0 degree bag help

Hey guys. My buddy is looking for a lighter weight setup in 0 degree. He doesn’t like a mummy bag. Rectangle bags is his preference.
What would you guys recommend?

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
Is something like a Nemo Sonic 0 boxy enough?

Having a bag with extra space in the legs is in conflict with having a warm bag.

LaHunter

WKR
If your buddy is looking for something that's packable / lighter wt, the WM Kodiak is awesome. It is a legit zero degree bag. Used mine this past year in 0-5 degree nights and slept great. It is larger than a mummy bag, but not rectangle. I am not a mummy bag guy, and I don't feel confined in the Kodiak. WM bags are expensive, but they are awesome bags. There temp ratings are realistic comfort ratings, not 'surviving' rated. A true rectangle bag is gonna have a lot of open space down in the leg area that's gonna make it harder for the bag to keep you warm, and it will be a higher volume bag when packed.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've got a WM Kodiak. A true zero degree bag. Under 3lbs in a long version. Once you start looking at true cold weather bags, rectangle goes out the window. Too much excess space to heat up and try to keep warm.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

wiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Is there much difference between the WM Kodiak and Sequoia when comparing leg room? Have been looking at both.

Is there much difference between the WM Kodiak and Sequoia when comparing leg room? Have been looking at both.

I have owned both. In my opinion the sequoia is much roomier especially from the waist down.

I feel the kodiak is very similar in fit to the badger but much warmer. On both the kodiak and badger the zipper stops near your knees. I much prefer the zipper on the sequoia as it goes the whole way down the side and across the foot of the bag.

I currently run a terralite and a sequoia. They are very similar in fit and cover just about anything I ever need.

kabarNC

FNG
I hate bags. I'm 6'4" and discovered quilts last year. It totally changed my outdoor sleeping experience. Get a 0 degree quilt for the cold times and open it all the way up for warmer. They are also super light and packable.

I went with Enlightened Equipment, but I almost bought a Katabatic Gear quilt as well. Went EE because they offer custom sizes.

HuntWyld

WKR
I had this same question about a roomier 0 bag. But I did not know that $800 was the going rate. Seems steep to me but I guess the price of quality

sneaky

"DADDY"
I hate bags. I'm 6'4" and discovered quilts last year. It totally changed my outdoor sleeping experience. Get a 0 degree quilt for the cold times and open it all the way up for warmer. They are also super light and packable.

I went with Enlightened Equipment, but I almost bought a Katabatic Gear quilt as well. Went EE because they offer custom sizes.
Quilts are great until you hit truly cold weather, then they are more trouble than they are worth. I run mine til temps hit the teens and then I switch to a bag. Way less hassle than a quilt once it gets that cold. Nunatak offers custom sizes in quilts, matter of fact most of the custom quilt makes will.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Takeem406

WKR
I can't say if a quilt would work in those tempts. But for around 20 degrees my 30 degree Enlightened Equipment has been fantastic. I'm even thinking about selling my new WM 10 degree bag for a 0 degree quilt.

The biggest thing with a quilt is you have to get a pad with a super high R value. I believe the Thermarest Xtherm is the king for R Value to weight ratio.

To get the extra 10 degrees in comfort range I used a Sea To Summit Liner. That adds a little weight but it gives me the nice swaddling feel of a mummy bag without the weight of one.

A quilt is also a lot lighter. I cut a pound or more going from a 35 degree bag to a 30 degree down quilt.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

kabarNC

FNG
I can't say if a quilt would work in those tempts. But for around 20 degrees my 30 degree Enlightened Equipment has been fantastic. I'm even thinking about selling my new WM 10 degree bag for a 0 degree quilt.

The biggest thing with a quilt is you have to get a pad with a super high R value. I believe the Thermarest Xtherm is the king for R Value to weight ratio.

To get the extra 10 degrees in comfort range I used a Sea To Summit Liner. That adds a little weight but it gives me the nice swaddling feel of a mummy bag without the weight of one.

A quilt is also a lot lighter. I cut a pound or more going from a 35 degree bag to a 30 degree down quilt.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I'm running the X Therm as well, really like it. I've had my EE 10 degree quilt down to 12 degrees on a couple windy nights, and loved it. The ability to turn over without my sleeping system turning into a garrote was what sold me.

Badger 5

Lil-Rokslider
I hate mummy bags, and got a 0 degree economy quilt from hammock gear. Light weight, packs small and super comfortable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk