0* or 20* Quilt???

B-Ridge Sledder

Lil-Rokslider
New to this back country hunting. Looking to buy once cry once option. I'm 90% sure I want a quilt since I'm not a back sleeper and usually warm when I'm in my old school bag and sleep with it unzipped. This year will be opening archery week elk in Colorado. But will probably switch it up every year and hunt different seasons and locations. I was set on 20* quilt but now I'm thinking 0* and just sleep with it open if its warm? Was set on EE quilts but I stumbled across UGQ on here and they are base few hours from me and have good reviews so I might lean that way. Then 10% of me wants a Kifaru Slick bag just because I like their pack so much. Will be sleeping on insulated Big Agnes pad on tyvek in floorless shelter. So I guess I'm open to opinions on what degree quilt to get and if I should have it overstuffed? Thanks.

Also interested in this... looking at cutting weight and space, currently have the Marmot Pinnacle 15* mummy bag. Same setup as you with floorless and tyvek

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
I split the difference and went with a 10° quilt from EE. I had a 30°, and thought I could just use my down jacket, etc. to boost the warmth, but frankly, there were a few nights where it just didn't cut it. So far, so good with the 10° quilt.
You are definitely on the right track by pairing it with an insulated pad. The combo works well down into the low teens, and if it is windy/colder, I boost it with my down jacket and a fleece cap. Total quilt weight is 27 oz.

OP
B-Ridge Sledder

B-Ridge Sledder

Lil-Rokslider
On warmer night how hard is it to stay comfortable or are you battling the overly hot overly cold battle.

I split the difference and went with a 10° quilt from EE. I had a 30°, and thought I could just use my down jacket, etc. to boost the warmth, but frankly, there were a few nights where it just didn't cut it. So far, so good with the 10° quilt.
You are definitely on the right track by pairing it with an insulated pad. The combo works well down into the low teens, and if it is windy/colder, I boost it with my down jacket and a fleece cap. Total quilt weight is 27 oz.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
On warmer night how hard is it to stay comfortable or are you battling the overly hot overly cold battle.

It isn't too hard, as I just do the good old 'hang a leg' and/or either flip the quilt down to my waist. If it is a really warm night, you can unzip the quilt fully, turning it into basically a flat quilt/blanket. That vents heat quickly, and is easy to regulate during warmer nights.

CiK01

WKR
I have a EE 20* quilt and froze my @ss off during a 30* night. I am moving to a WM or a Slick ASAP. I am an active sleeper and believe I will stay more encapsulated in a bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I have an EE 20 degree quilt that has been fine for high country in the summers (lows in the 30s) on a ultralight summer pad, down into the teens with a winter pad + a extra layer and down to 0 or colder with most or all of my layers. I sleep pretty warm and make sure to consume plenty fat when in the Backcountry, especially before bed. This is a highly individual thing, so I’d be sure to test your system out before committing it to a full trip.

Felix40

WKR
If you think you will do late season rifle hunts a 0 will be needed. If you want to stick with early season a 20 will be plenty warm. If you can afford to do the 20 now and 0 later, having both would be ideal. My EE 20 has been very true to rating. Some people cant figure quilts out but the weight savings is worth giving it a try. Slick bags are huge and heavy. Quilts are also very versatile for a huge range of temps.

reaper

WKR
How big it pack down?I would like to get one but space in my backpack is limited.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

CoHiCntry

WKR
I use a 0* degree EE for backpacking throughout the summer in Colorado. I would definately want the 0* if It was in September. Everyone sleeps different, but the weight penalty is so small to go to the 0* that it's a no brainer for me. You can always expose more of your bod if you get too hot. That doesn't really happen with me though. As mentioned, a good pad helps a lot too. If it were me, I would probably stick to a bag if temps were gonna be much below 30*.

slick

WKR
0* EE Rev user here. With Sea to Summit insulated comfort plus pad have been in the single digits comfortably.