007 Montana Antelope

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
There's got to be several guys on here with a tag, who's all going? I know the area and goats pretty good, and have some good block management areas reserved to hunt. We're taking our little girl who went last year a couple weeks later than we're going this year, she was 3 months then and will be 15 months now. Antelope don't get me all that fired up but this is pretty much my hunt for the year and I'm starting to get excited to go

Smurph

FNG
good luck, I got my first antelope this year in Oregon. Didn't think I would like waiting on a water hole all day. I was wrong though, I really enjoyed the hunt and can't wait to do it again. Plus, a great way to extend the hunting season.

I have 2 tags and my daughter (15) does as well. This will be her first big game hunt and should be a lot of fun.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
The huff fire eliminated a lot of good hunting ground for The northern part of the region. Looks like I’ll be driving further East this year

Erict

WKR
I didn't draw a tag this year.

Just looked at the weather forecast for Forsyth - 103 degrees for a high tomorrow and 55 for a high on Monday (with a low of 33)! Can't imagine sitting in a waterhole blind all day with temps over 100.

Good luck to y'all.

TygerJ

FNG
Buddy and I both drew R7 tags this year for the first time. Never been in the area. Looking forward to hopefully a decent hunt with some chances at some respectable bucks.

Anyone have any tips or guidance to pass along?

Have hunted antelope in a few states, just never in MT.

OP
weatherbow21

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
My dad hunted opening weekend 2 years ago and said it wasn't bad at all, he was told opening weekend of deer was worse because people combo the deer and antelope, but we hunted opening weekend of deer last year and I was amazed at the lack of hunting pressure. I'm going for opening weekend this year, we have BMAs reserved for every day so I'm not concerned about too much hunting pressure. Having only antelope hunted in wyoming prior to last year, I wasn't expecting much in the way of antelope numbers or buck quality, but we saw a lot of antelope and some really great bucks.

TygerJ

FNG
Are the type 2 block management spots the best option compared to BLM and type 1s?

Haven’t yet tried to call and make any block 2 reservations yet.

OP
weatherbow21

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
You're probably too late for most of them at this point, but there are some that you just need to check in the night before the hunt. I wouldn't say type 2 is necessarily better, but its nice to reserve it and have it mostly all to yourself. Doesn't seem like theres as many type 1's but between those and public land chunks you'll do fine, we saw a lot of antelope last year on public ground. We went opening week of deer opener and the antelope were bunched up into really big groups (easily 100+).