0 degree sleeping bag

ofl0926

WKR
So I am preparing for a hunt in 2023 with an outfitter. He recommends a 0 degree bag. I have been researching and reading lots. Saw the review from Rob about the stone glacier bags and it sparked my interest. I currently own a WM alpinlite. I was looking at antelope with overfill or the kodiak. I was looking at feathered friends as well.
All input and suggestions welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Explorer

FNG
You could get a 1lb ish down quilt to use in conjunction with your current sleeping bag. This would give you lots of versatility and weigh about the same as a 0*.

Legend

WKR
I run my alpinlite to crazy low temperatures. I put on my down jacket and booties and rocked it to -9 Fahrenheit once. My point is outfitters are used to people showing up with a Coleman sleeping bag. I would bet money that you will be fine with your alpinlite.

If there is a heat source like a walltent then I guarantee you will be fine. I use a 40 degree wm bag in a hot tent.

You could get a 1lb ish down quilt to use in conjunction with your current sleeping bag. This would give you lots of versatility and weigh about the same as a 0*.
I agree is probably buy a cheap quilt or even a puffy blanket for only a single trip.

But I do really like my chillkoot 15 so if I needed a colder bag I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

So I am preparing for a hunt in 2023 with an outfitter. He recommends a 0 degree bag. I have been researching and reading lots. Saw the review from Rob about the stone glacier bags and it sparked my interest. I currently own a WM alpinlite. I was looking at antelope with overfill or the kodiak. I was looking at feathered friends as well.
All input and suggestions welcome.

Where/what is the hunt? That could add some help with context.

Alpinlite has been my primary bag for a while and I just picked up a kodiak this winter. I'll say that I thought the kodiak would feel slightly roomier than the alpinlite based on specs but it feels about the same and I'm glad I didn't get the slightly less roomy antelope.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Where/what is the hunt? That could add some help with context.

Alpinlite has been my primary bag for a while and I just picked up a kodiak this winter. I'll say that I thought the kodiak would feel slightly roomier than the alpinlite based on specs but it feels about the same and I'm glad I didn't get the slightly less roomy antelope.

Northwest Wyoming late season rifle October.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
I agree is probably buy a cheap quilt or even a puffy blanket for only a single trip.

But I do really like my chillkoot 15 so if I needed a colder bag I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

Which quilt would you recommend?

If you don't have to worry about backpacking weight concerns.
Viam
El coyote
Ugq

If your not packing it on your back or concerned with bulk your options are about endless and really cost effective.

You really only need to sweat the details if you're backpacking it and concerned with size and weight.

Thats why if you want a real curated response we need as much info as possible.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
If you don't have to worry about backpacking weight concerns.
Viam
El coyote
Ugq

If your not packing it on your back or concerned with bulk your options are about endless and really cost effective.

You really only need to sweat the details if you're backpacking it and concerned with size and weight.

Thats why if you want a real curated response we need as much info as possible.

Not backpacking in. Going in with horses and mules. Pack has a weight limit of 40lbs for all my gear. If I buy a piece of gear, I want something that I could use for the future and that is versatile for this situation and a backpack style hunt.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I know this may be over your weight limit, but I have a Wiggy's 0 degree bag and it is outrageously comfortable compared to any of my down bags. I sleep so much better and can't explain why.

WCB

WKR
A quilt or fleece sleeping bag liner will help a ton and would be my recommendation depending on the temp rating of your current bag.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
A quilt or fleece sleeping bag liner will help a ton and would be my recommendation depending on the temp rating of your current bag.

Current bag rating is to 25 degrees

I’ll add a budget bag. The marmot never summer is on camofire every once in a while. I think it was about $180 last time I saw it. Great bag at that price

SquirrelyDan

Lil-Rokslider
I’d stick with Western Mountaineering. The Kodiak or Antelope from Hermits Hut with 3oz of overfill. I would choose a US hand sewn bag over some of the Chinese made ones above. With your alpinlite and a kodiak you will be set for just about every condition for the next 30 years. Buy American and don’t look back. Good luck !