1:8 Tikka .243 Win rechamber to 6mm Creedmoor?

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
Is this possible? I don’t reload yet so access to factory 108 eldm would be the reason for the switch to 6mm Creedmoor. I’ve heard it done with the 22-250 to 22 Creedmoor rechamber but am not sure if the chamber specs would allow it on a 6 Creed.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The case of a 243 Win is physically longer than that of a Creedmoor, so the tenon would have to be cut down and the shoulder set forward.

If there is enough meat on the shank it can probably be done. Not sure it is a good idea. LRI charges $375 for barrel fitting.

You can get a PVA Osprey prefit chambered in 6mm Creadmoor for $621 at the moment, odds are that it will shoot better than a factory barrel with a bunch of machining done to it. You can get a Preffered Barrel Blanks prefit for $420. An X-caliber for $480.

OP
D

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Marbles, exactly the info I was looking for. I had already placed an order with PVA on their sale, but was wondering if there was a more cost effective way to do the 6 Creed with a takeoff barrel. I’ll stick with the current plan.

Getting a hammer forged factory barrel for cheaper sounds good, but most all of the button rifled prefit options from different manufacturers seem to shoot as well or better than factory. Going from a hammer forged barrel to a hopefully “stress relieved” button sounded like it could be a downgrade in barrel quality.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
Im also sure your 8-twist 243 takeoff barrel would sell quickly in the classifieds, so that would offset some of the cost of a new barrel.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks Marbles, exactly the info I was looking for. I had already placed an order with PVA on their sale, but was wondering if there was a more cost effective way to do the 6 Creed with a takeoff barrel. I’ll stick with the current plan.
I'm jealous.
Getting a hammer forged factory barrel for cheaper sounds good, but most all of the button rifled prefit options from different manufacturers seem so shoot as well or better than factory. Going from a hammer forged barrel to a hopefully “stress relieved” button sounded like it could be a downgrade in barrel quality.
Once you start cutting the throat and chamber of a hammer forged barrel I'm willing to bet some of the benefits from the work hardening go away. Not certain on that, because the work hardening is full thickness. It certainly puts you back at the mercy of machining precision though, so moves it closer to a cut barrel in that respect.

I am not a machinist, nor gunsmith, just a nerd; so what I say should certainly yield to any more authoritative opinions.

@Macintosh I agree. I have been trying to be good, but I would be tempted to buy it.