0 degree weather- Choosing a bag

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Western mountaineering bristlecone, a good sleeping pad, and a 4 season good quality tent and you’ll be roasty toasty down to -10 F. Been there and done it.

WyoKid

WKR
I am a big fan of Slumberjack's Downwind dridown bags - a bit more room for side sleepers. No draft collar but if you wear a neck gaiter at night you don't need one. I have the 20 degree and used it 3 years for 3rd season Colorado Elk in Nov. Twice with a cold camp (wearing my puffy layers) and once with a hot tent. SLJ has a zero degree dri down as well.

Packer9037

Lil-Rokslider
Any good articles or videos you know of that help explain how to prevent/deal with moisture in your sleep set-up? I've been looking at some different bag options but don't really understand this moisture issue. Obviously first timer looking at this stuff.

Superdoo

WKR
Any good articles or videos you know of that help explain how to prevent/deal with moisture in your sleep set-up? I've been looking at some different bag options but don't really understand this moisture issue. Obviously first timer looking at this stuff.
This right here. 👆🏽👆🏽👆🏽
I have a great down bag that will keep me warm below zero. If it gets wet due to moisture from my body or me trying to dry gear out in it, I’ll be screwed.

wildcat33

WKR
Is anyone on here camping in November? Would like to get a sleeping bag for that time of year and would like to know what others do. Was thinking about getting a Hilleberg. But I am not sure what bag to run, thoughts?

WM or Mountain Hardware 0deg + R7 or higher sleeping pad and you’ll be good to go.

Unless you’re planning to pitch a tent gale force winds, no need for the Hille. Plenty of cheaper tents will do the job (msr). For the cost of a Hille you can get a hot tent which will be miles better all around.

Have ran the Kelty Cosmic down O deg bags for about six years now and this year got cold on both hunts with them. First hunt 6 miles in the WA backcountry spiked with temps in low teens but I didn't have an insulated pad so wherever my body touched the ground seemed to be cold but also didn't have vents open on tent which caused some bad condensation problems that made the exterior of the bag seem damp. Second trip in ID got down to 6 deg at base camp, had a ripping fire in the stove which made me sweat in the bag and then woke up freezing after fire went out and temps in the tent dropped. Gonna add an insulated Neo pad to the list, got a Thermorest bag liner to help temp rating of bag (anyone have experience with these?) but will eventually get a nicer bag but undecided on which one yet. Considering WM Kodiak or SG Chillkoot at the moment. Ran a 0 deg flannel lined bag for a late archery hunt in Nov in the teens and slept good.

*zap*

WKR
In your bag, if it is dry to start with, moisture comes from your breath. The draft collars on newer down bag are designed to seal off below your neck so the moisture does not go down there.....
Ideally you want your breath to go outside the bag but closing the hood up is one of the best ways to keep warm. I sometimes close up and get my head inside the bag and just leave a small opening to the side. That really depends on how cold I feel.

Beendare

WKR
Stephenson Warmlite used to have some great articles on moisture buildup in sleeping bags..... I dont know if they are still around

condensation on the inside of your bag is real in cold weather.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Number 1 thing NOT to do is bury your face inside your bag and breathe into it. That loads it up with moisture.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The WM Kodiak is s super nice bag. Don't breath in your bag. A fur ruff is worth it when temps are single digits all the time (It keeps your face warmer by slowing the heat loss).

I use a seek redcliff, sxl stove,xtherm max. Then for a bag, I changed to a wiggies this year, but had a western mountaineering bag previously. This is all in and around the Canadian rockies.

*zap*

WKR
Wiggys are superior at passing moisture thru the bag to the outside over down, that's for sure.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the bulk and weight of a 0 degree bag is significant over quality down, when you’re talking 30-40 degrees they are more manageable.

my suggestion above with a 20 degree down bag and a 40-50 degree synthetic quilt is a pretty good compromise- the benefits of synthetic on top (moisture passes through the down bag into the synthetic so your down maintains full loft. a weight and volume penalty, but not too bad

even better if you can utilize the lightweight syn quilt as part of your glassing setup

*zap*

WKR
the bulk and weight of a 0 degree bag is significant over quality down, when you’re talking 30-40 degrees they are more manageable.

my suggestion above with a 20 degree down bag and a 40-50 degree synthetic quilt is a pretty good compromise- the benefits of synthetic on top (moisture passes through the down bag into the synthetic so your down maintains full loft. a weight and volume penalty, but not too bad

even better if you can utilize the lightweight syn quilt as part of your glassing setup
What pad are you using at the low temps when you cold camp?

wildcat33

WKR

What kind of syn quilt are you using?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
What kind of syn quilt are you using?
Mountain Laurel Designs 48 or 38 (depending on temps) Spirit quilt (Apex insulation) with a “poncho” hole so it can be draped over for glassing- go a little wider and a little longer when using a quilt as a over quilt