0 degree weather- Choosing a bag

Is anyone on here camping in November? Would like to get a sleeping bag for that time of year and would like to know what others do. Was thinking about getting a Hilleberg. But I am not sure what bag to run, thoughts?

snakelk

WKR
We camped in the first half of November. 4 of us in a Seek Outside 6 man tipi with wood stove. 3 of us had Mountain Hardware Phantom 15's and the other a Big Agnes Mystic UL 15. We stayed warm (did not keep the stove going all night). It snowed 8-10 inches but temps did not get what I'd call super cold. We all had insulated sleeping pads (two running Thermarest Neoair Xlite pads).

Vandy321

WKR
Re: hot tent option

That all sounds nice, until you buy your bag based on also using a stove to stay warm...then CO institutes a year long burn ban and even in Nov, with 16" of snow on the ground, you cant have a fire.

Just get a Hille and WM zero bag and be done with it.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm camping year 'round :)

I've use two different setups for camping at ~ 0 degrees. One is "normal" 0 degree bag from Feathered Friends- it's their Snowbunting, but I had them add an additional 3 oz of down fill (overfill) and now have a bag comfortable to -5 (or lower). I've slept with this bag down to 0 comfortably with just base layers, dry socks and a light beanie.

My other setup is a 20 degree down bag (FF Flicker-also a couple of ounces of overfill)) combined with a 50 degree Apex (synthetic) quilt over the top. This setup helps with any water vapor effecting the down as it instead goes through the down bag and into the syn quilt which handles moisture better. A two bag setup gives you a little flexibility (two different bags), but it's a little heavier.

Both work :)

Outdoor Vitals is having a Black Friday sale right now. Bags are 15 percent off, 20 if you sign up as a member. The -15 degree Summit is a heater. The long version is $280 and change.

Outdoor Vitals is having a Black Friday sale right now. Bags are 15 percent off, 20 if you sign up as a member. The -15 degree Summit is a heater. The long version is $280 and change.
Are those bags made in the USA? i was just looking at that sale a second ago and couldn't find if they're in house.

Decker9

WKR
I’m in the same boat, gearing towards winter camping. So many mixed reviews on the “best bag”. I picked up both a down WM antelope and a 0 degree Kifaru slick bag. Tow opposites in a way, in the spring time, one will be sold.

Also have a hilleberg on the way, I’m nervous about the “condensation” rumours, and am hoping they are just user error. I’m really hoping the WM bag takes the cake.

ElMuercielago

Lil-Rokslider
I use Nemo for both lightweight backpacking tent and sleeping bag. They have been super solid so far.

Clarence

WKR
I too much of a pussy to camp in the northern Rockies in Nov without a hot tent.. but I’d get a WM kodiak if I wasn’t.
I'd take it a little further, tongue in cheek of course. If you're camping without a hot tent that time of year, you either just don't know any better, or can't afford one and are tough enough to still get after it. Appreciate the laugh wind gypsy and I couldn't agree more.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just don't know any better :D

vF2BaTT.jpg

Backpacking?? Location? Elevation?

If your truck camping Id look at cabelas

This is a kick ass sleeping bag for the price, and is what I use in November/Dec/Jan hunts next to truck.

If I’m packing in, I’m taking a heat source.

I hear a lot of bullshit stories about guys backpack camping in legit below zero weather in the Rockies for multiple days. But in my experience, they rarely do much hunting or last much longer than a day without a heat source.