0 Point Mule Deer

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
I drew an either sex deer tag in Colorado 2 years ago as a non-res with 0 points, so did 3 of my friends. 2/4 in our party were successful in harvesting does. We found some really nice bucks but couldn't seal the deal.

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
From what I gathered talking to a lady at MT FWP yesterday that is how is works on preference points for the general tag. If you select the preference point option and pay for it at the time of application and you aren’t successful in the draw then yes it would be awarded. However in the past few years anyone with 1 point has been 100% successful in drawing the general tag. You never really see that preference point per say. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.
I called Montana fish and game the other day before I submitted my application as it is my first year applying for a general tag in Montana. Lamb chop is correct I will have 2 points in the draw 1 point from 2019 and 1 point that I purchased when summiting the application.

Buck197

WKR
The 2 units I am looking at are near Denver and I would expect to see hikers. It would be my plan to get deep or high. Maybe both.

Im going to dig into Wyoming today. I have 0 points there for deer as well. Have you hunted Wyoming deer? Decent experience?
I used to live there, in Colorado, hunted that front range.its been a long time, but that rampart range area used to hold a few pockets of nice bucks if you get out of everyone's way. And there was a little spot going towards Deckers from there I used to call my honey hole, it was steep and deep, but not bad and there was usually a good buck or two in there if you put the time in . There used to be a trail near Highlands ranch, if you took the hike, there was an 11x11 and a wide thick horned devil..Years ago, but genetics.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies and information. Applied in a few states so far this year. Good luck to everyone when the results come out.

Marble

WKR
Thanks Denn
good advice here.

I'd only add that picking a unit you can actually visit preseaon only ups your confidence and success. I'd rather hunt a mediocre unit 50 miles away than a good one 1000 miles away. and at your point level, that's your two choices.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks saying that. Shortens my thoughts.

I hunt a 0 or sometimes 1 point unit in CO. We have killed some really big bucks there. I normally hunt 2nd season and might run into one guy hunting deer. I have lost opportunities on much larger bucks then I've killed there, and killed some smaller bucks at the end if the season. But I always get an opportunity. Point is, knowledge of the area you hunt is invaluable. Boots on the ground will give you information that's invaluable. Being present in different weather scenarios over periods of years gives you tools to know where to look when weather, pressure or whatever changes deer patterns.

Best of luck!!!

RCB

WKR
I drew DM011O2R with zero points as my first hunt ever in 2018. Filled my tag with a little two-point buck on opening morning. I applied again last year and did not get it, so there's no guarantee.