UL non stick skillet options

I'm planning on doing some fishing while on my backcountry hunt. It's an every other cast kind of spot and I suck at fishing! That and I'm taking extra flu flus for grouse. Maybe Kodiak pancake mix would be a good moral treat with some MTN Ops Magnum.

When I went scouting I took some tinfoil and wrapped the little trout up then put the packet right on the burner of my stove. It worked but then I had more trash to carry out. I saw MSR makes their flex skillet at 7oz and it's in my price range of 30 bucks or so.
Id prefer something that won't make a stuck on mess. I had to use a stainless steel pan in a hotel this spring, so greatfull for cast iron at home!

Thanks

Hey I use the MSR Skillet and I have had great luck with it. Just be careful with a pocket rocket style stove bc the skillet is fairly think and you can warp it if you heat it to much without any food in it. I have used mine for pancakes and cooking sliced up tenderloin in. I also usually put a little vegetable oil in the skillet when cooking. It has always cleaned up pretty nicely.

I went to walmart and got a 3 pack of non stick skillets for like 8-10 bucks on sale for just this reason. came in 3 sizes and the small one is about an 8 inch skillet, roughly the same size as all of the MSR or Rei brand skillets.
i wont feel bad about trashing this and because they are SUPER thin they are very light. I have actually taken the medium one in when i pack in the dragonfly to make pancakes with, works well! I don't have a weight on the small one, but you could also drill out the rivet for the handle and use one of the pot grabbers if you already carry one of those in.
might be worth poppin into your local wally world and checking out their cheap cookware.

Lawnboi

WKR
The msr is a nice piece. Iv got the smaller flex skillet or whatever it's called. Just get the bigger one.

Made a lot of weird stuff in it. Fish works okay, but takes some practice. Done backcountry pancakes, works good but pancakes can be messy. Definetly a luxury.

A couple teriyaki packets, and a few grouse, and some instant rice. Seared up in the skillet, the best.

It only works well on a stove with a wideish burner. Works fine with my dragonfly.

As long as you have water to wash up, the time and don't mind humping the weight you really could go nuts.

Sky1926

FNG
I got the MSR skillet..fits perfectly into my windburner..light and no complaints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a side note, I cut off about a 1x2" piece off a dish sponge and keep in my cook kit. It virtually ways nothing. You can put a little soap on it and clean whatever just like you would in the kitchen.

As a side note, I cut off about a 1x2" piece off a dish sponge and keep in my cook kit. It virtually ways nothing. You can put a little soap on it and clean whatever just like you would in the kitchen.
i do the same thing
i keep it in a little zip lock bag and put some soap and water in it before leaving for my trip.

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
As long as you have water to wash up, the time and don't mind humping the weight you really could go nuts.

Gomer here decided to hump in a 10-inch Lodge D.O. for a week's trip into Carson Iceberg one Summer with the family. Took my wife and daughter both to lift the pack high enough so I could get it on my shoulders. The uphills weren't bad, but the two-mile increasingly steep downhill into camp did me in! We ate well, but I learned MY lesson, I can tell you!

Tag_Soup

WKR
For trout I usually take some foil and do them straight in the fire. Head and gut the fish, add seasoned salt and some olive oil, then double wrap and straight into the coals. Incredibly moist and flaky fish with crispy fins/tails result when timed right and you don't have to pack in fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickstone

WKR
Are any of you guys using the toaks or snow peak pot combos with the lids that act as a skillet? I know they aren't non stick but it looks they might be an ok set up. I'm currently using a primus eta lite and sometimes take my msr skillet. It weighs right around 20 oz, and I don' like the msr skillet not being able to nest in the pot.

I can get the toaks 1350 or snow peak 1400 that weight between 6-8 oz, and then trying to find a 2 or 3 oz stove, and be able to nest it all together.

ohoopee

WKR
Are any of you guys using the toaks or snow peak pot combos with the lids that act as a skillet? I know they aren't non stick but it looks they might be an ok set up. I'm currently using a primus eta lite and sometimes take my msr skillet. It weighs right around 20 oz, and I don' like the msr skillet not being able to nest in the pot.

I can get the toaks 1350 or snow peak 1400 that weight between 6-8 oz, and then trying to find a 2 or 3 oz stove, and be able to nest it all together.

I used the snow peak skillet top on a trip couple of weeks ago. Had to cut fish in really small portions for a single serving. Also, very messy to clean afterwards. Had a stream nearby that helped with cleaning. I believe tinfoil would be better for most of my cooking applications.

Owenst7

WKR
I bought the cheapest nonstick skillet i could find at WalMart. Paid like $2.70 for an 8" skillet that's thick enough to fry an egg nicely on. Weighs 7 ounces once I unscrewed the handle with a Phillips.

Not UL, but it's just as light as the flex skillet and cooks a lot better on a burner that's already prone to hot spots.

They also carry an IMUSA skillet that's around 6" that I think would be around 5 ounces without the handle. I'm gonna pick one up next time I'm over there.

The one egg wonder is like 4 ounces before you remove the handle, but they're so small I think they'd be more of a novelty. I can do scrambled eggs just fine in the bottom of my shortest pot anyway.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I have a snow peak titanium pot with a lid that I use as a skillet. I think my pot is a 1L so the lid is tiny. I originally got it because it holds a little wood burning stove really well.

I like the lid a lot as a skillet. You can fit a butterflied grouse breast or a small trout cut into quarters. However, my favorite way to cook with this setup is to fill the pot with cleaned and beheaded/de-tailed trout however they will fit. I'll add a generous amount of olive oil and dehydrated parsely and garlic to the body cavity. When the trout has cooked enough that I can pull the bones out Tom and Jerry-cartoon-fish style, I will debone it and put the chunks in the lid, then use the skillet as a lid to brown them.

Cleanup has never been a problem. I carry a bit of a sponge as others have mentioned. I personally don't like nonstick pans because I'm afraid of breathing or ingesting dioxin and other things when the coating breaks down. I'm doubly paranoid about this in a backcountry situation where it's easy to overheat or overzealously scrub the pan. I like cooking on straight stainless or titanium with the philosophy that anything's nonstick if you pack in enough oil/butter/grease.

I still prefer foil for trout, but I use the above method if I'm not patient enough to make a coalbed or in an area where only stoves are allowed due to wildfire concerns. Carrying a bit of foil can also be handy because you can form it into an improvised lid to speed the boil of rice while you're busy using the actual lid as a skillet on some grouse meat.

Another vote for the cheap Walmart skillet. Mine has about six weeks of use cooking bacon, eggs, pancakes and trout. No problems, no complaints. Light weight and easy to clean

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Evernew Ti Non stick pan 16 4.23 oz 6.5 x 1.47 inch
Pan 18 4.87 oz 7.28 x 1.57 inch
Pan 20 5.47 oz 8.07 x 1.57 inch

R