1.6 oz Tripod rifle mount

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I need an impartial test dummy! I am working on setting up one of my rifle stocks to test this myself, but could use someone’s impartial testing and advice.

I just finished up 6 of these today. They are made out of titanium, and I made quite a few light-weighting cuts on it. It mounts via(2) 1/4-20 bolts, and (2) helicoils installed in the stock. Total weight is 1.56oz, plus maybe .2 oz of JB weld.

This is an arca Swiss adaptor so will only work with that style.

I’m located in north idaho and need someone to test this setup for me. I’ll do the install and let you have the adaptor free of charge, I just want someone that shoots a lot and will put it to the test. Looking for input on rigidity and POI input.
d2d5ddca59f2b20ec6fb11d5e50317c5.jpg
42870dd3d2b4f7862e49c9142491edec.jpg
6e62f643fb454becd9bea16ce1655e0d.jpg

If your interested, please let me know. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll be your huckleberry. I obviously don't live close to you but I can send you a stock. I currently use a picatinny rail setup and shoot off of a tripod but it would be great to have something lighter.
Im about an hour north of Boise.

Randy

eoperator

WKR
If you make one with sling stud, picatinny rail on front for bipod and arca swiss on back 3" fastener spacing I would buy several. Aluminum would be fine for me.

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
What’s your projected product cost to machine these from titanium?

It’s a good idea for some folks. Area419 dropped their short rail, aluminum, also 1.5oz, last month, starting shipping this week. Area419 4” Arcalock rail. It’s $45, and slotted to accommodate the existing t nut locations common to most stocks which come with dual studs or pic rails, or to be installed with the supplied T-nuts.

I personally use my bipod in enough varied positions along the forend depending upon the available support, plus shooting from tripod support, that I prefer a full length rail, which means about 6oz vs. ~3.2oz for two of these rails, mounted front and rear. But for an ultralight mountain rifle, these stubby options could be good.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Whose specs are you using for the dovetail? Really Right Stuff’s 1.5” dovetail specs?

There’s so many different specs out there that you can run into issues. For example Swarovski uses some random ass spec on the feet of their spotters and bino adapters. They call them arca swiss which doesn’t actually mean anything because there is no Arca Swiss universal spec and the size of the dovetail from swarovski fits very loosely in Really Right Stuff clamps. So much so that they can fall right out with the clamp closed.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Nice, here’s a link to their specs if you’re interested in comparing. I run a RRS anvil 30 and I’d be interested in youplate if it matches close to the RRS spec.

Many of these companies that are producing arca swiss clamps and such aren’t following any universal spec so sometimes you get lucky and it works well together, other times they flat out wont work. There’s similar issues with picatinny.

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nice, here’s a link to their specs if you’re interested in comparing. I run a RRS anvil 30 and I’d be interested in youplate if it matches close to the RRS spec.

Many of these companies that are producing arca swiss clamps and such aren’t following any universal spec so sometimes you get lucky and it works well together, other times they flat out wont work. There’s similar issues with picatinny.

Mine has similar dimensions as the RRS. I would be interested to know if they work in your anvil 30 (measurements are correct as I said) pm me if you wanna try one out

Terrapin

WKR

That’s great... now if they dimensioned it in such a way that shops could qc it without a vision system or a cmm it would be much more useful.

Ajvandenbosch8

Lil-Rokslider
I’d love to buy one. Or send you a carbon xbolt stock to install it on..... would look sweet on my Pro.

wakedye

Lil-Rokslider
I would be interested in buying one. I recently tried using my standard QR plate from my promaster tripod mounted with the swivel stud to see how I liked the concept. It worked pretty well but would love something like yours that keeps the plate from rotating on the stock. The only thing I don't like is how far the plate protrudes from the stock. We will see if this is a pain while hunting but so far I have only put the rifle in the gun bearer on my pack and taken it to the range.

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would be interested in buying one. I recently tried using my standard QR plate from my promaster tripod mounted with the swivel stud to see how I liked the concept. It worked pretty well but would love something like yours that keeps the plate from rotating on the stock. The only thing I don't like is how far the plate protrudes from the stock. We will see if this is a pain while hunting but so far I have only put the rifle in the gun bearer on my pack and taken it to the range.

I just changed my design a little bit, to remedy the protrusion distance and the sharp angles. I haven’t had a chance to make the new design yet but it is about .25oz lighter now also.

I did get the first ones torched and got the color scheme I was looking for. 551980CD-66D6-459C-B807-21D98E987D42.jpeg

lcpaul22

FNG
I would buy one or two of these but it's hard to get anything through the boarder to the frozen north. I love the idea of dropping the spotter if the tripod and tossing the tikka up for the shot.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Quick update.

Going to add another option with a pic rail section in front of the arca rail in order to use that style of bipod and retain the arca Swiss Mount option.

Got mine mounted up to my test stock. Will do some shooting with it and then do a stress test and see how much weight it take to destroy the stock where it’s mounted. (I mounted mine via helicoils, but the new mounting technique is going to be bedding in tee nuts, as this is a lot stronger.)

Felt great on my ball head and pan head 7B843AE3-B1B4-4386-847C-529184152359.jpeg66F4C2B8-0EA7-464B-971E-2AD7948C00C5.jpeg

Ajvandenbosch8

Lil-Rokslider
There are getting to be more options out there like this. I would prefer mine be just in front of mag well for tripod use. Thinking I'll get a couple of these soon: https://www.hendersonprecision.com/product-page/copy-of-universal-10-inch-1-5-d-rail

The only thing I don’t like about the Henderson arca rail is that it’s for a flat stock.... which is fine for a target rifle. I like this guys design specifically because of the better fit for a hunting style classic stock. The bevels inside make this what it is to me. IMHO

OP
Salmon River Solutions

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The only thing I don’t like about the Henderson arca rail is that it’s for a flat stock.... which is fine for a target rifle. I like this guys design specifically because of the better fit for a hunting style classic stock. The bevels inside make this what it is to me. IMHO

I just made 9 in the flat bottom style. That was requested by a lot of people running stocks such as manners/McMillan/AG. I will have both options. As I proceed, I may add a third option with a larger radius, as an in between. That would match something like the HS precision stocks that come on the sendero.

5 flat style and 5 radius style are being shipped out to 8 different people tomorrow for testing with my redesign, the adapter weight dropped to .87oz, and the tee nuts and 1/4-20s bring it to a total added weight of 1.5oz.

E38BF086-213D-40B1-A016-5119A2134361.jpeg

Ajvandenbosch8

Lil-Rokslider
I just made 9 in the flat bottom style. That was requested by a lot of people running stocks such as manners/McMillan/AG. I will have both options. As I proceed, I may add a third option with a larger radius, as an in between. That would match something like the HS precision stocks that come on the sendero.

5 flat style and 5 radius style are being shipped out to 8 different people tomorrow for testing with my redesign, the adapter weight dropped to .87oz, and the tee nuts and 1/4-20s bring it to a total added weight of 1.5oz.

View attachment 167979

Well please count me in on one with a radius please I’m anxiously awaiting the opportunity to purchase!