0-20 Degree Sleeping Bag Under $200

NDGuy

WKR
Any good suggestions for a bag? Don't care what type but I got cold as hell last year on a hunting trip sleeping in my bag. I used a bouldercreek bag that I got for like $60 from Cabelas I think it is rated to "0 degrees" BS!

I was camping in a huge tent with a cot and had to layer up to stay warm even though it only got down to like 28. That is going to be my setup for the foreseeable future.

Have any of you used a bag under $200 that was pretty warm in those temps? I have been looking at REI, Marmot Trestles 15, Kelty, and North Face.

I will be going to Cabelas this weekend and looking to pick up a bag there if possible.

Any other suggestions would be great thanks.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I got a Moutain Hardware Hyperlamina on campsaver.com for around $120 on sale. It is a 20 degree bag and worked awesome in 28 degree weather on a cot in a tent last week. I don't think they are on that good of a sale anymore, but you can find one for a deal if you're patient.

dog812

WKR
I have been using a marmot trestles 13 degree for years, I'd say it was less then $100, weighs 3.5 #
I usually do all my hunts late season. About 30 nights. Sometimes in snow. I have never been cold in this bag. I would deff buy again. Everything still functions flawlessly.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I have been using a marmot trestles 13 degree for years, I'd say it was less then $100, weighs 3.5 #
I usually do all my hunts late season. About 30 nights. Sometimes in snow. I have never been cold in this bag. I would deff buy again. Everything still functions flawlessly.

REI has the 15 for $88 shipped or the 0 for $139 but I have a coupon. Wonder if the 15 degree rating difference is worth the $30.

How heavy are they? I read a review they don't compress easily but for truck camping that doesn't matter now, but needs to be considered for future.

ljalberta

WKR
Make sure not to overlook the insulation underneath you, it is essential to sleeping warm in those temperatures. What sort of pad or insulation did you use with the cot last time? Additionally, here's a really cheap option that popped up in discussion on another forum, especially with the Canadian dollar right now. I'm not sure if they ship to the US though. I haven't tried these products either, and at that price, I wouldn't expect great quality. Home | WILDERNESS EXCURSIONS There's a Facebook page with a few more details as well.

Last edited:

2hand

Lil-Rokslider
I second the HyperLamina. Retail is $240 but for a synthetic bag it's pretty light with good warmth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dog812

WKR
I have used it in all different types of hunts. Lords of backpack hiking hunts, fly in hunts,
It compresses enough. Weighs 3.5#
I did a 13 day, no base camp fly in sheep hunt, with a eberlestock back pack that definitely want designed to carry that much. And it was fine.
I am not rich... I'd rather spend $500+ on a hunt, then saving 1# and some space in my pack.

dog812

WKR
The bag is in there somewhere
0650286979b10a0cfc2983bc7d74a9bd.jpg

Tsnider

WKR
the encampment 15 from big agnes. used one for years and still have it. its my synthetic. just got a quilt so i will be using it this year just because its new and shiny.

elkduds

WKR
Cheaper solutions for camping by the truck: Good pad as noted above. Fleece sleeping bag liner. Yard sale sleeping bag, your current bag on the inside, like a relleno burrito. Personally I use an old synthetic quilt from a queen bed, a few stains and dog chews. 2 layers of that under my bag, a layer over the top, I'm warm in my 20 degree bag thusly wrapped when it is near zero.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Cheaper solutions for camping by the truck: Good pad as noted above. Fleece sleeping bag liner. Yard sale sleeping bag, your current bag on the inside, like a relleno burrito. Personally I use an old synthetic quilt from a queen bed, a few stains and dog chews. 2 layers of that under my bag, a layer over the top, I'm warm in my 20 degree bag thusly wrapped when it is near zero.

This is the route I might end up doing until I know I'm backpacking in. Instead of layering clothes, bring a warm liner and a quilt to wrap.

I do not have a pad so I should invest in one. What's a decent pad run? $60-100?

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I know new Big Agnes Lost Rangers are just over what you are looking for but you can find them used often for less. I love my bag and it seems to keep fairly true to the temp rating to the point of my giving away my warmer synthetic bag. If needed I will add a liner but I love the setup with the sleeping pad right in the bag so I am not rolling off it. I use the NeoAir pad and love that too. Its sometimes noisy but never need to repair it and I got used to the noise thing.

oldgoat

WKR
Sleeping on a cot like halves the comfort rating of your bag, same reason bridges and overpasses freeze before the highway do! Good advice above on second cheap bag around your current one since it doesn't sound like weight is an issue!

Daniel_M

WKR
I have several Wiggy's bags from 0*-20* and the FTRSS overbag, for the price they can't be beat. Not exactly small, but great when space and weight arent an issue.

elkduds

WKR
I do not have a pad so I should invest in one. What's a decent pad run? $60-100?

RS sponsor Camofire.com sells deeply discounted sleeping pads most days. You pay more for larger size, lighter weight. A Wally World self-inflating closed cell pad 2 inches thick will insulate well on your cot, but suck for backpacking (heavy, bulky). If you want to get a pad that will serve during colder backpacking hunts, the low end pricewise would by Klymit static V insulated, about $50 on sale. Neoair, Alps, Thermarest, a good review of backpack pads is here: Best Sleeping Pads of 2017 for Backpacking, Camping | OutdoorGearLab