0* F Down Bag For Big Dudes

KLWild

FNG
I have looked at a couple reviews of different bags for big people, but all of them have a 15*F rating for the most part. I looked at a bunch of different quilt options but have ultimately decided to stay away from them. Maybe will try one out for warmer weather. I was super interested in the Nemo Disco, but again, I want to try and get around that 0*F area. Some of the Rab bags seem awesome, but don’t seem to have the room for guys with a large stature.
I figured I’d throw this out here and see what people have had success with.
I am about 250lb 6’2” tall, and most bags constrict around my shoulders making it super uncomfortable. Looking for that 0*F range, let me knows guys!
Thank you!

Measure your circumference around your shoulders, hips, and feet. Then look for bags that work for you. You'll also need to look at do you want a mummy bag, semi-, etc. A WM Kodiak may work for you depending on your actual dimensions.

Also, don't get too hung up on the advertised temperature. There's a difference between T Comfort and T Limit (often used by vendors). You want EN tested values.

OP
KLWild

KLWild

FNG
Measure your circumference around your shoulders, hips, and feet. Then look for bags that work for you. You'll also need to look at do you want a mummy bag, semi-, etc. A WM Kodiak may work for you depending on your actual dimensions.

Also, don't get too hung up on the advertised temperature. There's a difference between T Comfort and T Limit (often used by vendors). You want EN tested values.
I have my measurements, and that’s why I was leaning towards the Nemo Disco, and the Rab bags provide real survival and comfort temperatures, but again, most of their 0* bags are just too slim. I’ll look at the WM Kodak, thank you!

I am your size. 50 size coat.

- Western mountaineering gets high marks here. Lots of shoulder room in a sequoia or Kodak. I haven’t had enough of a need to spring for one yet but that we be my vote.

- I have a Nemo forte. I like the spoon concept. Great leg and knee room. Shoulder width is OK for me It not great. I imagine the colde reversions are similar.

- I had an enlightened equipment convert (zips to a bag) made for me. They will make to you specs and mine is apex 30* but they can go much colder.

- Kifaru slick bag is not the lightest but it is bomb proof and very roomy.

in case you are in the market, borah bivy makes great bivy sacks and can add some girth to your specs. Lastly,I am a big fan of my 4 inch thick sea to summit etherlite pad. Super comfy even for a heavier side sleeper like me.

OP
KLWild

KLWild

FNG
I am your size. 50 size coat.

- Western mountaineering gets high marks here. Lots of shoulder room in a sequoia or Kodak. I haven’t had enough of a need to spring for one yet but that we be my vote.

- I have a Nemo forte. I like the spoon concept. Great leg and knee room. Shoulder width is OK for me It not great. I imagine the colde reversions are similar.

- I had an enlightened equipment convert (zips to a bag) made for me. They will make to you specs and mine is apex 30* but they can go much colder.

- Kifaru slick bag is not the lightest but it is bomb proof and very roomy.

in case you are in the market, borah bivy makes great bivy sacks and can add some girth to your specs. Lastly,I am a big fan of my 4 inch thick sea to summit etherlite pad. Super comfy even for a heavier side sleeper like me.
I’ll check them all out, thanks for the guides!

Thess87

WKR
I have a wm badger with overfill which they say puts it at a 5*. Wife has a versilite with overfill which makes it a 0*. I’m 6’8 275 and I have more then enough room. But your a touch rounder then me so check your measurements. Pretty much all good things to say about them though

Can't go wrong with the Nemo spoon design. I'm not nearly the size you are. Only 5'9 180lbs and just bought a nemo stalker 0* and I can do flips in that damn bag. Lol the spoon design really adds alot of room. And I believe you can now pick up a nemo stalker long for like 280 bucks which they are normally like close to 600 bucks.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

OP
KLWild

KLWild

FNG
I have a wm badger with overfill which they say puts it at a 5*. Wife has a versilite with overfill which makes it a 0*. I’m 6’8 275 and I have more then enough room. But your a touch rounder then me so check your measurements. Pretty much all good things to say about them though
Thanks for the tip, those things arent cheap!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Comfort is the temp the average female will sleep comfortably. Limit is the temp the average male will sleep comfortably. Extreme is the temp you'll endure without freezing to death but sleep probably won't happen. If the bag has been EN rated or ASTM rated the ratings apply the same. Comfort=female Limit=male. If you sleep hot, or cold, adjust what you're looking for accordingly.

Ammo29

FNG
I have been using a Marmot Never Winter 30 deg bag for 10 yrs and it had never failed me yet. It is light, compresses well and is true to its rating. I'd love to get a never summer for my winter trips.

I have looked at a couple reviews of different bags for big people, but all of them have a 15*F rating for the most part. I looked at a bunch of different quilt options but have ultimately decided to stay away from them. Maybe will try one out for warmer weather. I was super interested in the Nemo Disco, but again, I want to try and get around that 0*F area. Some of the Rab bags seem awesome, but don’t seem to have the room for guys with a large stature.
I figured I’d throw this out here and see what people have had success with.
I am about 250lb 6’2” tall, and most bags constrict around my shoulders making it super uncomfortable. Looking for that 0*F range, let me knows guys!
Thank you!
I have a western mountaineering Kodiak 0 degree bag I'm 6'1 and heavier than you fits me great I have wide shoulders too