifle that is 2lbs lighter, that weight savings didnt do me any good.

Just for reference the scope and rings are a couple lbs so this rifle is probably 1.5-2lbs heavier than what the OP was looking for.

In comparison to a 20lb match rifle that I normally shoot its extremely light. Lightweight rifle parts
    I have been considering a 22" 300wm build also, to be more handy with a suppressor on. I would shave at least 2lbs from your build by going to a Ti action and non adjustable stock. I figure WITH suppressor, ammo, optics and bipod I could end up around 10lbs.

If I was ordering parts today I would be going with the LPA Fuzion Ti.... Hawkins Precision aluminum bottom metal.

Hawkins Precision Rem 700 LA BDL Oberndorf Bottom Metal - CORE Shooting Solutions

The EH2 would be my stock choice as well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    I have been considering a 22" 300wm build also, to be more handy with a suppressor on. I would shave at least 2lbs from your build by going to a Ti action and non adjustable stock. I figure WITH suppressor, ammo, optics and bipod I could end up around 10lbs.

If I was ordering parts today I would be going with the LPA Fuzion Ti.... Hawkins Precision aluminum bottom metal.

Hawkins Precision Rem 700 LA BDL Oberndorf Bottom Metal - CORE Shooting Solutions

The EH2 would be my stock choice as well!
    I think you could do that easily!

The badger bottom metal I chose was about 8oz heavier than standard floor plates and the adjustable stock does add a bit of weight.

I have been pleasantly suprised with speeds I am getting currently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hawkins makes a great lightweight bottom metal worth considering, I like mine.

Also a wildcat composite stock could drop more weight then a McMillian stock with lightweight ultra fill or whatever they call it. Think my finished McMillian is 28oz but I bet a Wildcat could be finished off around 20oz with a flip flop butt pad.
    Formerly known as Dotman

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not trying to build an extreme lightweight. Just something in the 6lb range so I can be around 8.5ish with an X5.

Honkey those are nice looking guns but pretty heavy for what I'm trying to do.

tdhanses I looked at them and might use one of their stocks for an extreme ultralight I'm going to build. But I already ordered the Manners.

I looked at the Hawkins and they also have a set of rings I think I will go with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hawkins bottom metal "look" like rem just like their rings "look" like talley.... until you have both in your hands. The bottom metal is way superior and the rings are not even the same zip code. Hawkins by a mile.

13. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just did a lighter build. Or so I thought. I screwed myself with the barrel, went with a Remington standard sporter contour.

Borden Mountaineer (short action)
    22Ē 7-08
    McMillan CF Hunters Edge w/1Ē Decel pad
    BDL Aluminum bottom metal
    TT trigger (my first...friggin sweet, better than Jewel for hunting gun)
    Talley Lightweights
    Sightron MTAC 2-10

7# 12.5oz empty

I was shooting for mid - 6ís. Itís all in the barrel, should have done a pencil but I donít like that with my can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whatís the barrel weigh in at?
    Weight breakdown will be something like this:

Stock: 26 oz
    Brake 2 oz
    Ti LA: 20 oz
    Trigger: 2 oz
    Rings: 4.5 oz
    Bottom metal with box/spring/follower: 7 oz
    Action screw: 1 oz
    Barrel: ???

That puts you at 3.9 lbs without the barrel. Even a #3 steel barrel is listed at 3.3 lbs for a 26Ē barrel. Knock off 2 oz per 1Ē barrel length cuts it down to 45 oz or so. That puts you just under 7 lbs.

Not sure how much the Proof barrels weight but 6.5-6.75 lbs should be doable depending on the barrel weight. 6 lbs flat is a tough goal for a long action.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hells Canyon Armory
    Rokslide Sponsor & custom builder of fine shootin' iron and Carbon composite barrels.
    www.hellscanyonarmory.com
    www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
    [email protected]
    Instagram: @HcaMike
    Athlon Optics Dealer
    AG Composites Stock Dealer
    509-421-2966

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsCanyon View Post

Brake 2 oz

That puts you at 3.9 lbs without the barrel. Even a #3 steel barrel is listed at 3.3 lbs for a 26Ē barrel. Knock off 2 oz per 1Ē barrel length cuts it down to 45 oz or so. That puts you just under 7 lbs.

Not sure how much the Proof barrels weight but 6.5-6.75 lbs should be doable depending on the barrel weight. 6 lbs flat is a tough goal for a long action.

Mike

Yeah I think my SA came in at around 6lbs 8oz all in including rings. Only way I could see going sub 6lbs with it is using a Wildcat composite stock and really it isnít worth it.
    Formerly known as Dotman

Post Thanks / Like

Lightweight rifle parts

Iím right at 6# 8oz without the scope. I didnít weight the barrel separate but I will. Also tried a lighter 4.5-14 VX3, wasnít a heck of a lot of difference, couple oz.

This Borden is a little heavier than a Remington. Itís a cylinder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsCanyon View Post

Brake 2 oz

Mike

I agree 6 might be pushing it. A guy on here built a 28 nosler right at 6lbs. Proof, pierce ti, manners. If itís 6.5 plus another 30oz for the X5 Iím still at 8.5ish. Iíll weigh the barrel tomorrow if I have time. How much weight do you lose from threading and chambering it? A couple ounces?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtytough View Post
    I agree 6 might be pushing it. A guy on here built a 28 nosler right at 6lbs. Proof, pierce ti, manners. If itís 6.5 plus another 30oz for the X5 Iím still at 8.5ish. Iíll weigh the barrel tomorrow if I have time. How much weight do you lose from threading and chambering it? A couple ounces?
    I probably read over it but what chamber are you using? Typically chambering/threading will cut 2-3 oz out.

Hells Canyon Armory
    Rokslide Sponsor & custom builder of fine shootin' iron and Carbon composite barrels.
    [email protected]
    Athlon Optics Dealer
    509-421-2966

Post Thanks / Like
    Itís going to be either a 300wm or a 30 nosler. I like the Nosler case design better but dislike the lack of brass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtytough View Post
    Itís going to be either a 300wm or a 30 nosler. I like the Nosler case design better but dislike the lack of brass.
    Iíve only built 2 30 noslers but theyíve both been stupidly accurate, just like the 28ís. The winmags shoot fantastic as well, but I think the Nosler edges it out in inherent accuracy. You could always do a 30-28Nosler....

Iíd imagine youíll cut 2.2-2.5 oz off for chambering. If the barrel is a raw blank cut another 3 oz for the 1/2Ē that needs to be taken off the back of the blank.

Mike

Hells Canyon Armory
    [email protected]
    Athlon Optics Dealer
    509-421-2966

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike built this 300WM for me. LPA Razor TI, 26" bbl, brake, X5, manners EH1. Unloaded.

(That picture was a quick test fit with nothing fastened down)

23. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post