1 area Idaho

mlucashr

FNG
Planning first trip to Idaho for mule deer this fall with my two hunting buddies. The 3 of us have general deer tags. We are experienced hunters from Oregon. We are not new to out of state hunting but are new to Idaho hunting. We are in shape, working hard to stay in shape, and pumped to backpack into an area that dosnt necessarily have to hold a monster. But we would like to see deer and be able to shoot a couple of respectable mule deer and have a great trip. Also, we're rifle hunters.

So here's my question. If there was a unit or two that would give us the opportunity to see minimal people getting somewhere between 2-6 miles from a trailhead; what unit would you choose. I'm just trying to narrow it down to a 'unit' to start my scouting. Ultimately my feet will be on the ground in September for scouting/bear trip in lue of the upcoming deer trip. Please PM me if you don't want it out there. I totally understand. And if you don't want to say that's fine too. I've read on this forum for a long time and find the majority of the information to be great. I posted a couple of questions months back asking questions about specific units, but there is so much land out there I thought it could be better to pose this one. Again any info is appreciated. Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience all you have to do to get away from people in Idaho is go UP. Distance from a trail head isn't as important or as a big a factor vs how much vertical you put between you and others. If you are willing to go up a nasty 2000' climb on a hill that doesn't have a trail going up you will quickly find yourself alone.

brn2hnt

WKR
My suggestion would be to leave from a NF rd instead of a trailhead. Everybody at a trailhead wants to go deep. It seems 1 mi from a random rd is much less crowded than 4 mi in from a trailhead. Only other suggestion is to consider how close you are to Boise/mountain Home/Twin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk