Early Season sleeping bag and pad recomendations.

Planning an early season high country hunt in Co. I'd like to lighten up in this dept. what are some recommendations. what degree bag? what brands are your best bang for your buck?( no pun intended) what weight point should I try to stay under? any advice is appreciated!

crazyhunter

Banned
Any survivor in an environment has to have a snoozing bag on hand. There are conditions even in the ordinary day after day life that could gift challenges that could precipitate a situation in which one has to spend the night time out, even inside the wild a snoozing bag comes in accessible. Some drunkards have come to comprehend this object and lunge to the closest thicket to spend the night inner. They are also defensive from the water. Sleeping bags are transportable and are available for deep woodland excursions. So sleeping bag is very need for outdoor like camping for hunting, hiking and others outdoor activities.

Kurtm2323

FNG
Any survivor in an environment has to have a snoozing bag on hand. There are conditions even in the ordinary day after day life that could gift challenges that could precipitate a situation in which one has to spend the night time out, even inside the wild a snoozing bag comes in accessible. Some drunkards have come to comprehend this object and lunge to the closest thicket to spend the night inner. They are also defensive from the water. Sleeping bags are transportable and are available for deep woodland excursions. So sleeping bag is very need for outdoor like camping for hunting, hiking and others outdoor activities.

yeah what he said...

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I'm still dizzy from reading the previous post. I've had great luck with a Zpacks 20 degree bag and a NeoAir XLite. Just over 2 lbs. (34 oz) for both in a cuben fiber dry bag.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider

Your prose reminds me of someone.

R

A quality down bag will be about 2lbs for 15-20* and around 1.5lbs for the 30-40* bags. A good quality bag is going to cost about $300 (marmot).
Early season I usually just use a HPG Mountain Serape if temps are around 40*

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
I have a kelty cosmic down 40* bag I bought at REI for around $100. It packs down just a gnats ass smaller than my $600 zero degree bag and weighs about the same. I'm pretty happy with it for august archery hunting. I bring a FL uncompahgre puffy with me so if it does get unusually cold I can throw that on as well.

I have one of those x-therm pads and they're really nice. However, I'm not a huge fan of using them in warm weather. They reflect a crapload of your body heat which is great for winter but not so good in summer. I think I'm going to buy a cheaper pad with a lower R value for early hunts where all I need is comfort, not warmth.

If you're looking to stay lightweight, it's going to be hard to beat a quilt w/ a quality lightweight pad.

I'm currently using a 20 deg enlightened equipment revelation with a neoair xlite pad.

JP100

WKR
I have Just ordered a AegisMax M2, if your guna buy Chinese crap, buy it direct haha. Ali Expres has them cheap as chips and free shipping.(cost me about 150NZD)

Its listed at around 600 grams, or 1.3lbs(21oz). Rated to around 2-3 Degress C, around 30-35 F I think.
For summer it should cut the bill(here anyway), they seem to have good reviews online which is pretty surprising.
Aegis Max has a full range of bags and quilts at dirt cheap prices. I have been looking at them for a while, and reviews seem pretty good actually. They are cheap, Chinese, but good value for money it seems. They do use 800 loft down and most reviews think the temp ratings are accurate(the do supposedly have EN ratings). One thing all reviews say is to down tech wash them as soon as you get them and they are way better. Id say they have been stored compressed long term.

If it seems shitty I will probably order a Nitros from One Planet, same weight and rating more or less and around $400 AUD.
One Planet make good solid gear.

Depends on temps, but I think you should be able to get a bag around 500-600 grams(1.3-1.5 Lbs) with a rating of just around freezing, depends how cold you sleep and where your hunting, for here its not often close in the summer/spring(odd night might be close at high altitude), with a light down puffy you should get by.

Will do a review on the Aegis max experience after this summer haha.

Pad wise I use the small ThermaRest Neo Air, the half length one. Im 5'10" and its kind of knees to shoulders length. In warm weather its great, in cooler weather I use my sit pad under my lower legs(or my pack). I use this pad all year, and in the winter I do notice it beeing cold, but usually just put a closed cell foam pad under it. Mine weighs 235 grams/8.2 oz in its stuff sack

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few different Nemo bags. An Argali 15* down bag (waterproof tub floor/pad sleeve), and a Steelhead 20 synthetic. Like them both a lot. Definitely recommend much of the Nemo gear.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you looked at quilts? I went with a Hammock Burrow quilt for early season hunts. Saved me a ton of weight and while it has its limitations, the weight savings is huge....

Owenst7

WKR
I use an Xlite (12oz) and a 20° quilt (2 lbs) until it gets down around freezing. I frequently use a hammock if I'll be in lots of trees. I uncinch the footbox on the quilt and wear it upside down while I'm glassing - let's me leave the puffy at home.