Lightweight Gear List

edwardshc

FNG
Wanted different opinions on a gear list that I've been developing. My buddy and I are going on a guided horseback elk hunt in Montana Bob Marshall this October, but we are inspired by the multiple stories on this site to go on a DIY backpack hunt possibly next year. Trying to put together a list.

https://lighterpack.com/r/crm1cb

I own most of the items on the list except for the tent and backpack.

My background: Longtime lightweight backpacker (Kingdom of Bhutan, New York, Tennessee, New Mexico, WV, OH, CO, etc), and a longtime midwest whitetail hunter. Wanting to combine backpacking and hunting in the near future.

Thanks!

Ronb

WKR
I like your list a lot. But I think you’ve got way too many clothes. I would get rid of the guide jacket, the Chama, the gators and probably the multi tool. Consider the peloton 97 for over your Merino long sleeve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
Not to pimp myself out but I posted a video and a list on my website of my gear. I did a hike over memorial and my essentials for a hunt had at me at 30 pounds. That's not counting food water or camera gear as that can change with the trip duration and area you go into.

It's not hard to tell you are an experienced backpacker from that gear list. That is a dream gear list, even by rokslide standards, without a lot of room to trim. That being said, I'll do my best to critique.

Clothing:
I would ditch the guide jacket and trade the chama in for fleece like the sitka core heavyweight or kuiu peloton 200/240. I used to wear my chama as a mid-layer, but its warmth-to-weight ratio really sucks compared to fleece, so now it is a cold-weather base layer for me. Then if you need a shell, just put on your rain gear.

You could ditch the gaiters if you're really trying to trim, but on a rifle hunt later than September, they make the cut for me.

I noticed you didn't have a bottom insulating layer, which I would usually carry, be it leggings or puffy pants.

Gear:
Ditch the swiss army knife if you are already carrying the squirt.

Optics:
If you're hunting elk and don't need to evaluate for legality or trophy quality, you could consider leaving the spotter behind. Totally a personal preference, or you could at least just take one between the two of you.

FlyGuy

WKR
That's a good looking list! Love that format!

I used to carry deodorant, but I ditched that a few seasons ago. I didn't spend much time on it, but the clothing looked a bit heavy. You can dial this in during the days prior to your trip, and leave the extra sets in the car just in case.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

OP
E

edwardshc

FNG
Thanks everyone! I love the idea of ditching a lot of the clothing, guide jacket, gaiters (or replace with lighter sitka ones), Swiss army, and spotter. Great input about the warmth of the Charma. I have a sitka core heavyweight for duck hunting that I love. I have the Kuiu Peleton Zip offs as lower body insulating that I can add to list too. I have almost all the gear above except the tent / backpack. We'd love to do a weeklong trip, but realistically with work it'd be shorter 4-6 days.

I did a little 3 day / 30 mile trek around Black Elk Wilderness in South Dakota up to about 7300 ft to try out some of the gear at the end of May (A Backpacking Trip in the Black Hills of SD (Black Elk Wilderness)). We had rain the whole weekend that turned into hail/sleet/snow for a while, which is why I'm more aggressive with the warm clothing on the list (temp ranged from 15-75F) - it was a cold night before getting into the quilt. No campfires allowed in the Black Elk Wilderness.

I feel that I can do a ton more miles, be more mobile, and enjoy the trip way more with a lighter pack.

I've also considered going no stove / cookless method. If I dropped the items above and the stove I could loose another ~3 lbs. I'd have a 25 lbs base weight.

Anyone else actually run a 25 lbs base weight (all items without clothing worn and food/water consumables) including guns and optics?

How come no one else uses the Lighterpack.com site? It's super nice for comparing pack weights. I'm obviously a gram-weenie.

Any insight into the stone glacier pack? I'd love to buy one of the frames and do a custom dry bag on the back to save weight with my personal gear.

I'm going with a buddy from Minneapolis, so we can also split some of the camp gear - tent / kitchen stuff.

Thanks!

OP
E

edwardshc

FNG
My buddy from Minnesota can't get off work for very long, so realistically 4-6 days. He's definitely carrying the spotter though if we take it.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Any insight into the stone glacier pack? I'd love to buy one of the frames and do a custom dry bag on the back to save weight with my personal gear.

Based on your gear and weight philosophy I can’t see you going wrong with a Stone Glacier pack. I’d consider one of those Evo bags and let your back profile dictate what frame works better for you. The frame isn’t the best place to save weight.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I've also considered going no stove / cookless method. If I dropped the items above and the stove I could loose another ~3 lbs. I'd have a 25 lbs base weight.

Anyone else actually run a 25 lbs base weight (all items without clothing worn and food/water consumables) including guns and optics?

How come no one else uses the Lighterpack.com site? It's super nice for comparing pack weights. I'm obviously a gram-weenie.

I'm going with a buddy from Minneapolis, so we can also split some of the camp gear - tent / kitchen stuff.

Thanks!

Edwardshc - I've switched to hunting stoveless and it's awesome if you're an ounce counter. No more stove, utensil or fuel canister(s). Plus you don't have to carry as much water (for cooking) so you save weight there as well.

lighterpack.com seems like a great source to plug all your gear. Thanks for sharing. Depending on the hunt my base weight is right around 25 lbs as well. My downfall is I always seem to find myself in dry areas and I consume water like a cow so carrying 6-7 liters at a time is not unusually for me :rolleyes: That said, I noticed a lot of similar items between our pack lists.

The SG packs are good. I purchased one this spring (Evo 40/56). I haven't actually hunted with it yet but lots of training.

Best of luck this season!

Your list looks pretty good. I have never seen that website before. Looks easier and faster to work with then excel. I would agree with what everyone is saying with on the clothing. Scratch the soft shell and add a base layer bottom.

OP
E

edwardshc

FNG
Edwardshc - I've switched to hunting stoveless and it's awesome if you're an ounce counter. No more stove, utensil or fuel canister(s). Plus you don't have to carry as much water (for cooking) so you save weight there as well.

lighterpack.com seems like a great source to plug all your gear. Thanks for sharing. Depending on the hunt my base weight is right around 25 lbs as well. My downfall is I always seem to find myself in dry areas and I consume water like a cow so carrying 6-7 liters at a time is not unusually for me :rolleyes: That said, I noticed a lot of similar items between our pack lists.

The SG packs are good. I purchased one this spring (Evo 40/56). I haven't actually hunted with it yet but lots of training.

Joe - I found your website with your 2017 gear list and stoveless hunting article - very helpful! I've tried the Greenbelly Meals2GO, and they are delicious - almost like a rice crispy treat. I think you article was the reason I had mentioned going stoveless to begin with.

Lighterpack.com is nice because you can develop a gear inventory, and then drag and drop into multiple gear lists. Once you type your gear into the system, you never have to type it in again.

Thanks!

I got a set of the ExPed camp slippers last year, and they were heavenly to wear around camp after taking my boots off. If it is cold out, you might look at them instead of the flip flops. They come in around 5.5 oz for the pair, so that is a 1.5 oz savings for you.

Tag_Soup

WKR
Your list is great. Everyone will have personal preference, but you will be just fine with the items listed. That being said, I would make a few changes if I were the one going on the hunt (see, more personal preference? lol). Overall our lists are strikingly similar less brand of garment and pack choice.

Clothing: Drop the guide jacket like everyone has said. A lightweight fleece could do double duty where the jacket and heavyweight chama cross over. That being said I still spend a lot of my time with a Chama hoody instead of a fleece layer. I just like how quiet and sent free it is. I never take a soft shell in. Base, mid, puffy, rain is more than enough for top layer. For bottom layer I usually just roll with a 140 weight merino and prana zions. Kuiu attacks are great as well. Depending on how you are hunting, rain pants can be omitted. If I know I will be spending a significant time in thick under-brush or sitting glassing for long hours, I will bring rain pants, else they stay in the truck. I would keep the gaiters, I won't leave without mine.

Gear: I would drop the multi tool and the swiss army knife. I have never had need for either. I usually carry a real fixed blade knife in the field though. If you have to make fire, it can be invaluable. Tops P001 on the large end, esse izula on the small end. You would be well served with either. I would consider switching the gatoraide bottle for a cheap plastic disposable water bottle (the really thin ones from a multi-pack). They hold up surprisingly well and weigh almost nothing. I would carry extra batteries for the headlamp. I have the same one and it usually eats a set in 5 days if you are using it 30 min + a day.

Misc: Don't forget to add ammo weight - I never go with less than 10 rounds on a backcountry hunt...never needed more than 3. Maybe ditch the wallet in the truck and just carry your tags in a small waterproof sleeve. Also may consider adding bear spray in the Bob... A contractor bag can be nice for cooling meat/misc uses. I also carry about 3'x4' of polycro in my kill kit for laying down when doing meat prep. Don't forget TP.

Water: I have never spent time off trail in the Bob, but i believe there is ample fresh water. If that is the case, you should be OK with your water purification choice. If you need to use a less than ideal water source, the weight of a pump or sawyer mini could be a worthwhile creature comfort.

Pack: I would make sure you have a way to carry your rifle on your pack. I am not familiar with the SG Evo, but I believe they have a weapons carrier that would be handy.

Optics: Personally, I don't get a lot of utility out of a "micro" spotter - too small to scan with easily, poor eye box/relief, and not enough mag to really validate trophy quality. I would say either grab a 65mm with a wide angle eye piece or ditch the spotter entirely in favor of a quality lightweight doubler for the binos. Also, a field optics research bino adapter would save weight and work with the current threads on your binos. If you already have the bino stud installed for the outdoorsman adapter, disregard. I would add a phone scope adapter for pictures. I also add a digital camera for good quality photos, but that is totally personal preference and adds significant weight.

You are basically dialed in, just personal preference. Outside of losing the soft shell and multi-tool/swiss army knife, my advice is all preference based. Good luck on your hunt!

OP
E

edwardshc

FNG
I got a set of the ExPed camp slippers last year, and they were heavenly to wear around camp after taking my boots off. If it is cold out, you might look at them instead of the flip flops. They come in around 5.5 oz for the pair, so that is a 1.5 oz savings for you.

Wow! Those slippers look amazing! Definitely going on my "need to buy list." Only $38 too. I can wear them in the cabin at whitetail camp too. Thanks for the tip!

OP
E

edwardshc

FNG
Tag_Soup, Thanks for the pointers! I still need to dial in the list a little, and your suggestions are great. I love my prana zions, and the Costco UB tech pants (if you haven't tried them for $20). Tops P001 looks like an awesome knife (might be out of my price range till Christmas), and I've checked out the esse izula before. I take a gatorade bottle 50% of the time, but usually its a cheapo spring water bottle from our frig makes the pack. Will add extra AA lithium batteries. Still need ammo weight. Small tarp is a nice lightweight addition too. TP is usually Costco butt wipes. I have a steripen, Sawyer mini, and the new Katadyn BeFree, but I always seem to just use iodine or tablets. Definitely will check out the SG rifle carrier. I'll put the phone scope adaptor on the buy list!

Conceptual list making is great, but nothing beats actual experience on the trail from your (and everyone else's) experience. Thanks!

Wow! Those slippers look amazing! Definitely going on my "need to buy list." Only $38 too. I can wear them in the cabin at whitetail camp too. Thanks for the tip!

The soles are thin, no rock protection, but durable and grippy. The slippers are really warm on bare feet. I think I got mine last year on sale for about half of that price, because they were the ugly puke green color.

OP
E

edwardshc

FNG

Joe - I was looking at your stoveless food list. I was recently watching the new movie on the Journal of Mountain Hunting - "Toeing the Line" goat hunt (link below) and their camera man Steven Drake (he has a nice video blog on youtube) discussed how he didn't pack enough food for the mountains in the follow-up, but was happy the other guys had extra protein powder for their drinks to share with him. 24-30 grams of Protein and 124 calories makes a nice weight to calorie, but more importantly protein combination. I take my vacuum sealer and make little pouches and dump the protein powder into individual servings (don't vacuum just seal). Makes for an awesome boost on the trail. I just add it to my water in a little water bottle or gatorade bottle. At the top left corner of the picture below you can see my custom protein packet. You should consider adding Costco Whey Protein Powder to your list!

eSnd7AbsS5Sc9Wt6ls+14A_thumb_564a.jpg

Films Archives - Journal of Mountain Hunting

Last edited:

Tag_Soup

WKR
Joe - I was looking at your stoveless food list. I was recently watching the new movie on the Journal of Mountain Hunting - "Toeing the Line" goat hunt (link below) and their camera man Steven Drake (he has a nice video blog on youtube) discussed how he didn't pack enough food for the mountains in the follow-up, but was happy the other guys had extra protein powder for their drinks to share with him. 24-30 grams of Protein and 124 calories makes a nice weight to calorie, but more importantly protein combination. I take my vacuum sealer and make little pouches and dump the protein powder into individual servings (don't vacuum just seal). Makes for an awesome boost on the trail. I just add it to my water in a little water bottle or gatorade bottle. At the top left corner of the picture below you can see my custom protein packet. You should consider adding Costco Whey Protein Powder to your list!

View attachment 73713

Films Archives - Journal of Mountain Hunting

You can also consider adding Nestle "Nido" whole milk powder to your kit. Before I got on this keto kick, I would use it mixed with protein powder for an awesome mid day shake. I also put a scoop into a ziplock with some homemade granola/bobs red mill muesli mix for a great cold breakfast in a bag for the trail. Just add water and carry to your glassing spot, then eat with a spoon. Skim milk powder works OK, but is less calories per oz and doesn't taste as awesome.

Overall, a great list.

A lightweight foil windscreen may actually save you weight in your cook set because you will use less fuel. Those ultralight stoves are highly effected by wind.

Suggest earplugs to protect your hearing.

Suggest bear spray for Montana backcountry

Suggest no more than 6 rounds of ammunition. (It's heavy, and if you can't hit and kill an animal with 6 rounds, you may want to reconsider the shots you're taking.)

A Granite Peak tripod is sufficient for a lightweight spotter. Half the weight of the Sirui.

Suggest several bic lighters. Don't weigh much, and it sucks to not have a way to make fire.

Montana requires hunter orange for your hat and on your torso.

Don't know if your Leki poles have a compatible handle, but if they do, the Aergon Photo Adapter is a nearly weightless accessory that makes mounting your binos on your trekking pole for stability very quick and easy. Binos on the Leki pole, and spotter on a lightweight tripod is my go-to spotting set up.

Suggest a pole jack for the Duomid.

I am jealous of your Garmin Mini inReach. I have the regular model. Can't justify the cost of the mini upgrade.

Suggest a couple of lens wipes for your optics

Suggest a muzzle condom for your rifle

Suggest lightweight exam gloves in your kill kit.