10", 12" or 14" Pac Boots: Help Guide Me

winny94

FNG
Getting ready to pull the trigger on some pac boots, but need to decide what height. I know the basic tradeoff goes: the higher the boot, the more snow protection at the cost of weight, difficulty to put on, and long laces. Vice versa the lower they are.

Hunting in 10" snow is not uncommon, often less, rarely more (but not unheard of). Is this a case of better to have and not need, or figure out the rare situations where I need more? (for example, a pair of gaiters solves that issue, but at the cost of another $80) Weight is not a concern, rarely do we put on more than 2 miles on given hunt where these would be worn. My bigger concern is more of a mild irritation - I have acquired a good collection of Darn Tough mid calf hunting socks and do not like the feeling of the boot over the top of my sock. Will the 12" or 14" be taller than a mid-calf Darn Tough?

Any tips, advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Deadfall

WKR
If the package boot is too tall, will wear our calf muscles. Ie make them burn more. 12 inch is plenty. If real deep snow get oversized gator

csutton7

FNG
I use my 16" Shnee's exclusively and I have a pair of 13" Shnee's also, even though you didn't mention 16" I decided to add to your measurements. I've used them for years hunting mountains and flatlands.

OP
W

winny94

FNG
If the package boot is too tall, will wear our calf muscles. Ie make them burn more. 12 inch is plenty. If real deep snow get oversized gator
Yea, i think ive ruled out 14". 10" or 12" should be more than enough and I should just keep my eye out for a pair of gaiters

Coldtrail

WKR
If they last a while ive found the leather uppers on the 12"+ height boots can wear and get soft, when this happens they lose the support you bought them for & develop a "sag" and will crease right at your achilles, if ypu have thin liners you will feel it. I've gone to 10" with good gaiters, works much better for me.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Schnees Hunter II 13” w Kennetrek gaiters are the bomb. The gaiters add a lot of warmth besides the normal barrier to snow, moisture. Just don’t drive to trailhead wearing them, too warm and bring an extra sock change if you are pounding miles, damp socks = cold feet when you glass long.

Elknutty

FNG
I second the Schnees hunter 2 in a 13”. They are comfortable all day long and even if the snow is deeper than the boots, hardly any snow goes down the boot.

I have Kennetrecs in 13 (or 14...whatever the taller ones are) and Hoffmans in 10. The Hoffmans are the colder style model with more felt and more bulk. I like them both. The 13's feel like the offer support and some additional lower leg warmth. The 10's are nice as I can have them half laced up and slip in and out of them coming in and out of the house when its snowy outside without lacing up and unlacing.

As far as snow depth, you can use gators, of a shell or coveralls can slide down over the top to some extent making the extra 3 inches of height a moot point from that perspective.

BTW, both the Kennetrecs and Hoffmans are great boots (and I'm sure the Schnees are as well).

I have both Schnee's Cowboy in 14" and the Hoffman Thins in 14". I cannot rave enough about the Hoffman thins. Air Bob soles and they fit well. Not nearly as clunky and bulky. Can really travel.

I'd use caution about finding gaiters that fit over pac boots. The 14" to me are the no brainer. Really splitting hairs over 12 vs 14. You're adding the weight, bulk and BS of a gaiter anyhow.....why not skip it and run a tall boot?

Unfamiliar with "irritation" in the calf area. I can run pacs in No Sho socks. There is zero need for over the calf socks. If you're going less than 2 mile it almost defeats the purpose of a well made pac boot. Go to your local Cabelas and slum some Chinese muck boot variety and be done with it.

I've been running schnees 10 inch hunters for years. Recently got a set of hoffman 12 inch mountaineers with felt liners. IMO either with a good gaiter are good for deep snow. The hoffmans are much warmer.