1:8 twist 300 PRC?

Vandy321

WKR
The CA ridgeline TI and seekins element in 300 PRC are calling my name, it'll be one or the other...although if these twists don't work out, I may just go with a 7mm rem mag in the CA. Why does nobody make a 1:9 in a factory 300PRC?

A little concerned that 1:8 in a 24" bbl will be over spinning say 214 hammer hunters or 212 eld-x with the ridgeline....but sure would like the 1:8 over the 1:10 (seekins) in case i want to shoot some 230 a-tips.

Not a ballistics expert and I do not reload anymore. My ammo us all either factory offerings or I have Unknown Munitions load up my hunting ammo.

Any experts on here have input one way or the other? Litz says the 1:10 is the min for berger 215s...so figure the 225 eld-m 230 a-tips may be a bit too heavy for the seekins element with that 22" 1:10

Really trying to stick to 30 cal...wish I could jsit get a 1:9 or so...may end up dropping down to the 7mm rem mag and either of these rifles if neither of these twists seem to be ideal.

Last edited:

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Hornady set up the SAAMI specs for the 300 PRC to be a 1 in 8 twist rate. That's why rifle manufacturers set them up that way. I think you'll be fine with 215ish grain bullets in the 8 twist. It's possible you'll actually boost your b/c with a slightly faster than needed twist rate. Otherwise you'd be looking at building one to get a 1 in 9 twist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Hornady set up the SAAMI specs for the 300 PRC to be a 1 in 8 twist rate. That's why rifle manufacturers set them up that way. I think you'll be fine with 215ish grain bullets in the 8 twist. It possible you'll actually boost your b/c with a slightly faster than needed twist rate. Otherwise you'd be looking at building one to get a 1 in 9 twist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wondering why seekins decided to build it in a 1:10

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I don't know if was on a podcast or in one of his books but Litz said you have to be on the extreme edge with a very fast twist, pushing small for caliber bullets very fast to see issues.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I don't know if was on a podcast or in one of his books but Litz said you have to be on the extreme edge with a very fast twist, pushing small for caliber bullets very fast to see issues.
Thanks Ryan. just read some posts on the hide from DT a bit ago that talked about over-reving lighter bullets...the math confused the heck out of me, so figured I'd just ask here for a solid/simple answer. I'll take your word for it. A bit sad. The puts the Element back on the shelf, but from what I've read, I think I'll be thrilled with the Ridgeline TI as well...have seen some posts of yours on CAs and you seem to be a fan.

Totoro

WKR
My RBros 300PRC wears a 9 twist and no issues with the Berger 230. I havent used the 245 offerings since the 230 shoots so damn well.

Have shot it at ASL up to 8800 in Wyo and as long as I do my part, POA = POI.

I would guess the 8 twist be better suited for the 245+ pills.

The begara 300prc is 1:9, I found a killer deal on 225s ($35box) so I bought a case and decided to buy the begara and see how I like it.