06 Terminal Ascent v Trophy bonded

Hey guys,
My ridgeline 06 has done great with 175gr TA's. They are very hard to come by. I shoot my bow far more often than my rifle but am down to my last box of TAs and have been holding out for when they come back in stock.

A previous post got me thinking of giving the trophy bonded 165s a go. They are readily available and seem like they would still do a darn good job with flight etc. Does anyone have any qualms or issues of the bonded vs TAs? Potential for my wife to use them on an elk hunt this fall if I cannot get my hands back on the TAs.

This is not a long range situation and 400 yards and in is what we're talking about. Has anyone had good shots/good placement on elk go bad?

Just wanted to get overall thoughts/performance between the two who have shot both.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:

TN2shot07

WKR
I’m facing the same dilemma with a 270. Haven’t seen the TA’s in months so I ordered three boxes of the trophy bonded tips, my group barely moved. The ascent has a higher bc for reaching out (I don’t shoot far enough for it to matter) and they are supposed to expand a little better at slower speed.

I’ve used terminal ascent minimally, used trophy bonded tip extensively. Both shoot very well in all guns I’ve used them in. Use trophy bonded tips with confidence. They shoot well & perform well in game. Penetrate very well & retain high percentage of weight. Used them on deer, bear, elk

I would check ammoseek I see them on there fairly regularly. Just bought 2 boxes a couple weeks ago for normal prices.

But if the trophy bonded tips are what you have I would use them no problem. Killed an elk for me a couple years ago, but have since switched the the terminal ascents as my 06 shoots them much better

Shot a small bull with a 180 gr Trophy Bonded in 300WSM a few years back. This was at about 20 yards and "lights out". Entered behind the shoulder, jellied the heart, and came to rest just under the hide on opposite side. I recall good weight retention with bullet found in a perfect mushroom. Think a 165 in an 06 would be "big medicine" at range you are discussing.