0 Point Mule Deer

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully some here can provide a little help as I plan hunts for 2020. I have done a lot of reading here as well as other forums and the information has been generally helpful but left me wanting a little more. Maybe you guys and gals can help a little more, share some experiences and or just provide some encouragement as my father and I prepare for our first mule deer hunt.

A little background about us. My father and I are avid whitetail hunters here in the midwest. We do have western hunting experience but that is limited to two trips. Both of those tripes being for elk. Although we didn't harvest elk on either trip we have had some great experiences and if I am being completely honest its my fault we came home empty handed one year. On both trips we packed into the high country for multiple nights at a time and are capable of doing that for a week or more. We both ave been reading up on tactics and hunting styles for early season mule deer as that's when we intend to hunt.

Now where I am looking for a little input. As I have been doing planning with the help of goHUNT.com it looks like some units in Colorado can be drawn with 0 points for the Archery season and if I purchase a pre draw point point in Montana the general deer tag could be obtainable there as well as the OTC option in Idaho.

Anyone have experience hunting these 0 point units in Colorado? I know they aren't the most coveted tags obviously, but are they worth hunting? Should we skip them, earn a point for next year and hunt somewhere else? Whats the chances of finding deer and possibly having chances at a harvest? The success rates look to be very respectable around 30% on a 5 year average in several of these units. I have seen people say these success rates are inflated by the private land hunters and (backyard bucks). Being Colorado and some of these units close to Denver I would expect to see hikers and what not, how do they impact the quality of the hunting?

Montana or Idaho is another option. I have been through SE Montana and it seems like deer are everywhere. Is the quality of this hunt, chances at success going to be better than CO? Is the MT General or Idaho OTC a more desirable hunt compared to the 0 point Colorado units? Whats the hunting pressure like during archery season in SE MT? I hunted elk in Idaho and man its steep, didn't see many deer but I wasn't in a high density area either but some units here produce good success rates as well.

Any help, thoughts and or experiences are appreciated.

Thanks Alan

bluemtn55

FNG
I am unfamiliar with the pre draw point in Montana. Could you explain what you mean here? I thought points were only available between July and Sept if not buying a license the previous year?

Shoes

FNG
Mountains near Denver have a higher chance of seeing people out there. If you guys are able to pack in a bit, you could still have a better than 30% chance.

Have you looked at Wyoming? I recall deer tags there being a bit easier to get than Colorado.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Mountains near Denver have a higher chance of seeing people out there. If you guys are able to pack in a bit, you could still have a better than 30% chance.

Have you looked at Wyoming? I recall deer tags there being a bit easier to get than Colorado.

The 2 units I am looking at are near Denver and I would expect to see hikers. It would be my plan to get deep or high. Maybe both.

Im going to dig into Wyoming today. I have 0 points there for deer as well. Have you hunted Wyoming deer? Decent experience?

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I am unfamiliar with the pre draw point in Montana. Could you explain what you mean here? I thought points were only available between July and Sept if not buying a license the previous year?

In Montana when applying for a general license on your application you have the option to purchase a preference point that upon paying for your application becomes active.

If you have 0 points going into 2020 but you select that option you then have 1 point for the 2020 draw.

If you ave a 2019 point and purchase a point on your 2020 app you will go into the draw having 2 points.

I would jump on an opportunity to hunt Colorado or Wyoming on low point tags. Archery especially can provide some opportunities in good units, though it is admittedly harder to punch the tags. I'd consider Montana especially and Idaho (at least with the hard winters lately) a noticeable step below the other two. Neither are truly OTC. Montana you draw a general tag and Idaho you have to buy one before they run out.

Shoes

FNG
The 2 units I am looking at are near Denver and I would expect to see hikers. It would be my plan to get deep or high. Maybe both.

Im going to dig into Wyoming today. I have 0 points there for deer as well. Have you hunted Wyoming deer? Decent experience?

My dad has, guided on private land with rifle tho. He has taken a couple nice deer there. Others there have taken very respectable deer. The deer in my profile was taken on a 1 point Colorado hunt with the same guide.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate it. Lots of good points.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
you can read forums and research sites until your eyes bleed. Eventually you need to just take the plunge, pick a unit and go. No amount of support from forum members save them taking you out is going to substitute for gaining your own experience and accepting the fact that you will most likely fail a bit before you figure it out.

Accept the challenge, realize there’s a huge chance one or both of you won’t punch your tag the first time you go out and let it rip......realize that harvest statistics are mostly comprised of people who do this yearly and still 60-80% of those people go home empty handed. So don’t be discouraged if it does take a few trips to tag out,

The strategy articles on gohunt about each state are a very good overall view of what to expect.

This is so true. Picking a unit is I think one of the hardest parts of planning a hunt.

I took that leap on my first elk hunt and it turned out being a great experience and I have no doubt mule deer will be the same. Thanks and great deer in your photo.

S.Clancy

WKR
You can hunt OTC blacktail in California. MT you have a strong chance of getting the tag (general) with 0 pts. You'll see tons of deer, but good luck finding big bucks.

Brendan

WKR
In Montana when applying for a general license on your application you have the option to purchase a preference point that upon paying for your application becomes active.

If you have 0 points going into 2020 but you select that option you then have 1 point for the 2020 draw.

If you ave a 2019 point and purchase a point on your 2020 app you will go into the draw having 2 points.

One thing to remember, Preference points are only used for the combo licenses / general draw in MT if I remember right. Bonus points are used for all permit draws.

So, preference points will help you get a general license, but not a permit area....

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
One thing to remember, Preference points are only used for the combo licenses / general draw in MT if I remember right. Bonus points are used for all permit draws.

So, preference points will help you get a general license, but not a permit area....

You are 100% correct.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
you can read forums and research sites until your eyes bleed. Eventually you need to just take the plunge, pick a unit and go. No amount of support from forum members save them taking you out is going to substitute for gaining your own experience and accepting the fact that you will most likely fail a bit before you figure it out.

Accept the challenge, realize there’s a huge chance one or both of you won’t punch your tag the first time you go out and let it rip......realize that harvest statistics are mostly comprised of people who do this yearly and still 60-80% of those people go home empty handed. So don’t be discouraged if it does take a few trips to tag out,

The strategy articles on gohunt about each state are a very good overall view of what to expect.
good advice here.

I'd only add that picking a unit you can actually visit preseaon only ups your confidence and success. I'd rather hunt a mediocre unit 50 miles away than a good one 1000 miles away. and at your point level, that's your two choices.

Good luck and keep us posted.

The MT deer tag is valid for most of the state except a few Mule Deer trophy units. It can be used on either species. It can also be used on a doe if no buck presents itself. SE MT does not have lots of pressure but it is mainly wide open terrain, and larger tracts of private property.

I don't think that is correct. The point is awarded if you don't draw (and you pay for it).

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think that is correct. The point is awarded if you don't draw (and you pay for it).

From what I gathered talking to a lady at MT FWP yesterday that is how is works on preference points for the general tag. If you select the preference point option and pay for it at the time of application and you aren’t successful in the draw then yes it would be awarded. However in the past few years anyone with 1 point has been 100% successful in drawing the general tag. You never really see that preference point per say. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider

good advice here.

I'd only add that picking a unit you can actually visit preseaon only ups your confidence and success. I'd rather hunt a mediocre unit 50 miles away than a good one 1000 miles away. and at your point level, that's your two choices.

Good luck and keep us posted.

This was the approach I took in my first year of hunting this season. Been a long-time backpacker, fly fisher, and backcountry snowboarding, but just started hunting in CO this season after our family picked up some land in Unit 50.

I didn't draw a tag for mule deer or elk in Unit 50 this year, so I decided on Unit 38, late season (Dec 1 - Jan 31) for both cow elk and either-sex deer. Even though this is an especially cold time to hunt, I thought this would be a great chance to learn a lot of things on my own since I could go up there for a day here and there over the course of 2 months, learn the area, scout a lot, move the trail cams around a few times, and if it works out with a schedule some hunt with friends to come along and show me a thing or two.

Even though it's not a great unit to get an animal, has been a great learning experience, and have appreciated it being so close to spend lots of time up there, analyze my decisions and what I saw between day-trips, and plan for the next time.