Insulated Youth Hunting Boots?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
For general all around hunting for kiddos.. Backpacking, day hike hunts, etc.
Kiddo seems to run with cold feet, looking for a warm option for him that has decent quality. Thinking of using women's sizes?

What are you all using?

I am note sure the model, but we found some Keens on sale for my 12 year old boy. He used them last spring for his first spring bear hunt and hope that they still fit him for his cow hunt later this fall. They are a waterproof hiker with a little bit of insulation. Hopefully you can find something on sale with summer hiking coming to a close.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
My kids have been real happy with the warmth of these:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-YOUTH-CAMO-CROSS-G-RUBBER-BOOTS/2264473.uts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are they able to do much hiking in those? We have a few hours of hiking to do each day where we hunt so want to make sure he can move comfortably. I have been debating the Cabela's Iron Ridge Boot. Cabela's Youth Iron Ridge Hunting Boots with Thinsulate™ and GORE-TEX(R) : Cabela's
He tried it on and it seemed ok, but I struggle a bit with ensuring they know what they are talking about it when it comes to fit with my kiddos. : )

GregB

WKR
I just bought the iron ridges for my son for hunting. I've had to buy him new boots every year because he keeps growing. Last year was a pair of Herters and the year before was Danners, both were in women's sizes.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just bought the iron ridges for my son for hunting. I've had to buy him new boots every year because he keeps growing. Last year was a pair of Herters and the year before was Danners, both were in women's sizes.

He has a pair of Iron Ridges now as well. Hopefully they will do the trick. Seem like ok boots.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
After some initial break in, my 12 year old son spent 4-5 days tramping around in the Cabela's Iron Ridges.

1) They took a few miles to break in
2) They held up to some seriously rough country
3) Good traction

"Waterproofness" not yet tested.

All in all a good boot for a kiddo.
But, in looking at Cabela's website, these boots are now sold out, and the men's version is on a big sale.... Not sure if they are coming back or not.... Go figure.....

I had a hard time finding youth insulated boots for my son a couple years ago. Ended up getting him a pair of womens Irish Setters with 1000g thinsulate that weren't feminine at all. I always check on women's sizes now. I was told the rule of thumb is that women's sizes are two sizes bigger than the kids size so for my boy who wears youth size 5 now I buy him a women's size 7.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider
I fought with clothing sizes through the years, and then after having kids, still fought it.

The smart move is buying a heater body suit. Let the kid wear their normal stuff, then once in stand, stuff them in there. Footwear and all. They’ll stay toasty and over the long run, you’ll spend a helluva lot less; they are going to outgrow everything you buy them anyway.

All my boys just wore muck boots until they were about 13 or so. Always seemed to work well. Kids feet will get cold no matter what boot they are wearing, especially sitting. My 10yr old hiked all over Nebraska in these last year with 8 inches of snow and under 10 degrees. As long as we were moving, he was good.

scrizzy

FNG
Womens boots can work but womens sizing also runs narrower than a comparable length guys sizing so keep that in mind. Coming from someone who has had to wear womens boots sometimes but run into problems with the width

Dennyd

FNG
I have a hard time with my sons feet growing. So we buy cheapest boot that we can find, going on his third pair 14 years old. 4 th pair will be bought this month. Woooo