0 Degree bag recommendations

Haven’t tried that bag, it’s definitely nice they have the pad holder on the bottom, would like to sacrifice some packability and weight by not having to sleep in my down stuff.

Yeah one thing I liked about the sg was the treated down or whatever they call it that doesn’t get matted down and repels the water, do you know if the kodiak has anything like that?
WM doesn’t use treated down. Here are the ratings for their fabrics:

* WM Extremelite fabric - 1200 mm (same as Kuiu Mountain Star, Summit Refuge tents)
* WM Microfiber fabric - 2000 mm
* WM Gore Windstopper - 12000 mm

Had a WM bag, with Extremelite fabric, go through an unexpected waterproofness test; specifically the foot box. This was under significantly worse conditions than the “rain” test videos done on this site and others. The bag did very well. This ran contrary to what the internet experts claimed would have happened.

BDRam16

WKR
I have a Marmot Never Summer 0* and did a few nights in the Wyoming snow storm a few weeks back with windchill around 10* where I was and ended up having to shed layers I was so warm.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider

* WM Extremelite fabric - 1200 mm (same as Kuiu Mountain Star, Summit Refuge tents)

Had a WM bag, with Extremelite fabric, go through an unexpected waterproofness test; specifically the foot box. This was under significantly worse conditions than the “rain” test videos done on this site and others. The bag did very well. This ran contrary to what the internet experts claimed would have happened.
Same here. My WM versalite gets pretty soaked at times in my tipi tent with all the condensation dripping down. Never been an issue. Been on dozens of hunts all across the west in every weather situation. Just need to test out Alaska next!

OP
J

Jevans44

FNG

Seems like it’s a selling point on a lot of bags is the dwr or having it treated but if WM doesn’t see a reason not to and they are one of the best bag manufacturers there’s gotta be something to support the reasoning.

Decker9

WKR
Which Taiga do you have? I forgot all about them. Would be nice to support my Canadian brethren.

I went with a -5c cloud 9 with hood. I opted for that bag because of its size. I’m 5’10 - 5’11 and skinny, i went with the medium, the large’s were all a few inches longer then I needed. Here’s a comparison beside my 6’ WM antelope with overfill.

35A470C1-6675-43C0-BAF4-BDB3FFD74E59.jpeg

Blandry

WKR
The GWS (gore windstopper) bags are great but for lightweight hunting it's hard to compare. They're heavier and if you don't need a mountaineering/expedition level bag (sub 15 degs) they don't make a lot of sense.

WM Kodiak GWS is what I have. Zero regrets.

I might go MF if I were going to do it again. Only reason being is the GWS can be tough to stuff back into the compression sack, and most people seem happy with the MF.

That said the GWS is absolutely bomb proof but has a 6 oz penalty vs the MF.

I run a WM antelope on an Xtherm pad and have never been cold. It's a true 5 degree bag, so not like all the other companies that have a stay alive rating. Warmest bag I've ever had. But it is a mummy. So I can't spread my legs which bother me but most people don't mind.