1 MOA

Ucsdryder

WKR
At 800 yards 1 moa is about 8”. If you’re 1 moa off your POA, is that 4” high or low or is that 8” high or low (left or right)? I guess my question is moa calculated of POA or POI?

You answered your own question. At 800 yards 1 MOA is about 8". MOA isn't calculated, it's a constant angular unit of measure. Example= 1 MOA at 64.7 yards is the same as 1 MOA at 64.7 miles, 1 MOA is 1 MOA regardless of distance. People get lost in the whole MOA/MIL/how many inches is it?

Seems like you're thinking about the edge of a 1 MOA group perfectly centered around POA (they usually aren't) compared to a strictly MOA angular measurement.

Keep in mind a 5 MPH full value wind likely moves your bullet 2+MOA at 800 yards. That's strictly horizontal but there's probably a vertical wind component as well many don't consider.

Pretty easy to miss POA by over 8 inches at 800 yards.

WCB

WKR
Deadwolf has it. If you are calling a miss it is from POA. 1moa would be a POI 8" from POA.

If you shot a 1MOA group .5 MOA from your POA you would have approximately an 8" group with the center of that group being 4" from POA.

davsco

WKR
your first sentence says it, just do it backwards. if you're 8" low at 800 yds, you'd dial or hold ~8moa to hit the center.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
If you are 8” off your point of aim, then you would be 1 MOA off in your example. If you were 4” off your point of aim you would be .5 MOA off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So you’re saying that 8” low and 8” high of POA is 1 moa? That’s 16”.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
If you are 1 MOA “off” at 800 yards you are 8.4”
“off”. It doesn’t matter which direction.

Last edited:

deadwolf

WKR
So you’re saying that 8” low and 8” high of POA is 1 moa? That’s 16”.

That’s not what I’m saying.

In your example above if you were shooting for the bullseye at 800 yards and you had two shots 16” apart, you would have a 2 MOA “group”.

What I am saying is if you aim for the bull’s-eye on a target at 800 yards and your shot is 8 inches away from that bullseye then you are one MOA off. Also, let’s say you shoot a 5 shot group at 800 yards that falls within 8 inches, that would be a 1 MOA group. 8” at 800yrds is 1 MOA. 1” at 100, 2” at 200, 3” at 300….etc etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WCB

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
You shoot 4 shots all with the exact same POA. Impacts are one each, straight up, straight right, straight left, and straight down from POA. All 4” away from POA. This is a 1 MOA group, but no impact is more than 4” from POA.

One impact 8” away from POA is 1 MOA off.

The difference is measuring groups vs individual shots. I think…

fbhandler

WKR
Group size vs POA to POI is measuring 2 different things… usually for at least 2 different reasons

crich

WKR
If you move POA 8 inches you moved it 1 MOA. Theoretically you can have 1 shot from each POA right next to eachother. One to the left of the imaginary 8 inch circle and one to the right of the other imaginary8 inch circle.. and vice-versa.

Clear as mud... haha

1 moa off at 800 yards is a little over 8” off poa. Or poi is 8” off poa. Poa vs poi doesn’t really matter. It’s the same more or less. And in my opinion even if your group is 1 moa (little over 8”) at 800 yards either your load/dope needs work, rifle can’t perform and or shooter needs work. That’s way to big of a group for LR hunting.

Last edited:

Flyrodr

FNG
Prefacing this with LR shooting being new to me, but are you saying you (one) should be able to shot a 3- or 5-shot group of less than 8 inches at 800 yds more or less routinely? Well beyond me.

Thanks

Prefacing this with LR shooting being new to me, but are you saying you (one) should be able to shot a 3- or 5-shot group of less than 8 inches at 800 yds more or less routinely? Well beyond me.

Thanks

[Edited]: It's not uncommon or difficult to shoot occasional MOA 3 or 5 shot groups at 800 yards.

If you have a scenario where a cold shooter walks up a location they've not shot and has to put their first 3 or 5 shots on a 1 MOA target (8.4" circle) at 800 yards, my money is on 1 or more shots missing that target with most situations or competent shooters on this forum.

People like to forget all the times that their first shot wasn't in that group, or that the range conditions on a flat range dont represent field conditions, or that their group wasn't centered on the POA.

Besides an accurate rifle and a good shooter, it also requires good consistent ammo and consistent wind conditions accross all shots in the group or a shooter competent enough to hold differently based on reading the change in conditions.

Say you have consistent ammo and wind conditions, the group also has to be centered on the POA for all this "group size" to matter. A 1 MOA group at 800 doesn't do you a lot of good in a hunting situation if your group is centered 17" (2 MOA or a roughly 5mph wind deflection) from the POA. That is something that is frequently missed. We get so wrapped around our gun and load shooting tight groups that we forget that the first shot wasn't near the original POA and we had to adjust in order to put that nice group on the target.

Last edited: