12 year old takes her 1st elk

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
took my 12 year old daughter out yesterday for her 1st elk. She was lucky enough to draw a youth only cow tag that let her hunt from aug 1st to dec 31st. I couldn't be more proud of her after setting up on three different cows and having her pass up the shot because she didn't feel confident in making the shot for multiple reasons (not steady enough rest, animal facing her straight on, ect) we found a nice cow with a spot for a perfect prone position shot. she dialed in the Mossberg youth model .243 and made a perfect 230 yard double lung shot. I'm proud that she had the ethics to wait until things were perfect for her.

Attachments

• alyssa's first elk.jpg
    alyssa's first elk.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
OP
DRP

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for the kind words, she enjoyed it so much she can't wait till next year. im very blessed to have a daughter that wants to spend time in the field with me. I hope that as she becomes a teenager that the desire to hunt with dad is still there.

OP
DRP

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
update: she did it again! my daughter drew a rifle buck tag and after 3 days of hiking she got the job done. we have done a lot of practice shooting and talking about making sure everything is just right to make a clean kill. We found this little buck bedded on a hillside and set up for the shot, we had to take a few minutes and let her calm down because the adrenaline was pumping hard (got to love it). She compiled herself and made an amazing 261 Yard shot. the buck never got out of his bed. I am so proud of this girl and the young woman she is turning into. This is one happy dad.

Attachments

• alyssa deer.jpg
    alyssa deer.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 44